SLED PERMIT ORDERS

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

26 minutes ago, gobills said:

Most people are invested in the sport we all love very heavily.   For the people that wish to complain about a said potential increase you really need to step back and look at what your getting for your 190 if you get it early.  You get access to an  entire province of trails that most people will never see.  Just to put things into perspective my son went to Ifly indoor skydiving last weekend it was a 75 dollars for about 3 minutes no joke(was it worth it hell no, did he have fun  yes and will he remember it yes).  

Myself i have contemplated getting out of it all, but never due to the permit price that is the cheapest part of it all in the big picture.

Most people that trailer will spend this travelling for one weekend alone on fuel let alone food, beverages(if thats your thing), hotel ETC.ETC. 

i would love to see the OFSC increase the price if it helps the clubs and maybe help enforcement get out there more. IE. trail patrol, hand out heavy fines for freeloaders i am all for it.    Personally i think a fine should be $500 and you have to buy a permit on top.  I think its time to hit this freeloading thing hard enough is enough. 

I hope that this year we can see the matrix increase for next year its time.  The trails are busier and busier each year and by the sounds of it we have a lot of freeloaders out there that need to be stopped and if a permit increase will help us have enforcement then lets go raise it up.  

Well said. I am all for the enforcement.  Other then on certain L series trails in the NCDN, which i do not want to be bothered on..:grin:..

All joking aside, the price needs to rise just to cover inflation etc, let alone everything else. If you want to ride, and ride decent mileage,  you can no longer count on the weather for the south. If you have to trailer to snow, dont worry about the trail permit cost, that's for sure. Some folks cannot travel to the snow, and i understand that.  But nowadays most folks cannot sled in the south, want to be able to ride miles,  and dont trailer. The weather has been so hit and miss the last few seasons.  If you live in the south, and cannot trailer to snow, and have an issue with potential permit price increases,  maybe its time to think twice. Some people with never be happy, no matter what happens. 

Edited by IQ TURBO
  • Like 2

Does anyone know what a day permit is this year.

What options are available 1, 3, 7, 10 ?

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

Does anyone know what a day permit is this year.

What options are available 1, 3, 7, 10 ?

Multi day permit is $35 minimum 2 days.

On 10/2/2019 at 6:16 PM, Canuck said:

There was a connection between permit prices and annual sales. Prices rose, permit sales fell.

I spoke to this at AGM, years ago. We had some awful winters (southern Ontario) in the ensuing years and I was thankful that prices were in the $190 range.

During the ensuing years, I kept asking: a) non permitted sledders (riders stopped at trail, on ofsc trail, without a permit) and b) non sledders (i.e taxi driver in a northern town) what they thought permit cost. Standard answer - $400. 

We kept permit prices low, and kept riders 'in the game'. But somehow the message about the 'low' permit cost didn't get out (imo).

Tread carefully as you proceed north of $200 (plus s & h)'; realize that Ontario riders pay insurance on top of this (unlike quebec's $330 permit that includes $1 million liability and $2 million for club). Would any of us on this forum bail over a $240 permit. NO. Not for one sled. But if we were keeping 2 or 3, for occasional family ride...yes. You might add it up. What's your tipping point? 

Get the message out re: the bargain Ontario sledding is, from permit price perspective.

A family permit option say on 3 or more sleds would take care of that so you can bump individual prices.

Ordered mine (4) this AM.

Edited by ArcticCrusher

On 10/3/2019 at 8:19 PM, gobills said:

Most people are invested in the sport we all love very heavily.   For the people that wish to complain about a said potential increase you really need to step back and look at what your getting for your 190 if you get it early.  You get access to an  entire province of trails that most people will never see.  Just to put things into perspective my son went to Ifly indoor skydiving last weekend it was a 75 dollars for about 3 minutes no joke(was it worth it hell no, did he have fun  yes and will he remember it yes).  

Myself i have contemplated getting out of it all, but never due to the permit price that is the cheapest part of it all in the big picture.

Most people that trailer will spend this travelling for one weekend alone on fuel let alone food, beverages(if thats your thing), hotel ETC.ETC. 

i would love to see the OFSC increase the price if it helps the clubs and maybe help enforcement get out there more. IE. trail patrol, hand out heavy fines for freeloaders i am all for it.    Personally i think a fine should be $500 and you have to buy a permit on top.  I think its time to hit this freeloading thing hard enough is enough. 

I hope that this year we can see the matrix increase for next year its time.  The trails are busier and busier each year and by the sounds of it we have a lot of freeloaders out there that need to be stopped and if a permit increase will help us have enforcement then lets go raise it up.  

Unfortunately the OFSC's attitude is to get rid of Trail Patrol, just look on their new website, not even a mention of TP on it. Even under where it says trails are patrolled by OPP, local police agencys and conservation officers and not even to include their own TP is pretty pathetic IMO. 

You'd think especially with the demise of STOP and not many OPP resources on the trails, that they would be promoting and helping their own Trail Patrol, rather than hiding it and wanting it to go away. Clearly they did NOT listen at the AGM. Our permit buyers, landowners, clubs, and communities in general deserve to have and active Trail Patrol presence on OUR trails. 

