MTO Annual safety inspections for trucks and trailers

Bearcat_w

Agreed on the info. regarding the changes to the yellow sticker. Sounds like it will be a while until we see any changes actually in effect.

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation would like to inform you and your members of potential amendments to Ontario Regulation 413/05, Vehicle Weights and Dimensions (VWD) for Safe, Productive, and Infrastructure-Friendly (SPIF) Vehicles. 

Everything from the above sentence on has to do with highway tractors and trucks / tractor trailers equipped with steering lift axles. It basically states 3 things:

1. Very long wheelbase tractors will be allowed to be used without permit on some trailer combinations

2. Trucks / trailers equipped with steering lift axles that are controlled by the weight on the truck/trailer will now be allowed to have an emergency control in the cab to lift the axle. Since the introduction of SPIF, there was no control in the cab for the operator to lift the axle under normal driving conditions. They could only lift it from the cab by using a sequence of switches and only for backing into a spot or creeping around a site.

The above is all about allowing very long wheelbase tractors to be used without special permits and allowing in cab switches to lift SPIF  pusher/ lift axles.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Could an Administrator please edit my above post to get rid of the huge empty space at the top of the post. No idea how I did that and I'm now locked out of editing the post for some reason. Thanks in advance.

59 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Could an Administrator please edit my above post to get rid of the huge empty space at the top of the post. No idea how I did that and I'm now locked out of editing the post for some reason. Thanks in advance.

I tried to edit out the space which resulted in one word of the quote on each line. Ended up just deleting what you had quoted.

52 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I tried to edit out the space which resulted in one word of the quote on each line. Ended up just deleting what you had quoted.

Thanks!

My issue is,if I sticker the truck I have to sticker the ALL the trailers.Not going to happen. Some just go down the road to have some computer programming done or have a new top put on.Some are mine others are customers.This proposed changes won't help me a bit.

34 minutes ago, mike37 said:

if the trailer is NOT over the weight  it done's not have to have a sticker

Some dual axle boat trailers have high weight ratings .They are way over what your carrying.You tell that to MTO wantabe thats ok. Good luck.Truck is stickered,Trailer has to be.End of story Piston Cruiser will confirm.

2 hours ago, gtserider said:

Some dual axle boat trailers have high weight ratings .They are way over what your carrying.You tell that to MTO wantabe thats ok. Good luck.Truck is stickered,Trailer has to be.End of story Piston Cruiser will confirm.

What gtserider has said is what I have always been told and thought to be correct. However earlier this year Volunteer 02 mentioned (in a thread about buying a new sled trailer) that an MTO officer had told him that the requirement for yellow safety sticker is calculated at the time the towing is taking place (in other words when they stop you).  Could be that officers "interpretation" or it could be fact. More muddy than ever LOL

If the truck and trailer combined gross weight is over 4,500kg you need yellow stickers.

Technically any tandem axle trailer needs a yellow sticker.  

11 hours ago, Sksman said:

If the truck and trailer combined gross weight is over 4,500kg you need yellow stickers.

Its this simple people,  until the law changes....

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sksman said:

Agreed on tandem trailers. Either the combined GVWR or CGW will be high enough to require stickers.
 I don't believe that is what gtserider was referring to. The question is, if you have a yellow sticker on your truck and you are pulling a light single axle sled or utility trailer, does said trailer also require a yellow safety sticker BECAUSE the truck has one???

34 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The question is, if you have a yellow sticker on your truck and you are pulling a light single axle sled or utility trailer, does said trailer also require a yellow safety sticker BECAUSE the truck has one???

Yes that is the case right now. Co-workers of my brother got pinched for towing a 2 place sled trailer behind a yellow stickered cube van (their chase vehicle).

But the cube van probably was already over the 4500 Kg.  I believe if you tow a trailer with a vehicle of lesser weight that is yellow stickered, then the combined weight comes into play.  If the GVWR of a vehicle is 3000 Kg, then as long as the combined weight is under 4500 Kg then the trailer does not need a sticker, even if the truck has one.

I think that is the point mike37 was trying to make.  Part of the confusion is when do you use actual weight (if running empty) or the GVWR of the trailer.

3 hours ago, sledjunk said:

But the cube van probably was already over the 4500 Kg.  I believe if you tow a trailer with a vehicle of lesser weight that is yellow stickered, then the combined weight comes into play.  If the GVWR of a vehicle is 3000 Kg, then as long as the combined weight is under 4500 Kg then the trailer does not need a sticker, even if the truck has one.

I think that is the point mike37 was trying to make.  Part of the confusion is when do you use actual weight (if running empty) or the GVWR of the trailer.

I believe they look at both the total combined weight and the GVWR totals and if you are over on either one you get a ticket.

Too confusing!

I'll just stick to putting the sled in the back of my vehicle.!

post-12052-0-78223700-1423108617.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Sksman said:

yes that is true but    very    very    very    sadly this combination needs yellow stickers too,    1/2 ton chev 1500 silverado  GVWR 7200 lbs plus a single axle hybrid prostar sled trailer with a GVWR 2990    Total is 10190 lbs or 4622 kg, over by 122 kg  Sad but the numbers don't lie.  

