MTO Annual safety inspections for trucks and trailers

Bearcat_w

17 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Your tax dollars at work, while the roads slowly deteriorate to the point of causing accidents and vehicular damage.

Try driving in sudbury for a week

Just to throw some more confusion into this:   

Memo_Annual Inspections_June 2019.pdf

2 hours ago, Bigfish said:

This looks very promising, but doesn't exempt anyone running your personal equipment with no maintenance!

Long overdue.

Now just a matter of determining your use for some  as you trailer away....

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

actually this is good news and really no confusion  If it's personal use no yellow stickers   more $ in our pockets   I never thought they would allow this

X2

• Like 1

Definitely a step in the right direction! Only worry now is if you happen to own a bobcat and your hauling it to help your buddy out or something. 

55 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Definitely a step in the right direction! Only worry now is if you happen to own a bobcat and your hauling it to help your buddy out or something. 

Pretty sure that will fall into business use as too much of a gray area.

Besides, most that have one likely have a business so they will have the sticker. 

Which makes me wonder how home depot third party equipment rentals got around the Yellow sticker with the gear they rent nowadays. 

5 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Great timing.  Truck was going in next Tuesday for inspection.  Now just for regular maintenance.  Also, new trailer will not need sticker.  WooHoo!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stoney said:

Pretty sure that will fall into business use as too much of a gray area.

Besides, most that have one likely have a business so they will have the sticker. 

Which makes me wonder how home depot third party equipment rentals got around the Yellow sticker with the gear they rent nowadays. 

Funny you mentioned that. I was in the Home Depot in Waterloo and talking with the rental guy. There were yellow stickers on the dump trailer there and he had mentioned that it's up to you to be legal and you sign off on that when you rent. He said one guy didn't return with the trailer. He was stopped  and he wasn't legal,  everything was impounded. Home Depot basically didn't know where their trailer was.  They had his credit card so they just kept charging him  (if there was any credit left ). 

33 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Great timing.  Truck was going in next Tuesday for inspection.  Now just for regular maintenance.  Also, new trailer will not need sticker.  WooHoo!

WooHoo for sure     Happy Canada Day   Oh, and by the way    Summer doesn't suck LOL

51 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Funny you mentioned that. I was in the Home Depot in Waterloo and talking with the rental guy. There were yellow stickers on the dump trailer there and he had mentioned that it's up to you to be legal and you sign off on that when you rent. He said one guy didn't return with the trailer. He was stopped  and he wasn't legal,  everything was impounded. Home Depot basically didn't know where their trailer was.  They had his credit card so they just kept charging him  (if there was any credit left ). 

So make sure you use a card with a low limit, is what you're saying :)

I guess the same scenario could apply for uhaul trailers....but they are normally plated with US plates, hmmmm, wonder why that is....

1 hour ago, stoney said:

So make sure you use a card with a low limit, is what you're saying :)

I guess the same scenario could apply for uhaul trailers....but they are normally plated with US plates, hmmmm, wonder why that is....

In Arizona specifically. I saw on the news several years ago their DMV/DOT is very lax about the enforcement of vehicle safety. The MTO would pull plates off trucks & U Haul would contact HQ about 'lost plates' to replace them.

I dont know if things have improved concerning U Haul trucks, but I think in the 90s their fleet was pretty sketchy. I seem to remember some ancient Ford straight trucks @ their Oshawa location.

On 6/29/2019 at 2:27 PM, sledjunk said:

WooHoo, is right. No sticker on the new trailer, and now new truck..:icon_steer:

On 6/29/2019 at 9:27 AM, Bigfish said:

Great to hear.  Truck and trailer due in July, will likely still get the combo inspected, just to make sure my wife is safe with the horses inside, but now I don't need the sticker, and all the other stuff regarding different trailers I pull

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 10:17 AM, volunteer2 said:

actually this is good news and really no confusion  If it's personal use no yellow stickers   more $ in our pockets  I never thought they would allow this

Maybe the gov't could repeal the regulation eliminating the 'catch' on fuel nozzles. A pox on the nanny state!

• 1 month later...
EThe Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs commends the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) for recent changes to regulations under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) related to personal use trucks and trailers. Effective July 1, 2019, pickup trucks and trailers for personal use are exempt from the requirements of an annual inspection. This includes both the inspection and displaying the yellow decal/sticker.
“Once again the MTO has listened to the concerns of snowmobilers and the people of Ontario” said Chief Executive Officer Ryan J. Eickmeier. “These regulatory changes mean more time can be spent on the trails, and less time navigating red tape and regulatory burden.”
To qualify for the exemption, a pickup truck and trailer are to be used for personal use without compensation and not carry commercial tools or cargo, or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes. The pickup truck must also have a manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GWVR) of 6,500kg or less and have an original unmodified box or unmodified replacement box that duplicates the one originally installed by the manufacturer.
OFSC-logo-bw.png

Above was from the ofsc website.

----------

Wondering - What pick-up series exceed 6,500 gwvr? 

"The pickup truck must also have a manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GWVR) of 6,500kg or less"

My F150 FX4 has a 7350# GVWR.  They have had a higher rated optional 7700# even back in the 2000's.  Hardly rare, higher capacity pickups.  I don't know where they fished out their numbers, but they can screw themselves if they think I'm putting stickers on my stuff to haul a couple of sleds.

586472973.thumb.jpg.ab107c765b2716e385985ce7e58ecd78.jpg

I dug deeper after asking the 6,500 kg question - some  online reports are in pounds ,others just hadvea number - I think your sticker is in pounds (#). If that's the case, you're good to go without a sticker under the new rules.

Great set-up on your truck bed for loading Ski-doo's (last winter's "sled down"). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Denis007 said:

My F150 FX4 has a 7350# GVWR.  They have had a higher rated optional 7700# even back in the 2000's.  Hardly rare, higher capacity pickups.  I don't know where they fished out their numbers, but they can screw themselves if they think I'm putting stickers on my stuff to haul a couple of sleds.

586472973.thumb.jpg.ab107c765b2716e385985ce7e58ecd78.jpg

That is pounds, not Kg.  7350# = Approx 33.41 Kg.  I would think you would need to go to possibly 350 or 450 to get that high.  My F250 has an optional 9900# GVWR which is 4500 Kg.

• Like 1