Beer cans on trails

andreyboater

2 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

On trail enforcement might help, but until we, as the responsible snowmobiling community AND the clubs make our concerns known, the OPP will likely be unaware that there IS a problem. They're already slammed because of their enforcement of the speed limits on the trails, for crying out loud. I think a RIDE checkpoint somewhere on the Abitibi Canyon would go over like a lead balloon.  

Most of these idiots have deep pockets.....pool their $$$ to pay the speeding fine of the first guy in line who gets nailed. Or hand over $1000 in cash to the rider whose sled you've clipped when you missed that corner....to keep it from being reported to the cops.

Every year I find new reasons to give up riding AND volunteering.

Oh.  Please don't!

• Thanks 1

:coffeenose: On the other hand, the reflection of the discarded beer cans helps mark the trail at night!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

My neighbor has a warming hut on the trail .   Stove is always lit when trails are open, and all the locals know it as well.  The chimney goes through a heated washroom on the back of the shed.   He uses that money to cover things such as toilet paper, and other small essentials the the hut uses throughout the winter. 

I think I know the "Hut" you are talking about if its between Monkton and Milverton. I won't leave beer cans but would gladly leave a couple of bucks to help out if there is a safe place to do so Dave. We have stopped at that hut many times over the years and appreciate that it's always clean and warm. 

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

I dont drink so my only interest here is the litter. I HATE litter of any and all kinds it digusts me.

That said most sledders like a beer or two. IMO the real solve is to cater to that without punishing them and most will carry their empties back out with them. From what I have seen the BEER empties are tossed because of legal risks. Remove the risks and you'll see them mostly carried out same as the rest of the littler we all carry in and out of the bush. Its the empties that are most prominent because of the risk, not because they want to litter.

• Haha 1

Cannabis use on trails is just as dangerous as beer drinking along with speeding around bends. They all produce litter in the form of beer cans, brain debris and broken sled parts. :wtf:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

Cannabis use on trails is just as dangerous as beer drinking along with speeding around bends. They all produce litter in the form of beer cans, brain debris and broken sled parts. :wtf:

I know people that i would not get in a car with unless they smoked pot. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I think I know the "Hut" you are talking about if its between Monkton and Milverton. I won't leave beer cans but would gladly leave a couple of bucks to help out if there is a safe place to do so Dave. We have stopped at that hut many times over the years and appreciate that it's always clean and warm. 

40 years on the trail.  Perry always says, if you look after the Hut, the Hut will look after itself.  5 mins a day to light the stove, and sweep the floor.  If you show up and the place is neat, you will likely leave it nice and neat. 

I've been in many huts where the lights don't work, the leaves from the fall are still in a corner, the stove is cold, (if the stove pipes are still attached, and haven't been stolen,) and there are broken chairs etc... all around.   Why would I bother to clean up, if the club cant. (not that I leave a mess)

Don't worry PLC  Its unfortunate, but I think there are enough empties every year to cover the costs.   Especially when the trails are only open 4 days a year :wtf::banghead:

Edited by Dave K

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

40 years on the trail.  Perry always says, if you look after the Hut, the Hut will look after itself.  5 mins a day to light the stove, and sweep the floor.  If you show up and the place is neat, you will likely leave it nice and neat. 

I've been in many huts where the lights don't work, the leaves from the fall are still in a corner, the stove is cold, (if the stove pipes are still attached, and haven't been stolen,) and there are broken chairs etc... all around.   Why would I bother to clean up, if the club cant. (not that I leave a mess)

Don't worry PLC  Its unfortunate, but I think there are enough empties every year to cover the costs.   Especially when the trails are only open 4 days a year :wtf::banghead:

How about you clean up as appreciation for it being there in the first place. Rather than expect a club volunteer to do it for you.

Edited by 02Sled
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

How about you clean up as appreciation for it being there in the first place. Rather than expect a club volunteer to do it for you.

It's never needed any cleaning when I've been there. It is not owned or maintained by the club. The landowner cleans it daily and makes sure the fire is going if someone hasn't already started it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Most of the time, the isn't anything available to use to clean it up.  No broom, no firewood/kindling/matches available to light the stove.  If its available, I use, bring an armload of firewood in etc...

Be careful who you accuse of not doing their part.  I'm vice Pres of our club, cook at every wing night, and stake 8 km of  field trail every year. 

Edited by Dave K
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I stopped in there last year with my son and the grandchildren.  There was some locals there. (ex Home Hardware owner).  I pointed out the burning wood stove to the kids. Opened the lid so they could see the fire and told stories of how I had to light the fire in the old cook stove we had in our farm house and how my mother used to cook on it sometimes when the power was out.  It was a good education for them.  Then they just wanted to get on the sleds again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It's never needed any cleaning when I've been there. It is not owned or maintained by the club. The landowner cleans it daily and makes sure the fire is going if someone hasn't already started it.

Dave K made a comment

I was suggesting he should clean it up rather than expect a volunteer to clean up FOR HIM. I have picked up garbage I have found trailside including a few shredded belts. I clean it up rather than EXPECTING the club to do that. I am part of the club but that isn't why I do it.

4 hours ago, Dave K said:

Most of the time, the isn't anything available to use to clean it up.  No broom, no firewood/kindling/matches available to light the stove.  If its available, I use, bring an armload of firewood in etc...

Be careful who you accuse of not doing their part.  I'm vice Pres of our club, cook at every wing night, and stake 8 km of  field trail every year. 

Then why would you make a statement

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Then why would you make a statement

I also said 

7 hours ago, Dave K said:

if you look after the Hut, the Hut will look after itself

If the club doesn't have enough respect for the hut to replace a broken light bulb, or to have a stove pipe replaced etc...  why should I.  I will lite the stove, and sweep up if the tools necessary to do it are there.  I don't carry around on my sled a broom, shovel, kindling, and firewood.  I do however carry matches and paper to light a stove should the facility exist that permits it.

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

What is to appreciate in a hut where I cant warm up and the lights don't work

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Dave K made a comment

I was suggesting he should clean it up rather than expect a volunteer to clean up FOR HIM. I have picked up garbage I have found trailside including a few shredded belts. I clean it up rather than EXPECTING the club to do that. I am part of the club but that isn't why I do it.

Attaboy 02

• Haha 1

Sure can tell the snow is gone as we now have a great debate on beer cans going ,lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zoso said:

flask is better way

My brother has a nice flask. He had this etched onto it ...

"To M*** G******, the greatest fisherman I ever met.

Bob Izumi."

:lol:

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

X2

Just got home from Trail Cleanup - Ken Reid Conservation Park to Fenlon Falls. The Railbed was without snow - even though snow fell for a few hours all the way into Fenlon Fall. Lot of water run off and creek/drains were bulging with water.

Lots of Beer Cans and Pop cans off the side of the trail..... couldn't believe it, along with garbage and cigarette boxes etc. One tree was blown over.... we cut that up and took it off trail. Left the garbage in Fenlon Falls and had lunch with the group --- 15 of us in total.

I know that we shouldn't drink on the trails, but it wasn't that bad as statistics go...... a few will drink but most of us snowmobilers are good ppl and mean well for each other.

Conclusion ..... trails were clean as can be. Cheers to all of us who respected the trails and to those of you who had a few :rolleyes::smil9::icon_clapclap: it was a good season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

20190221_095205.jpg

• Like 2

Didn't realize it matches the hut;)

20190221_112430.jpg