ZR 7000 artic cat

ToSlow

What do you want to know ?   I just bought a 2017 ZR7000 LXR 129 for my son in April.  It has traveled 20 ft so far into the trailer.  I will be doing a complete dis-assembly of the drive line to do my reliability updates in about a month.

I own a 2015 XF7000 LXR 137".  I have about 6000 Km on it and love the sled.  There are many minor differences between a 2015 and a 2017 in clutches, drive line bearings, a new design Yamaha engine, spring a shock calibration, etc.  If you buy one, don't pick it up until the dealer does the ECM flash to install the 2019 program.  That is the difference between a so so engine calibration and a Cat-illac.

Be prepared to spend another $1000 on things like a J&T ATV Tri-Hub eliminator and the forth wheel add on kit.  A high windshield, mirrors, Kat's 50 watt heater pads for the engine if you want it to start at -20C.  I have written a few post on these topics in the tech section.  Just search Yama-Cat 7000.

Edited by Big Pussy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

What do you want to know ?   I just bought a 2017 ZR7000 LXR 129 for my son in April.  It has traveled 20 ft so far into the trailer.  I will be doing a complete dis-assembly of the drive line to do my reliability updates in about a month.

I own a 2015 XF7000 LXR 137".  I have about 6000 Km on it and love the sled.  There are many minor differences between a 2015 and a 2017 in clutches, drive line bearings, a new design Yamaha engine, spring a shock calibration, etc.  If you buy one, don't pick it up until the dealer does the ECM flash to install the 2019 program.  That is the difference between a so so engine calibration and a Cat-illac.

I'm basically looking for the good and the bad on the sled, what are some of the likes and some of the don't likes, looking also to trade in a 07 apex

Pros

Superior ride and handling.  Much lighter weight if that is important.

I get 19 - 20 mpg imperial.  May be better than Apex. I have a buddy with a 40th anniversary Apex and he now has a Viper and a Sidewinder.  He has the definative comparison.

I can do more than 200 km on a tank of gas.  I think it will do 230 Km.  Went from Ault-Reekie lodge to Rockies in Suds with lots of fuel to spare. Used about 26 liters.

Have the dealer update the ECM program to the 2019 and it will start cold and purr at idle.

The Cat skis actually turn the sled instead of plowing through the corner like the Viper Tuner skis do. Factory carbides don't dart.

I bought the 2017 from Aberfoyle and got it cheaper than my 2015.  It was new in a crate from a dealer up north.

The sled is virtually the same as a Viper but much less expensive and has better skis.

The instrument cluster is pretty good.  Digital RPM, Speed, gas gauge, water temp, inlet air temp, altimeter, clock, two re-settable trip odometers, peak hold read back of RPM. Instruments can be Imperial or Metric.  Sled speed is accurate to 1-2 KPH to GPS. No old exaggeration.

Accessory receptacle that I use with a USB adapter to run my Garman GPS or you can charge a cell phone.  Receptacle switches off with key.

Infinitely adjustable front and center spring preload with threaded colors.  No three position pre-loaders.

Cons

Chinese bearings with no grease in them.  Must take the clutch secondary and brake caliper off and pull a seal and add grease yearly.  I do a mod to stop the bearing from spinning on the track driveshaft.

2017 have Team primary and Team BOSS secondary clutch.  I have no experience with these yet but I do like the 2015 clutches although I re-calibrate to reduce RPM and improve gas mileage.

4-stroke valve lash adjustment should be done at 12,000 Km.  Yamaha said 30,000 but the exhaust valves get so tight that it won't idle.  Adjust the shims to save burning the exhaust valves/seats.  Remember, this is a Yamaha fault.

Many have had starter/starter idler gear tooth failures on 2014- early 2016 engines.  I never had a problem but got the ECM updates and held the key to avoid the kick backs.

Should remove the rear Tri-hub and replace with J&T ATV replacement kit with real 6205 bearings and also add the two outside wheels.

