Barrie to Collingwood ?

SlowTouringGuy

1 hour ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

Didn't  mention anything about consultations with First Nations people in the area - not good.:mellow: After the 'discussion' about the Champlain statue and the cannons pointed the 'wrong' way, you would think this would be standard practice just to possibly avoid any unpleasantness.

Removing the tracks and leaving the rail ties in to fill or pave over???  People writing this report haven't thought that out much.  Each tie will heave individually with the frost making a mess of the trail surface.  Also $2500 a km for maintenance annually.  That's ridiculous.  If the snowmobile club wants to use this trail they better get involved and sort this out.  Looks like the staff at the city needs some lessons on multi use trails.  The club should be able to sell council on major cost reductions if the club is involved.   They should hit it with screenings 12" thick and use the Peterborough Lang Hastings trail as an example of how this can be dealt with for much less in the long term.  Snowmobile trail in the winter and non motorised in the summer.  

• Like 2

If the local clubs are going to get involved in this opportunity, I would suggest they contact the BEAST and West Carleton clubs. Both these clubs have been involved with the development of the Ottawa Valley Rail Trail from Smith Falls to Mattawa. The clubs were successful in maintaining motorized use despite significant opposition from a very vocal non-motorized contingent.  They worked closely with a number of municipalities to over come significant obstacles.  Securing long term access to these corridors is going to be critical to maintaining connectivity between regions.

hope this works out. 

• Like 1

This would be a lifeline for sledding in the area as anything south of barrie is now a dead zone due to developers buying up farm fields and closing trails. It would be nice to be able to head into barrie for a gas/food stop while avoiding lake simcoe. 

• Like 1

Tread carefully. 

Seems every time I turn around, some tree hugging idiot wants a trail closed down so nobody ever uses it. It's almost an automatic win. 

Go ahead, and check out a "non motorised trail only" trail over 100 yards from the parking lot.

I for one hate having tax dollars go to a single use trail that nobody ever uses.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 5:16 PM, manotickmike said:

I for one hate having tax dollars go to a single use trail that nobody ever uses.

Agreed.

Look at the Tay trail along Hwy 12 (between Midland and Coldwater).  Waste.

Multi use trails ( the one in Orillia comes to mind; Port Severn)... benefit many.

14 hours ago, Canuck said:

Agreed.

Look at the Tay trail along Hwy 12 (between Midland and Coldwater).  Waste.

Multi use trails ( the one in Orillia comes to mind; Port Severn)... benefit many.

I know that trail gets a fair bit of bicycle traffic from Waubaushene to Midland.

Where do they park their cars to use the walking/cycling path. Drive 7 KMS to walk 2 KMS. Wish they allowed sleds.

Nice to hear about bicycle use tho. Is it paved? 

Going to pull over next time I'm in the area..." use it"

2 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Where do they park their cars to use the walking/cycling path. Drive 7 KMS to walk 2 KMS. Wish they allowed sleds.

Nice to hear about bicycle use tho. Is it paved? 

Going to pull over next time I'm in the area..." use it"

A friend rides his bike regularly from Port Severn and typically goes to at least Port McNicholl. The trail is paved from Waubaushene toward Midland for sure and I believe it's paved toward Coldwater. If you're looking to ride from Waubaushene toward Midland you can park by the baseball diamond just across the road from the Esso at 400 & 12. Follow the unpaved (snowmobile) trail a very short distance toward Coldwater and instead of turning right to go under the 400 turn left.