2019 - 2020 FCMQ Permit Prices

signfan

And people bitch about the cost of our permit.

Never have and never will bitch at a permit price! 

Heard Quebec trails are worth every penny. 

• Like 2

This may be the year that I only buy a Quebec permit.   I bought both last year and only rode 2 days in Ontario.    

4 hours ago, signfan said:

After a pretty decent winter last year Ontario should be looking at a price increase.

Don't think increases can happen that quickly with the MTO involved. I wonder what we have really gained having the MTO  involved with the OFSC?

• Thanks 1

No I believe it can be voted at agm and pushed out a cpl weeks later if planned properly.  Has happened in the past.  It used to need a years notice, but with permit sales not starting to Oct 1st and being 100% online now I believe it is possible.  Head office notifies MTO in advance subject to an AGM vote.  Has OFSC put any recomendations out to the clubs yet for AGM?  Don't get me wrong I love getting a bargain on permits.  That said I know the system needs to remain sustainable.  An extra $10 a sled is no big deal in my sledding budget.

• Like 1

The pricing is now voted on according to an algorithm based upon the previous year's sales.  AFAIK, the actual seasonal sales have gone down last year, with a spike in daily sales.  Unless the sales have increased over 5% (I think), the prices will be the same.  I am not 100% sure about the sales figures, but I am pretty sure that I am correct.

Really? Doesn't the past seasons snow conditions have a large effect on pre-season sales?  Two years ago was a crap winter.  So pre-seasonal sales were down last year.  Now we have a good year so we should expect an increase this fall in sales (that would directly correlate to the increase in multi day sales from last season you mentioned).  Seems like the right time to take advantage of a price hike.  The economy is holding fine.  Only argument I could see to hold the line would be poor snow last winter in the most southern districts.  Will be interesting to see what occurs at AGM.  If we are waiting on a 5% increase in seasonal sales year over year we could be paying the same prices for a long time.

• Like 2

Enforcement will increase trail pass sales. 

My Ontario pass has not been checked in 3 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Enforcement will increase trail pass sales. 

My Ontario pass has not been checked in 3 years.

Think I'm even longer than that

On 7/13/2019 at 11:52 PM, sledjunk said:

The pricing is now voted on according to an algorithm based upon the previous year's sales.  AFAIK, the actual seasonal sales have gone down last year, with a spike in daily sales.  Unless the sales have increased over 5% (I think), the prices will be the same.  I am not 100% sure about the sales figures, but I am pretty sure that I am correct.

Are you sure of that, if so it is one hell of a poor way to run a business.  Revenue needs to offset anticipated expenses which is difficult to do as grooming hours can be so variable.  

If if your Permit Sales decline that doesn’t equate to leaving a Permit prices as they were, it should be based upon a reasonable conservative budget.

• Like 1

$640 annual permit 'sold on the trail' is an eye opener.

People drive differently when they know there might be law enforcement as well.

18 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Are you sure of that, if so it is one hell of a poor way to run a business.  Revenue needs to offset anticipated expenses which is difficult to do as grooming hours can be so variable.  

If if your Permit Sales decline that doesn’t equate to leaving a Permit prices as they were, it should be based upon a reasonable conservative budget.

In general, yes, I am sure.  In the following, the years referenced are from the motion presented at last year's AGM.  The motion last year was for the permit pricing for 2020.  Every year, the plan presents a 'matrix' of four scenarios.  A and B options are based upon no government decision regarding registration revenue and C and D is where there is a decision  where the OFSC gets $30 or more from registrations.  Options A and C are where full season permit sales for the upcoming (2018 - 2019) season are less than 5% more than the previous (2017 - 2018) season, and B and D are where full season permit sales for the upcoming (2018 - 2019) season are more than 5% over the previous (2017 - 2018) season.  There are then prices for the year following the upcoming (2019 -2020) season presented for each of those scenarios.   

