B trail washout

Muskoka Man

Loaded up the bikes and headed into washout .seems they have hauled in large amounts of fill but just stock plied it  as it is covered in snow .some fill has been put into washout and looks like they are ready for the culvert  probably stopped waiting for our friends at MNR .there has been a new trail closed sign added since fall .so this section of B may be done for the season  not good 

IMG_20191207_111055.jpg

IMG_20191207_115528.jpg

IMG_20191207_115307.jpg

IMG_20191207_112940.jpg

12 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

Loaded up the bikes and headed into washout .seems they have hauled in large amounts of fill but just stock plied it  as it is covered in snow .some fill has been put into washout and looks like they are ready for the culvert  probably stopped waiting for our friends at MNR .there has been a new trail closed sign added since fall .so this section of B may be done for the season  not good 

IMG_20191207_111055.jpg

IMG_20191207_115528.jpg

IMG_20191207_115307.jpg

I hope the trail is marked closed on the other side of the washout. Those 'blocks' look nasty if someone was to hit them buried in the snow...

• Sad 1

Yes they are marked well and cement barriers approx 1 k before the actual washout 

10 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

Yes they are marked well and cement barriers approx 1 k before the actual washout 

That'll keep the GPS following truck drivers out I hope...

That's a pretty major ravine. Did you say that there is a culvert there, ready to go in ?

Didn’t see the culvert but washout has had lots of fill put in since last summer as it was twice this size ,seems contractors stopped and the space left seems like it’s ready for the pipe,lots of grade stakes with markings all over ,

• Like 1

just send out a request to the atv clubs, cross country ski clubs, hiking clubs,horse riders they should all show up with shovels and wheel barrows and surely with the 100 or so people that turn out it would be fixed in a couple of hours

Think the problem is MNR approval to proceed ,they had lots of machines in there in the fall to haul in the fill and start the pre fill of the washout but have came to a stop ,this approval could happen in days or years 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Think the problem is MNR approval to proceed ,they had lots of machines in there in the fall to haul in the fill and start the pre fill of the washout but have came to a stop ,this approval could happen in days or years 

Speaking from experience I hope sooner rather than later...

We work with the local MNR for dock and boathouse permits ,my opinion would be to think of a re-route if you want it done this century 

• Sad 1

On 12/9/2019 at 3:05 PM, Muskoka Man said:

We work with the local MNR for dock and boathouse permits ,my opinion would be to think of a re-route if you want it done this century 

I agree with you

2 hours ago, Rich Saul said:

The old saying goes 

Ask for forgiveness and forget about permission...

Might be the only way to get it done in the next  couple weeks...

Might be good in theory, but I've seen news items where people/businesses have been fined for performing unauthorized work on Crown land.

If not a fine I imagine the MNR could put a club thru the wringer during future permitting processes.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Might be good in theory, but I've seen news items where people/businesses have been fined for performing unauthorized work on Crown land.

If not a fine I imagine the MNR could put a club thru the wringer during future permitting processes.

I know... sat at table a few Times with the beaver police over trail improvements..

Just saying...

39 minutes ago, Rich Saul said:

I know... sat at table a few Times with the beaver police over trail improvements..

Just saying...

It is maddening. The area we put a reroute thru had been logged in years past (you could see where the skidder ruts had grown over). The district biologist (who took the better part of a year of changing dates for his assessment) found some kind of lichen on trees that was a species at risk... I'm thinking it may be a main food source for woodland caribou.

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

If the project is on hold pending MNR then they are already aware of it which increases the possibility of getting caught doing unauthorized work becomes highly probable. Do it without approval and then be told to dig it all up, redo it to specifications and face fines. Not really a good idea. Or worse lose access completely.

We had to get MNR approval to build our groomer building. They had a huge concern about snakes. They made a concession. We could pour the concrete pad if we had a bunch of people around the cement truck to make sure there weren't any snakes harmed in the process.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

If the project is on hold pending MNR then they are already aware of it which increases the possibility of getting caught doing unauthorized work becomes highly probable. Do it without approval and then be told to dig it all up, redo it to specifications and face fines. Not really a good idea. Or worse lose access completely.

We had to get MNR approval to build our groomer building. They had a huge concern about snakes. They made a concession. We could pour the concrete pad if we had a bunch of people around the cement truck to make sure there weren't any snakes harmed in the process.

Dont forget about the 3 spotted skinks and the yellow bellied salamanders... LOL

Good times!

4 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Dont forget about the 3 spotted skinks and the yellow bellied salamanders... LOL

Good times!

And the blue tailed skink!