2019 - 2020 FCMQ Permit Prices

signfan

On 7/19/2019 at 10:12 AM, sledjunk said:

In general, yes, I am sure.  In the following, the years referenced are from the motion presented at last year's AGM.  The motion last year was for the permit pricing for 2020.  Every year, the plan presents a 'matrix' of four scenarios.  A and B options are based upon no government decision regarding registration revenue and C and D is where there is a decision  where the OFSC gets $30 or more from registrations.  Options A and C are where full season permit sales for the upcoming (2018 - 2019) season are less than 5% more than the previous (2017 - 2018) season, and B and D are where full season permit sales for the upcoming (2018 - 2019) season are more than 5% over the previous (2017 - 2018) season.  There are then prices for the year following the upcoming (2019 -2020) season presented for each of those scenarios.   

So, based upon 2018 - 2019 sales, the prices for 2019 - 2020 can be predetermined and the MTO approval process can start before the 2018 -  season has even started.

With the MTO process taking months to complete, the time from the AGM to the start of the permit sales is too short to do much better than this.

Thank you sledjunk, I stand corrected.

That is quite reasonable to have various scenarios.  Still unfortunate that the MTO Minister gets to decide when they have virtually no other responsibility with regards to organized snowmobiling.

If Ontario got the level of government support that QC got do think our trail would be better than QC, I do.

• Thanks 1

If the amount of snow that consistently falls within an hour of Montreal and Quebec City fell within an hour of Toronto, Ontario would be as good or better.  That's the main difference I see between the provinces.  It equates to Quebec riders seeing more value in their permits.  Yes more gov't support would always help too.  Truth is we have excellent trail systems in both provinces.  More money is always welcomed.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Poo Man said:

None sound as bad as the fact that there is next to no permit enforcement in Ontario. Its literally just the honour system here.

This, right here. 

As far as differences go, ride there, then comment.

There's nothing that can be done about the terrain (generally speaking) in Ontario, or the snowfall, but getting acceptance in towns and villages could be improved.

Many areas in Ontario feature virtual roadblocks, and in Quebec, welcome mats, if not red carpets.

It's a chicken and egg thing. 

Government AND private sector need to get involved.

Then there's the almost total lack of rule enforcement and resultant bad publicity and trail closures.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE riding in Ontario. 

Renfrew area and Missing link get it right. I'm sure there's more, that's just my experience.

My local area makes my season worthwhile, riding 5 minutes from my house is what keeps me owning sleds and a trailer.

They work HARD to keep things going, and do a great job, but without government assistance to enforce government rules, I can't see it as sustainable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2019 at 7:38 AM, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Love Quebec and love the trails, am however tired of being harassed about my Ontario Reg numbers. Thought two years ago was a fluke, but again last season officer went up one side of me and down the other saying it's illegal to display anything other that the full Ontario reg sticker. While a ticket would have been a piss off, his bs went directly to threats of ordering a tow truck and impounding my sled for improper registration.  Just like the first time, saw he and his partner were stopping sleds, pulled up and shut the sled off, removed my helmet and proceeded to get all my paperwork out. Sled has absolutely correct Ontario numbers, has a current val tag and Ontario pass both displayed correctly, also has season Quebec pass displayed exactly as required. I also had all required documents, yes all up to date as well and no never ever once gave him even the slightest hint of anything but courteous respect. 

For the second time, sent a letter to the Quebec Federation, no reply.

Will not be purchasing a Quebec permit this coming fall, neither will the riders I was with, we all received similar treatment.

I was thinking about snowmobiling in Quebec next year. Then recalled that riders complained about Quebec trail conditions last year (folks I met in northern Ontario; some online chatter).  Add the above nonsense and it'll be  - SLED ONTARIO in 2020.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:41 AM, signfan said:

Wow that's BS.  Maybe I'll carry the ontario regs on reg stickers with me this winter.  What part of the province were you in?  Was it a trail Warden?  Or the actual police?

Never once a problem with trail patrol guys, found them to be nothing but uber pleasant. Both instances, Police in the Mont Laurier / just north of area.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:07 AM, JohnnyB said:

I spend a lot of time in Qc. I have on occasion got the same treatment about reg #. This would be the cops signfan. Also had a couple asshats make me take off body panel to check exhaust. Recieved ticket to comply about left handed mirror, I had the wrist one. 