So, based upon 2018 - 2019 sales, the prices for 2019 - 2020 can be predetermined and the MTO approval process can start before the 2018 -  season has even started.

With the MTO process taking months to complete, the time from the AGM to the start of the permit sales is too short to do much better than this.

14 hours ago, Canuck said:

$640 annual permit 'sold on the trail' is an eye opener.

That is something, I wish we had here.  But, of course, that would require enforcement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes.

There some major issues in the Quebec system. Akin to Ontario. Too many groomers. Too many "rich" clubs vs "poor clubs". If not for the ardent support of Qc Govt's over the years the whole works would have likely collapsed. With changes to laws this season that can once again allow people sue clubs for "too much noise" or similar complaints, it is not a great start to the decade. Quebec snow, trails, passion for sledding and just overall great experience are worth the money but still, $330 early bird is steep.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:57 PM, Sledguy74 said:

Never have and never will bitch at a permit price! 

Heard Quebec trails are worth every penny. 

They are!

8 hours ago, mcZEd382 said:

Yikes.

There some major issues in the Quebec system. Akin to Ontario. Too many groomers. Too many "rich" clubs vs "poor clubs". If not for the ardent support of Qc Govt's over the years the whole works would have likely collapsed. With changes to laws this season that can once again allow people sue clubs for "too much noise" or similar complaints, it is not a great start to the decade. Quebec snow, trails, passion for sledding and just overall great experience are worth the money but still, $330 early bird is steep.

With Trudope's carbon tax prices will have to rise every year!

Love Quebec and love the trails, am however tired of being harassed about my Ontario Reg numbers. Thought two years ago was a fluke, but again last season officer went up one side of me and down the other saying it's illegal to display anything other that the full Ontario reg sticker. While a ticket would have been a piss off, his bs went directly to threats of ordering a tow truck and impounding my sled for improper registration.  Just like the first time, saw he and his partner were stopping sleds, pulled up and shut the sled off, removed my helmet and proceeded to get all my paperwork out. Sled has absolutely correct Ontario numbers, has a current val tag and Ontario pass both displayed correctly, also has season Quebec pass displayed exactly as required. I also had all required documents, yes all up to date as well and no never ever once gave him even the slightest hint of anything but courteous respect. 

For the second time, sent a letter to the Quebec Federation, no reply.

Will not be purchasing a Quebec permit this coming fall, neither will the riders I was with, we all received similar treatment.

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Love Quebec and love the trails, am however tired of being harassed about my Ontario Reg numbers. Thought two years ago was a fluke, but again last season officer went up one side of me and down the other saying it's illegal to display anything other that the full Ontario reg sticker. While a ticket would have been a piss off, his bs went directly to threats of ordering a tow truck and impounding my sled for improper registration.  Just like the first time, saw he and his partner were stopping sleds, pulled up and shut the sled off, removed my helmet and proceeded to get all my paperwork out. Sled has absolutely correct Ontario numbers, has a current val tag and Ontario pass both displayed correctly, also has season Quebec pass displayed exactly as required. I also had all required documents, yes all up to date as well and no never ever once gave him even the slightest hint of anything but courteous respect. 

For the second time, sent a letter to the Quebec Federation, no reply.

Will not be purchasing a Quebec permit this coming fall, neither will the riders I was with, we all received similar treatment.

Wow that's BS.  Maybe I'll carry the ontario regs on reg stickers with me this winter.  What part of the province were you in?  Was it a trail Warden?  Or the actual police?

I spend a lot of time in Qc. I have on occasion got the same treatment about reg #. This would be the cops signfan. Also had a couple asshats make me take off body panel to check exhaust. Recieved ticket to comply about left handed mirror, I had the wrist one. 

20 hours ago, mcZEd382 said:

Yikes.

There some major issues in the Quebec

None sound as bad as the fact that there is next to no permit enforcement in Ontario. Its literally just the honour system here.

• Thanks 1