• Thanks 2

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, IQ TURBO said:

Guys, even if it goes up 25 bucks, if your involved with sledding, and your panicked about the increase,  you may need to rethink being involved.  Not to make a jab at anyone,  i for one KNOW the COSTS of this sport,  but sledjunk is right.  We all want the best for this sport, but it needs more money. We all want more grooming,  more this, more that. It all costs money.  You have to pay,  to play..B)

Absolutely... It amazes me that people don't hesitate to spend $15K on a sled, $7K+ on a trailer, all the gear, boots, suits and helmets, $100+ for a motel/hotel room for a place to sleep for possibly two nights per weekend. $100 a day for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus the bar bill, then whine about the best bargain to participate in the sport... the trail permit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

then whine about the best bargain to participate in the sport... the trail permit.

I don't get the mentality either. My mom's boyfriend called me yesterday to say he got a sled trailer as the local trails are gone around him until lake simcoe is safe. I said get your trail pass before Nov 1st to get the discount, he says he's not going to bother since I haven't been checked in years. He was shocked when I told him I don't ride with free loaders:huh:

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Poo Man said:

I don't get the mentality either. My mom's boyfriend called me yesterday to say he got a sled trailer as the local trails are gone around him until lake simcoe is safe. I said get your trail pass before Nov 1st to get the discount, he says he's not going to bother since I haven't been checked in years. He was shocked when I told him I don't ride with free loaders:huh:

Good for you, and thank you!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Poo Man said:

When you own 4 sleds and two of them are backups, there comes a point when you have to make a choice.  The more the seasonal permit price goes up the more one needs to look at day passes.  Sorry, but just reality.

Yah tell that freeloader off.:D

Edited by ArcticCrusher
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Absolutely... It amazes me that people don't hesitate to spend $15K on a sled, $7K+ on a trailer, all the gear, boots, suits and helmets, $100+ for a motel/hotel room for a place to sleep for possibly two nights per weekend. $100 a day for breakfast, lunch and dinner plus the bar bill, then whine about the best bargain to participate in the sport... the trail permit.

See below.

9 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

When you own 4 sleds and two of them are backups, there comes a point when you have to make a choice.  The more the seasonal permit price goes up the more one needs to look at day passes.  Sorry, but just reality.

Yah tell that freeloader off.:D

It's just reality.

10 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

When you own 4 sleds and two of them are backups, there comes a point when you have to make a choice

If it was me and one sled was out of commission early in the season I would get a replacement permit and put it in on the backup. As long as your not using both sleds at the same time I personally don't see the issue

On 10/3/2019 at 8:43 PM, IQ TURBO said:

Well said. I am all for the enforcement.  Other then on certain L series trails in the NCDN, which i do not want to be bothered on..:grin:..

Just stay on your side of the trail......

Over the last 3 years, I have spent on average a thousand dollars a season and gone less than 500 miles over those years.

looking at our hockey schedule, for the first time in over  20 years, I am seriously considering no permit and yanking the insurance too for this year.

44 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

If it was me and one sled was out of commission early in the season I would get a replacement permit and put it in on the backup. As long as your not using both sleds at the same time I personally don't see the issue

A couple of times I will use them all and don't mind having a permit to support the sport, at least at current prices.

39 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

A couple of times I will use them all and don't mind having a permit to support the sport, at least at current prices.

Right now I'm torn... the wife says she is done with sledding. First thought was sell her sled even though it has less than 1,000 km on it. Second thought is keep it and use day permits when someone else wants to come along or when I'm looking for someone to ride so I'm not going solo which I'm not a fan of just in case something goes wrong.

I buy 2 passes every year. (except 2010 through 2012 as we were having issues making payments and groceries)

There are seasons that we just don't make it out to ride at all if we are real busy in the shop, even tho I have $400 of permits paid for already.

When we doo ride, we try our best to stay away from groomed trails.

We very easily could git away without a tag since we really don't use the trail system, but The Queen flew my sorry assets out of the bush for free years ago, so I make sure that she is reimbursed. 

If those tags get very $alty tho - I may change my mind.

Edited by Ox
  • Like 1

Ordered 2 permits today.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ox said:

I buy 2 passes every year. (except 2010 through 2012 as we were having issues making payments and groceries)

There are seasons that we just don't make it out to ride at all if we are real busy in the shop, even tho I have $400 of permits paid for already.

When we doo ride, we try our best to stay away from groomed trails.

We very easily could git away without a tag since we really don't use the trail system, but The Queen flew my sorry assets out of the bush for free years ago, so I make sure that she is reimbursed. 

If those tags get very $alty tho - I may change my mind.

Since 2001 I've purchased between 2 and 8 permits every season.  It is quick and easy now, but miss calling the clubs direct and talking about the upcoming season.  They always mailed the permits free of charge and I got them within a week every time.  Now with all the news on the internet I know most of what is going on before I head to Ontario.  Ordered 3 permits this week.

• Like 1

How come I ordered a Ontario permit and Quebec permit at the same time online and have had the Quebec permit for 3 days now.

Still waiting for Ontario. Me thinks one has their &hit together and one is always trying! LOL!

You don't need it for a few weeks or so.

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Yep, just now. Purolator.

At least you didn't get Purolost.  Missed a package last Thursday and they haven't been able to get it to THEIR 'local' dropoff for a week!

Must be about to get mine, ordered on first day possible.