Atv winter trails

Muskoka Man

8 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

What's the point in grooming? Wouldn't it just be rutted up after the first couple atv's?

Once they achieve a solid base, it wont be to bad . You will get rutts once it thaws and they run the trails when soft, and re-freezes. They will need to time grooming, to lay down the trail again.  The rutts would hurt a snowmobile trail,  but not so much for atv only trails. 

They need to be seperate trails, so each user group can enjoy the respective trails. 

Glad to see something for the quadders...

On 9/25/2019 at 8:00 AM, Diceman said:

not sure why I guy riding his atv legally would be a moron or a dick ??..

Up here almost nobody follows the rules or laws. Force of habit, please excuse my glass half empty feelings on the subject. 

1 hour ago, Poo Man said:

What's the point in grooming? Wouldn't it just be rutted up after the first couple atv's?

Same reason they groom the sled trails. Firm up the base, provide a smooth surface to ride on.

Years before having a sled we had a Honda trike. I was young and naive regarding sled trails. A few of us would ride short stretches of power line trails to get from A to B.  Rarely could we do so without one of us breaking through the surface, unless it had been groomed very often. 

By contrast, one extremely cold winter we were able to drive a 2wd Chevy pickup just about anywhere on the groomed trail and never scratch the surface. 

Conditions are quite variable and weather plays a significant role in the surface quality of any groomed trail. 

8 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

Not sure who it was but one group just took trails in Dwight without working with the snowmobile club a few years back not cool 

Same group I believe, but that was put to an abrupt hault. It would now seem both user groups are in the same page.

Edited by Yukon Cornelious
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

I think that our pres is still pissed 

I could understand why this may be the case. I have done my research in the past, from when I was a ofsc club V.P....

Edited by Yukon Cornelious

I believe they started to pack it down last year and waiting for some cold and a bunch of jokers on bikes with big tires went on it and chewed it up ,don’t think they were happy with that ,it will take a lot of cold and work to stand up to the big tires the guys are running ,same as ofsc stuff guys come for the day and trash the trails and leave 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:30 PM, Poo Man said:

That's what I thought.... but if it isn't packed in some way they get stuck in the deep snow. We had a ride in mid winter lunch event jointly between the snowmobile club and the ATV club. There was a trail from Georgian Bay to the event site that isn't typically used in the winter. The ATV's got stuck coming in off the bay.

2 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

I believe they started to pack it down last year and waiting for some cold and a bunch of jokers on bikes with big tires went on it and chewed it up ,don’t think they were happy with that ,it will take a lot of cold and work to stand up to the big tires the guys are running ,same as ofsc stuff guys come for the day and trash the trails and leave 

Those oversize tires are a problem for the ATV clubs in their typical season as well. At least according to our local ATV club executive level. Some guy comes through with the oversize tires and just loves to churn through the muck and even makes multiple passes. Then the guy with the typical ATV and tires tries to make it through. He can't. He doesn't stand a chance. The ruts are so deep his tires aren't in contact with anything and the belly of his ATV is hung up on the centre ridge.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Those oversize tires are a problem for the ATV clubs in their typical season as well. At least according to our local ATV club executive level. Some guy comes through with the oversize tires and just loves to churn through the muck and even makes multiple passes. Then the guy with the typical ATV and tires tries to make it through. He can't. He doesn't stand a chance. The ruts are so deep his tires aren't in contact with anything and the belly of his ATV is hung up on the centre ridge.

Wow. As long as it's on a sanctioned atv trail what do you expect. Ban mud tires will be the next thing. Sounds like you don't want to challenge yourself.

ATV and snowmobile trails exist side by side in quebec for many years. Never seen a problem with them "rutted out"

When we were in Quebec years ago near Sherbrooke. It was a low snow year here and apparently there as well.  The atv trails were in better shape than the snowmobile trails. They seemed to cross over each other fairly often though. I missed a cross over and stayed on the atv side until the next opportunity, was the best part of the trip. 

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

ATV and snowmobile trails exist side by side in quebec for many years. Never seen a problem with them "rutted out"

They groom the ATV trails in P.Q.

20 hours ago, Motorhead said:

Wow. As long as it's on a sanctioned atv trail what do you expect. Ban mud tires will be the next thing. Sounds like you don't want to challenge yourself.

Just reporting what I heard from the ATV club and what they are experiencing. How is it a good thing if the ruts are so deep that 95% of the ATV's can't get through the trails.

35 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Just reporting what I heard from the ATV club and what they are experiencing. How is it a good thing if the ruts are so deep that 95% of the ATV's can't get through the trails.

I agree.  What's the fun of sitting in the same puddle of mud making it bigger and bigger, if no-one can get past it and actually go someplace ... ?  I despise ATV's for exactly this reason.  You can't go anywhere off-road around here without a Timberjack after the locals get into it with their bikes.

Me and wifey just cruise around on logging rds and enjoy the scenery in the summer time ,to old for that mud and winching business ,but some of the trails here are trashed from guys with big tires and the jeeps ,but that’s another thread B)

19 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

Me and wifey just cruise around on logging rds and enjoy the scenery in the summer time ,to old for that mud and winching business ,but some of the trails here are trashed from guys with big tires and the jeeps ,but that’s another thread B)

It seems the club in our area is keeping the ATV trails purposely too narrow for the jeeps and pickups to fit. There are wider sections for passing but a lot of spots it seems are just wide enough for the average ATV. Especially going through a stand of trees or on a tight turn.