I add a pair of Katt's 50 watt self adhesive heater pads to the sump pan and engine block.  Plug in at night when very cold out and the sled will start like a summer day.

I move the fuse /relay block with a bracket I make to a location over the belt guard.  No need to remove the hood to change a fuse or relay.

You may need areal windshield depending on the model.  The thong looks cool but feels colder.  Need a left side mirror as well if going to Quebec.

Chain tensioner is manual and you must pull the muffler to get at it.  Don't neglect it.  Get a copper muffler gasket from Hurricane Performance so you don't need to keep buying new gaskets.

The track is only clipped every second bar.  I buy flat clips and add the missing clips to reduce the slider/rubber track friction.  Also the extrovert drivers have the clip to drive against instead of the rubber bar.

Need to replace the soft plastic rear spring preload triangles with the billet aluminum kit so you can adjust without just stripping the hex off.

Gas tank need a rear bumper push down to get a big puff of air out if you need all the range.

There is a lot of info here.  I edited my original post so you may want to go back and read it.  I love my 2015 more every time I ride it.  I have a high 17" touring windshield and the sled is real warm.  I ride the Northern Corridor at -20 to -30 C with no problems.  You can make it a very reliable sled if you do the mods that I do.  I never trade up.  I buy a sled and ride it forever.

I have a 1995 Wildcat with 20,000 miles, a 2001 T-Cat with 23,000 miles.  I take care of them and rebuild as necessary.  I have lots of pictures of my 2015 sled apart and the mods I do if you have any more questions.

BP

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I rode my buddy's zr7000 for a bit this year in Cochrane.  I liked the sled and had a nice ride and smooth power delivery.  Not a top end speed machine but will pull like a freight train.  Only problem he has was the tri-hub failure in Kapuskasing.  

19 hours ago, ToSlow said:

Anyone have any info on these sleds they can share? I'm looking at a new 2017, new old stock

Between me and my friend, we have a total of 7 years on 2016 models with 137" tracks.  They both went 130 to 137 miles before running out of fuel on a full-burped tank. I think the sled will be fine for 2 seasons with just basic maintenance.  I would check chain tension after a few thousand miles and suck out chain case oil and replace each year.  After 1 or 2 seasons you need to pull the brake rotor and caliper apart to grease that drive shaft bearing.  Never had to worry about the rear axle tri-hub if you tighten it up each year and grease the bearings while you have it apart.  The tri-hubs do come loose if only because it is plastic which only tightens so much before it deforms so not so tight either.  Only had issues starting at -38°C while parked outside overnight in Timmins once.  Stuck a hair dryer inside clutch side panel and closed it while running for about 10 minutes and good to go.  Had to tighten front shock spring under track to lighten front end feel on mine, but my buddy had one which was fine with same setting.  Think spring was different on mine.  Good acceleration and steering, but that suspension will not transfer weight to raise skis off snow by design.

If you like to follow close, buy the radiator screen to stop the fins from being folded over.  Easy to install.  Good trail sleds and never overheat!  Some extra steam when running deep new powder snow.  Ran 12,000 miles with just normal maintenance.  Reliable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Between me and my friend, we have a total of 7 years on 2016 models with 137" tracks.  They both went 130 to 137 miles before running out of fuel on a full-burped tank. I think the sled will be fine for 2 seasons with just basic maintenance.  I would check chain tension after a few thousand miles and suck out chain case oil and replace each year.  After 1 or 2 seasons you need to pull the brake rotor and caliper apart to grease that drive shaft bearing.  Never had to worry about the rear axle tri-hub if you tighten it up each year and grease the bearings while you have it apart.  The tri-hubs do come loose if only because it is plastic which only tightens so much before it deforms so not so tight either.  Only had issues starting at -38°C while parked outside overnight in Timmins once.  Stuck a hair dryer inside clutch side panel and closed it while running for about 10 minutes and good to go.  Had to tighten front shock spring under track to lighten front end feel on mine, but my buddy had one which was fine with same setting.  Think spring was different on mine.  Good acceleration and steering, but that suspension will not transfer weight to raise skis off snow by design.