While I could not see a thing out of it, convex stuck to the left side of my hood kept the powers to be in Quebec happy for years, did however go with a factory left mirror on my sled last year. Never understood hand mirror not being ok but then again I didn't write or enforce the law. 

As for trail conditions, never ever once did I feel grooming was sub par, always amazed by the level of grooming they receive. Can think of countless mornings waking up to freshly groomed pure heaven.

11 hours ago, Canuck said:

Then recalled that riders complained about Quebec trail conditions last year? (folks I met in northern Ontario; some online chatter). 

Sérieusement????????????????????????????????

Consider Quebec trails such as these in December of 2019 prior to your Ontario sledding in 2020. ;)

Pics from December 2018.....

1271608947_december24.JPG.f9a283ccc502ce65c20a10f2d09af8f9.JPG

december02.thumb.JPG.2e228911f806a718a45726272690eecc.JPG

Just clear your mind of the useless concept that Christmas is family time....unless family is with you!

• Like 2

Agree with Slomo. We rode 1300 km in Northwestern Quebec at the end of February and had maybe 20 km. that wasn't tabletop. Some of the additional km's that we rode in Ontario on that trip were in worse condition.  It was a Monday to Friday ride.

Yeah no organization is perfect, but if it's regular grooming you are after Quebec is hard to beat.  There is areas to avoid on weekends (ie Quebec City, Charlevoux) where no amount of grooming can keep up with the traffic, but we have those areas in Ontario too (Muskoka).  I have found the grooming to always be very good provided the weather was co-operating.

In all our trips to Quebec have never been hassled by the Police or Trail Patrol, Couple times trails were a little rough due to broken groomers or big snowfalls that hampered grooming, We will continue to go back at least once a year in the future, thinking Gaspe with a side detour into New Brunswick this winter.

I'm thinking it may be beneficial to install the ugly MTO license plate sticker on a thin aluminum plate, temporarily affixed to each side of the tunnel.  This might negate any BS form the Sortie.  Any problem with the location of the val tag ?

19 hours ago, Canuck said:

I was thinking about snowmobiling in Quebec next year. Then recalled that riders complained about Quebec trail conditions last year (folks I met in northern Ontario; some online chatter).  Add the above nonsense and it'll be  - SLED ONTARIO in 2020.

Are we visiting Chantal this coming season?...:lol::grin:

someone on here had the same issue with numbers val tag etc and the quebec police, last season. they sent a letter to the quebec snowmobile tourist association (or somewhere). they received a printed letter on letterhead stating, if it was legal in ontario (plates, permits, val tags), it was legal in quebec. the letter went on to read the police were notified and training had taken place but, a reminder may have been needed. 

food for thought, find that post, print the letter, and carry it with you. Ski

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

someone on here had the same issue with numbers val tag etc and the quebec police, last season. they sent a letter to the quebec snowmobile tourist association (or somewhere). they received a printed letter on letterhead stating, if it was legal in ontario (plates, permits, val tags), it was legal in quebec. the letter went on to read the police were notified and training had taken place but, a reminder may have been needed. 

food for thought, find that post, print the letter, and carry it with you. Ski

That would have been me. The email response you describe came from the FCMQ and was discussed on here a couple of times last year. While the FCMQ has no legal standing when it comes to the police in Quebec, this email is as good as I have seen yet to carry with you. I'll try to find it and repost.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That would have been me. The email response you describe came from the FCMQ and was discussed on here a couple of times last year. While the FCMQ has no legal standing when it comes to the police in Quebec, this email is as good as I have seen yet to carry with you. I'll try to find it and repost.

Here you go - complete with translation:

quebec.thumb.jpg.9196f1f828a4ce681180c34b33caaa38.jpg

Just save image and print it out.

• Thanks 1

Did not have a problem myself in four different areas of Quebec last year....but

in the spirit of compromise I will be applying this to my tunnel and carrying that email

tunnel.jpg.9cdfe7fa0d98fb7399bba8efec289e3c.jpg

Dans un esprit de compromis, je l'applique à mon tunnel

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 9:59 AM, slomo said:

Pre-season early pass is up $10 from last year - to $330.00 - you can get $40 back for your insurance refund - relatively easy on-line form after you receive your trail pass in the mail.

It is a more than reasonable price for consistently awesome trails.   I’ll be back in Quebec again this year.  

• Like 1