Great news for northern trails

Blake G

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157498255376670&id=504956669&ģsfnsn=mo

Tourism funds to support snowmobile trail, francophone initiatives

Destination Northern Ontario leading new tourism project.

Destination Northern Ontario is getting support to develop a new snowmobile trail and digital francophone tourism initiatives.

Federal funds totalling $230,000 from the Canadian Experiences Fund (CEF) are supporting the two projects.

Of that, $160,000 will be used to develop a world-class snowmobile trail along Highway 11 north between Hearst and Temiskaming Shores, including the City of Timmins.

The remaining $70,000 will support the development of a series of interactive itineraries for smartphone and tablet users that highlight the region’s francophone culture and experiential tourism opportunities.

“I am grateful to the Government of Canada for this support, through FedNor, that will help us develop and grow the region’s francophone tourism offerings with the goal of attracting culture-seeking visitors, French-speaking tourists and immigrants to the North,” said David MacLachlan, executive director of Destination Northern Ontario, in an Aug. 29 news release.

“And by developing a premier snowmobile region, we aim to make Northeastern Ontario the ultimate snowmobile destination that builds on our strengths: long, cold winters with an abundance of snow.”

Destination Northern Ontario – formerly known as Tourism Northern Ontario – is the largest of 13 Regional Tourism Organizations (RTOs) funded by the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport. The organization leads the development of tourism programming across the North.

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

"Develop" a world class trail along highway 11 ?

Already have that covered. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Agree with Denis. Looks like an attempt to buy votes with the voter's tax dollars.

IGood news indeed. Just keep the congestion away.:D. I want the L series trails around Kap all to myself..:rotflmao:..

I welcome any and all government funds(read OUR money) to help improve our sport. But the north, as Denis stated has good trails already.  B)..Tricky,  as we all know, with a looming election,  our money seems to flow very fluidly to buy votes...

Lets see what happens with this funding announcement.  There is already trails to get you from Hearst to New liskeard.  

• Like 1

Have to weigh in here.....nobody knows what the hell he's talking about.

Last time we heard an announcement like this, about the town of Kapuskasing contributing $3000 to snowmobiling, we saw one large FRANCOPHONE sign go up on the trail by the mill.

Trust me: neither the clubs nor the Corridor know anything about this, but you will likely see more Francophone signage......but whether it complies with OFSC guidelines or not, remains to be seen.

IMO, this is purely political.

25 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

Last time we heard an announcement like this, about the town of Kapuskasing contributing $3000 to snowmobiling, we saw one large FRANCOPHONE sign go up on the trail by the mill.

Trust me: neither the clubs nor the Corridor know anything about this, but you will likely see more Francophone signage......but whether it complies with OFSC guidelines or not, remains to be seen.

French lettering will be larger than english.

29 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

Will this new world class snowmobile trail be made with blue and white snow?? LOL    Agreed that this is Political BS by people that have no idea what they are talking about. I certainly hope this isn't money just for bilingual trail signage.

So many questions...

$160,000 to "develop" a trail along Highway 11 all the way from Hearst to Temiskaming. Seriously? Who's grooming this?? Is this trail exclusively for use by the Francophone tourists???

It's another cash grab by yet another Tourism entity. In these parts there seems to be lots of money for the Francophones. With all due respect....

I call bulls**t

Good to see the government supporting tourism initiatives in the north - - especially for snowmobiling. Congratulations to those who worked hard to make this happen.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

So many questions...

$160,000 to "develop" a trail along Highway 11 all the way from Hearst to Temiskaming. Seriously? Who's grooming this?? Is this trail exclusively for use by the Francophone tourists???

It's another cash grab by yet another Tourism entity. In these parts there seems to be lots of money for the Francophones. With all due respect....

I call bulls**t

Yup, gotta agree with this.  They're laying it on pretty thick, re the French theme.  Prolly some attempt to pi$$ in Doug Ford's face with all the francophone related funding cuts he's been hammering out lately.  Fat bastard.  I voted for him, only because he was the lesser of 2 evils, knowing that the NDP was a shoe-in up here no matter which way I voted anyways.

• Like 1

A few self-serving individuals are behind this. Big announcement; no details; no involvement with OFSC, districts, or clubs. 

Stinks to high heaven.

• Like 2

I'm sure all the $$ will go to media, probably already spent.

New commercials, www, social media.

I bet less than 10% will be on infrastructure.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents but I think some of you guys need to be less critical and pesimistic about things like this. If this proves successful it will only help the future of our sport  and maybe more funds will become available. As with anything people are going to feel that the money would be better for x,y, or z

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Yup, gotta agree with this.  They're laying it on pretty thick, re the French theme. 

4 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Just my 2 cents but I think some of you guys need to be less critical and pesimistic about things like this.

Darn tootin. I have taken on the challenge of improving my high school French with some success during more recently frequent trips to Quebec. Such an initiative is tough later in life so any help is appreciated.

Recently in Shawinigan - my Petro Can points card won't work at the self serve gas pump. Multiple unsuccessful attempts prompts a furious gush of Francais from the attendant inside. I miss most of it so I say "Plus lentement si vous plait! Je parle  l'Anglaise."  Out of the speaker comes......

P....A.....Y.........................................................I....N....S.....I........D............E

• Haha 1

So for now we reserve judgement and just assume that the announcement was an extremely poor translation from the original French and that the plan to put in a snowmobile trail along Highway 11 from Hearst to Temiskaming actually makes sense. 

Just curious: anyone know how many swamp, creek, and river crossings there are on the proposed route?  Seems to me we've spent considerably more on some bridge projects in our District alone.

But if this Tourism group had bothered to consult the Districts involved, they'd know this. I guess I missed the big announcement from the OFSC about this new source of Federal funding.....

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

So for now we reserve judgement and just assume that the announcement was an extremely poor translation from the original French and that the plan to put in a snowmobile trail along Highway 11 from Hearst to Temiskaming actually makes sense. 

Just curious: anyone know how many swamp, creek, and river crossings there are on the proposed route?  Seems to me we've spent considerably more on some bridge projects in our District alone.

But if this Tourism group had bothered to consult the Districts involved, they'd know this. I guess I missed the big announcement from the OFSC about this new source of Federal funding.....

Ahmen....

On 8/30/2019 at 8:44 AM, tricky said:

Agree with Denis. Looks like an attempt to buy votes with the voter's tax dollars.

Trudope-never!

On 8/30/2019 at 8:44 AM, tricky said:

Bribed with our own and other people's $? Never!

8 hours ago, snowchopper said:

I don't get all the negativity guys .If the government didn't invest one red cent would that make you happier?

If it wasn't an election year, when all the Fed's are doing the last couple of weeks is spending our tax money to buy votes, then maybe.

$230000 towards snowmobiling from the Liberal " greener than the Green party" ? My bet is most of the $160000 money will be gone to someone connected to the Fed's and will be used up in administration costs, but created a job.

And the $70000 portion for the "app" will probably be developed by the same ones who are responsible for the Phoenix pay system debacle, and will end up costing billions more.:cool:

• Thanks 1