If you like to follow close, buy the radiator screen to stop the fins from being folded over.  Easy to install.  Good trail sleds and never overheat!  Some extra steam when running deep new powder snow.  Ran 12,000 miles with just normal maintenance.  Reliable.

thanks for the info, going to bring my  07 apex in to trade on this sled. hopefully i can get a good deal on the trade

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve used my 2017 ZR7000 LXR 137 the last two seasons and love it. Maintenance is a bit of a chore though as you must remove the hood to check your coolant level. Changing fluids is a pain.

I had the 2017 crosstrek 7000 and put 4500 miles on it. It was flawless really. This was my first cat. The engine is very reliable and coming off a 1200 ski doo the cat chassis impressed me a lot. The suspension was good but this model had the cheaper versions on it and could bottom out pretty easy in the big whoops in the northern corridor. I decided the next year to go up to the ZR9000 and love it just the same, actually more only because this one has the nice shock package. I have about 4000 miles on this one and between the two I had zero tri hub issues. The early ones didn't have the ability to replace the bearings but now they do and is doing just fine. I'll be checking and/or replace these bearings this fall. I am very impressed with what cat had to offer and the yamaha engine is great.

Sorry but:

i had a 2014 XR7000.  Worst sled I’ve owned.   Starter/idler gear let go, cost $2g. 

Muffler/resonator split wide open for no reason at pretty low mileage.  $1G

I found sled tippy because engine is heavy and mounted high in chassis. 

Rode it for about 8000 miles tho 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 7:23 PM, coolbane said:

Sorry but:

i had a 2014 XR7000.  Worst sled I’ve owned.   Starter/idler gear let go, cost $2g. 

Muffler/resonator split wide open for no reason at pretty low mileage.  $1G

I found sled tippy because engine is heavy and mounted high in chassis. 

Rode it for about 8000 miles tho 

I was wondering when you would add your comment.  True that was a lemon. But the engineering on that thing is a nightmare. Best thing on it was the warm spot above the handlebars to dry gear.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:06 AM, Motorhead said:

But the engineering on that thing is a nightmare.

Agreed.  I have re-engineered all the stupid stuff and have a great heavy sled.  But I am too old and sore to be jumping driveways anyway.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:20 AM, Big Pussy said:

Agreed.  I have re-engineered all the stupid stuff and have a great heavy sled.  But I am too old and sore to be jumping driveways anyway.

What sort of re-engineering?

OK,

Looks like this is going to turn into a Procross Chassis re-engineering thread.  Since most people don't want to deal with this, I will start a new thread in the Tech Tips area where it belongs.  Procross guys follow alone.  Others need not be bothered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Picking up the new sled in a couple weeks, Ended up getting a 2019 137 ZR7000 iact black on black. Hopefully we will get some snow to the south for a maiden voyage. 

Bought the sled from unlimited snowmobile in varney, very easy to deal with, and great guys to chat to.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

Picking up the new sled in a couple weeks, Ended up getting a 2019 137 ZR7000 iact black on black. Hopefully we will get some snow to the south for a maiden voyage. 

Bought the sled from unlimited snowmobile in varney, very easy to deal with, and great guys to chat to.

Congratulations hope you get snow to ride up your way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ToSlow said:

Steve is great 

• Like 1

Congratulations ! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ToSlow said:

Congrats... We have 2015 ZR7000 El Tigre sleds. They ride great. I think you'll enjoy your new ride. Did they fix the reverse button set up. On ours there is a raised ridge around the button to engage reverse. The opening isn't big enough for me to push with the thumb in the mitts so I have to take the mitt off to put it in reverse. At least I can't accidentally engage reverse.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, ToSlow said:

well i got the call today, they have my sled. 2019 black on black 7000 limited iact. can't wait, BRING ON THE SNOW  

seen you sled at stves looks great you will really like shock package great people