7 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I agree with SJ    Cube van is stickered on its own so obviously the trailer needs sticker since you use a total GVWR    Another idea is to use a SUV ,  Yukon, Suburban. Expedition etc and leave the seats in ( so it's not considered commercial) and everything is exempt from annual safeties.  Go figure ............

On 5/13/2019 at 9:33 PM, Sksman said:

taking in consideration that the towing vehicle is NOT commercial and registered for under 4500kg, it is not that simple, if the towed trailer is under 2800kg (actual weight) regardless of 1 or 2 axles it does not get added on to the truck weight, and you do not have to register the truck to account for this weight.   if you have a trailer that is over 2800 kg (actual weight) you would have to add the trailer weight to the actual weight of the truck, which in this case it would most likely put you over 4500lbs  would require a sticker.   http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-faq.shtml

There are no laws as far as i am aware that would force you to get a sticker for a 2 axle trailer if you can fall within the above weights.   i am not saying that you may not need one...if you are pulling ANY trailer with a stickered truck you need to have a sticker on the trailer regardless, even if it is your 12' aluminum boat.

seems to be some misleading and wrong information about towing on this forum.  I would suggest if anyone is still feeling overwhelmed with the information, stop in at a weigh scale and ask the mto directly and get the proper information directly from the inspectors. 

If i remember right, EVERY year this subject gets brought up and some of the same information is circulated again and again........

3 hours ago, snowman said:

taking in consideration that the towing vehicle is NOT commercial and registered for under 4500kg, it is not that simple, if the towed trailer is under 2800kg (actual weight) regardless of 1 or 2 axles it does not get added on to the truck weight, and you do not have to register the truck to account for this weight.   if you have a trailer that is over 2800 kg (actual weight) you would have to add the trailer weight to the actual weight of the truck, which in this case it would most likely put you over 4500lbs  would require a sticker.   http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-faq.shtml

There are no laws as far as i am aware that would force you to get a sticker for a 2 axle trailer if you can fall within the above weights.   i am not saying that you may not need one...if you are pulling ANY trailer with a stickered truck you need to have a sticker on the trailer regardless, even if it is your 12' aluminum boat.

seems to be some misleading and wrong information about towing on this forum.  I would suggest if anyone is still feeling overwhelmed with the information, stop in at a weigh scale and ask the mto directly and get the proper information directly from the inspectors. 

If i remember right, EVERY year this subject gets brought up and some of the same information is circulated again and again........

Your statements are correct but with regard to the yellow safety sticker requirement, they only speak about actual weight as you mentioned and if loaded, they have to include the loaded weights.  The MTO uses more than your example calculation to determine if you require yellow safety stickers. If the manufacturer's GVWR of the truck + the manufacturer's GVWR rating of the trailer you mentioned total over 4,500 kg. then both require yellow stickers. Below is a simplified explanation for yellow safety requirements that was previously posted in another thread:

mto safety.jpg

4 hours ago, snowman said:

It does and it's a testament to how unclear the law is. If you can tow a 15,000lb fifth wheel with a one ton truck and not need yellow stickers why should you need to towing a tandem axle sled trailer? Oh and if your towing that same trailer with a suburban you don't need yellow stickers:mellow: ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snowman said:

I was pulling a 19’ Triton with a 6,000lbs gvwr with a Ford F-150.  I went to scales and asked if I required a yellow sticker.  I live in Milton and passed the scales every time I towed trailer.  They told me yes and that they could ticket me with empty trailer.  So I sticker both knowing how many times I passed scale house and mto officers watching for infractions.

i was also told in the past  that you technically must license your tow vehicle for the combined weight of the truck and trailer.   So any truck towing a trailer could be over weight if registered at the 2,990kgs for cheapest plates on the truck.   More mud for your discussion.

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2019 at 6:11 PM, Sksman said:

I was pulling a 19’ Triton with a 6,000lbs gvwr with a Ford F-150.  I went to scales and asked if I required a yellow sticker.  I live in Milton and passed the scales every time I towed trailer.  They told me yes and that they could ticket me with empty trailer.  So I sticker both knowing how many times I passed scale house and mto officers watching for infractions.

i was also told in the past  that you technically must license your tow vehicle for the combined weight of the truck and trailer.   So any truck towing a trailer could be over weight if registered at the 2,990kgs for cheapest plates on the truck.   More mud for your discussion.

To the bold, No. If you have your truck registered for 2990 kg and they put your truck on a scale and it doesn't exceed 2990 kg then there is no over weight. With trailer or without makes no difference. The trailer weight doesn't count against the trucks registered weight until it exceeds 2800 kg.

Your example of an F150 pulling a trailer with a gvwr of 6000 lbs is the perfect scenario.

You require a yellow sticker for both but there is no need to register the truck for any more than the truck will ever weigh loaded since the trailer should never exceed 2800 kg.

Edited by Blackstar

Your tax dollars at work, while the roads slowly deteriorate to the point of causing accidents and vehicular damage.

15 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Your tax dollars at work, while the roads slowly deteriorate to the point of causing accidents and vehicular damage.

Slowly?