Atv winter trails

Muskoka Man

Looks like these guys are going to attempt some groomed atv trails again .just east of baysville area. Hope this does not work out and these ones cross the ofsc trails bit not down them 

IMG_20190921_102724.jpg

IMG_20190921_094658.jpg

First moron with mud tires down that trail is going to wreck it.  Crust won't hold a spinning mud tire, then everyone else will wreck it even worse.  Not to mention that some atv'er dick will surely go wreck the sled trail it crosses.

14 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

I think its a good idea. Seems to work in Quebec.  We have seen lots on our travels there. Just need the peeps on the atvs to respect the ofsc trails, and the atv trails. Really not hard to do, but theres still no cure for stupidity.  

Agree with your overall message IQ, but share MM's trepidation due to self-entitlement and a compacted population in the Muskoka area.

we followed all the new proposed atv trails yesterday on the quads .most are the summer atv side trails but some do cross the ofsc ,this is not going to be good i think he is going to have a hard time keeping his areas groomed as the bikes will chew it up real fast , he did a few last winter and bikes were on it 2 minutes after he groomed it and he gave up fast , would be nice if it worked out but not betting any $ on this one 

Edited by Muskoka Man

43 minutes ago, slomo said:

Agree with your overall message IQ, but share MM's trepidation due to self-entitlement and a compacted population in the Muskoka area.

Hats off to the them for trying it. I do share the same feelings there slomo. I never said i did not!. Its a good idea still.  

It works fine in Quebec, but then Quebec believes in law enforcement protecting it's investment in tourism and winter sports.

Ontario seems content to just stand back and let it burn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I try to keep an open mind on this subject but last year we went sledding for a week in Quebec. it was great riding through the week. Only once did we see ATV's and that was at the lunch stop. Didnt see them on the trail. Then we went out on Sat and what a joke. Those pristine trails turned to junk and mush in the areas where the sleds and ATV's could ride together. Had one guy in a SXS literally try to race my wife intersection to intersection. Couldnt catch us and we werent running hard but if we had let him pass we would have been slowed watching him trying to stay ahead. Our local trails here are now junk at this time of year. All rutted to hell by the ATV's. The wet fail fills the deep ruts with water that takes forever to freeze because the ruts are so deep and you need that really freezing cold to make it happen. This is another reason why our trails around here open so late unless its really cold early in the winter. I would love to have a video of our trails in the fall before the snow when we are trying to clear them for grooming and run another video of the same area once the trails are open. Maybe then riders would appreciate what the club has to deal with on a yearly basis. We have tried to dig trenches in the fall to let the water run off but we have so much clay you cant even set a shovel in the ground to try and trench. We never get ATVers who rut the trails to come out and help maintain them in the fall. ATVers should have their own trails that they can rut all they want and ride the sames ones in the winter seeing as it seems most like the mud and dirt and getting stuck.         

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, probill said:

I try to keep an open mind on this subject but last year we went sledding for a week in Quebec. it was great riding through the week. Only once did we see ATV's and that was at the lunch stop. Didnt see them on the trail. Then we went out on Sat and what a joke. Those pristine trails turned to junk and mush in the areas where the sleds and ATV's could ride together. Had one guy in a SXS literally try to race my wife intersection to intersection. Couldnt catch us and we werent running hard but if we had let him pass we would have been slowed watching him trying to stay ahead. Our local trails here are now junk at this time of year. All rutted to hell by the ATV's. The wet fail fills the deep ruts with water that takes forever to freeze because the ruts are so deep and you need that really freezing cold to make it happen. This is another reason why our trails around here open so late unless its really cold early in the winter. I would love to have a video of our trails in the fall before the snow when we are trying to clear them for grooming and run another video of the same area once the trails are open. Maybe then riders would appreciate what the club has to deal with on a yearly basis. We have tried to dig trenches in the fall to let the water run off but we have so much clay you cant even set a shovel in the ground to try and trench. We never get ATVers who rut the trails to come out and help maintain them in the fall. ATVers should have their own trails that they can rut all they want and ride the sames ones in the winter seeing as it seems most like the mud and dirt and getting stuck.         

Couldn't have said it better.  This is the absolute truth.

If they are attempting winter ATV trails so be it provided they are segregated.  Just keep them off the OFSC trails.  What are they using to plow / groom.  I haven't seen what is used in Quebec, but am guessing it's something similar to what the snowmobile clubs use for groomers???  Maybe an old BR with a good blade on it.

If anyone starts with shared trails say goodbye to snowmobiling in ontario!! I looked after our clubs trails in district 6 for 25 years and I can tell you private land will close. This is because people do not respect other people's generosity.  Every year we receive calls that atvs are trespassing and doing damage to property after snowmobile season and I and my fellow volunteers have to spend hours fixing problems we should never have to.

Also I am a landowner who permits a snowmobile trail to cross my land shared use no thanks I will close off my land!!!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, old sledhead said:

If anyone starts with shared trails say goodbye to snowmobiling in ontario!! I looked after our clubs trails in district 6 for 25 years and I can tell you private land will close. This is because people do not respect other people's generosity.  Every year we receive calls that atvs are trespassing and doing damage to property after snowmobile season and I and my fellow volunteers have to spend hours fixing problems we should never have to.

Also I am a landowner who permits a snowmobile trail to cross my land shared use no thanks I will close off my land!!!

First, thank you for the use of your land. I think the majority of sledders appreciate your generosity and show the respect that is so deserved. 

Second, I think your views as a both a volunteer and a landowner are widely held. I know they are widely held in my club. We just spent over $500 to put in 2 gates for a landowner to try and keep atvs out his fields, just to protect the sled trail. It’s $500 that could have been better spent on actual trail/grooming improvements.  In the new LUP there is the ability to add additional clauses. We are routinely adding the following, “ The club agrees that the permissions granted to it under this agreement can not be assigned to any other user group without the express written consent of the landowner”. It’s seems to be giving landowners some comfort that other groups can not piggy back on the club LUP..

Edited by Big Pete
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2019 at 7:16 AM, Denis007 said:

First moron with mud tires down that trail is going to wreck it.  Crust won't hold a spinning mud tire, then everyone else will wreck it even worse.  Not to mention that some atv'er dick will surely go wreck the sled trail it crosses.

not sure why I guy riding his atv legally would be a moron or a dick ??..

Edited by Diceman

• 2 months later...

Here is a pic of the proposed atv winter trails east of baysville

Screenshot_20191204_165513_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Would help if we could read the legend.

It has to start somewhere.  I admire his determination.  My cottage is just out of Bracebridge and I have watched the trail system grow. I use both Atvs and Snowmobiles and like having options. The 101 trail is very wide on the shared principle. If everything is marked accordingly I don't see any issues.

I'm not sure if the big washout east of the 101 on B is repaired for the season and I'm thinking lots of logging in the area .these parts may be a little sketchy but we will see ,a buddy said he might go in this weekend and have a look at everything 

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

I'm not sure if the big washout east of the 101 on B is repaired for the season and I'm thinking lots of logging in the area .these parts may be a little sketchy but we will see ,a buddy said he might go in this weekend and have a look at everything 

I have heard rumors of a reroute. Was hoping last week to look myself to see the situation. Let us know what is developing. 

Will do ,should know by the end of sat

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Muskoka Man said:

Screenshot_20191204_200456_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Who is grooming the trail with what?

I think it is a big side by side with tracks and a mini mogul master drag

21 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

This is the groomer for the club

IMG_20191206_144439.jpg

PERFECT!   That will break after about 50 hrs...

• Haha 1