Resqlink vs Spot vs PLB1 Ocean

signfan

Been doing some research on emergency locators.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  I've heard some not so good reviews of the SPOT units.  Then I stumbled upon the PLB1 and Resqlink units.  A little more upfront cost, but no subscription costs which is very attractive.  I ride with location sharing on my phone turned on when riding alone, so don't really need the other bells and whistles Spot offers.  Do the batteries in these units hold up to the cold?  Any other reason why they wouldn't serve us well snowmobiling? Seems like a good product and should be robust if designed for an ocean environment.

I would not trust location sharing on my phone.  There are many areas where I do not have cell signal, and when the SHTF, you just know it will be in one of those areas.  I switched from the SPOT to the Garmin inReach last year.  I found the tracking as good as the SPOT, if not better.  The feature that allows me to send a custom message  works awesome.  The unit is more expensive to purchase, but the subscription can be turned off in the off season so the subscription fee ends up in the same ballpark.

Very happy with the change.

• Like 1

We were issued PLB's for our groomer operators and they look awkward to use.  You have to open it, unfurl the antenna and press the button and hope for  the best.  No indication of success or failure.  Once used, it has to be sent back to be repackaged.  We are using the SPOT  units as well :-(

I love my InReach Mini, I have it linked to my phone.  Haven't used tracking much but is great for 2-way communication when I am out and about on my own (often fishing up to 50km from the highway solo) or out in the groomer/sled. I also carry it in the truck when driving up here just in case, lots of dead spots on the highway.   A little more expensive than the SPOT unit it replaced, but the piece of mind for my wife and I is well worth the monthly subscription.  Not sure on the SPOT X, I like the integrated keyboard on it but have not used it and from reviews I read the InReach satellite constellation is more reliable than the one spot uses.  

Only used 1 of the 3 items in your subject line (SPOT). SPOT tracked, as set (intermittently). Problem became a very costly monthly plan. They gave away the product, or at least subsidized it with high percentage off 'retail', but jacked up the subscription price.

Also have an Delorme InReach, purchased before they were a Garmin company.  Use it summer and winter (yoot, in Quebec last week, canoeing...worked like a charm). InReach tracks properly and as SJ mentioned, flexible payment options.

These items are often on sale at the snowmobile show. If the measurement of a product is 'would you buy again' - yes to the InReach.

Thanks guys.  Guess it really depends on whether I think I need the tracking and text msg's or not.  The PLB with no subscription is looking attractive.  Probably small enough that it could be kept in my jacket all the time should I ever need it and most likely will never need to charge the battery.  Inreach definately looks to be the better option if I want all the bells and whistles.  Just not sure I really do.