Beer cans on trails

andreyboater

On my last Canyon trip I wasn't in a rush, so I stopped and puck up every empty beer can I saw on trail, by the end of my day I have 37 cans in my bag. What's a shame! I'm pretty sure no people on this forum who ever left garbage on trail.  Let's keep our land clean!!!

beer cans.png

Edited by andreyboater
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, andreyboater said:

beer cans.png

20190217_120710.jpg

Edited by andreyboater

Andrey, I imagine my 1st SxS ride on E107 in the Jack's Lake area will see similar results. Mind you it also sees ATV traffic in the offseason. On tbe road ride the other day coming back from checking the back acess to the woodlot I picked up 67 empties in a 4 mile stretch south of Apsley. :(

Several were a particular brand (Michelob Ultra) so we have a pretty good idea who tossed them. He makes a daily trip between the LCBO & a friend's place on tbe lake...

On our trip into Quebec this year on the free weekend, we followed a group from Ontario, and AT EVERY  possible stop they were drinking like fish. We even seen them one morning drinking at 10am. 

Just another disregard for others safety,  and disrespect for landowners etc..

Such a shame..

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Andrey, I imagine my 1st SxS ride on E107 in the Jack's Lake area will see similar results. Mind you it also sees ATV traffic in the offseason. On tbe road ride the other day coming back from checking the back acess to the woodlot I picked up 67 empties in a 4 mile stretch south of Apsley. :(

Several were a particular brand (Michelob Ultra) so we have a pretty good idea who tossed them. He makes a daily trip between the LCBO & a friend's place on tbe lake...

For sure ATV's guys can be a part of that. but cans I puck up was on snow and some of them on trees branches and looks fresh, I even found one full beer can not even frozen and Coors hat :)

I took down stakes two weeks ago found 5 cans and  our trails where only open for two days very frustrating 

• Sad 1

The considerate drinkers will at least leave their empties in the warm-up shacks, where it's easy for the volunteers to collect and return for refund. It's called "fundraising"....

• Like 4

Maybe it's just me but when I am out sledding I have no desire to have a beer while out riding, once back at the hotel, different story lol, To each their own I guess, It is frustrating to see empty cans all over on the trails though.

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Maybe it's just me but when I am out sledding I have no desire to have a beer while out riding, once back at the hotel, different story lol, To each their own I guess, It is frustrating to see empty cans all over on the trails though.

x2 . Enjoy the apés ride cocktails.

This really disturbs me....have trained almost 100 kids in the last two years...and I'm sending them out on the trails with these idiots. Having a real conflict of conscience. 

• Like 2

I don't care if you stop and have a beer as long as your within the limit, but why would you just throw the can? People find a way to ruin everything 

2 hours ago, Poo Man said:

I don't care if you stop and have a beer as long as your within the limit, but why would you just throw the can? People find a way to ruin everything 

To each his own. We've been with visiting riders who will haul a pop out of the saddlebags when we stop on the trail, but it's not something I feel comfortable with. I really don't understand why it's acceptable. I get that people are on "holidays" but I go on long road trips in the family vehicle and having a drink enroute just doesn't enter the picture. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nunz said:

55 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

To each his own. We've been with visiting riders who will haul a pop out of the saddlebags when we stop on the trail, but it's not something I feel comfortable with. I really don't understand why it's acceptable. I get that people are on "holidays" but I go on long road trips in the family vehicle and having a drink enroute just doesn't enter the picture. 

I agree with both of you.  My feeling is that things can happen too fast on the trails with unwanted results, without anything to dampen reaction time.  I might be a 'lightweight' when it comes to drinking, but I feel that any impairment is too much on the trails, or roads for that matter.

My feeling is that someone drinking on the trails does not only affect them, it also affects me.  Either by jeopardizing my safety, or, God forbid, by ruining my trip by having to deal with the consequences after the fact.

JMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I see both your points but I see it as no different then having a beer at lunch, or having a beer at dinner then hoping on a sled. I personally don't do it, but I have stopped at a beautiful, quiet section of trail to admire the view before and thought it would be nice to have a drink. Much different then packing yourself a six pack and drinking at every stop.

• Like 1

I have never understood people who can carry full beers but can't carry home an empty.

Perhaps they are afraid of them being found if they are stopped by the OPP, but otherwise its just pure laziness.

I pickup a bunch on my cottage road every fall after hunting season.  I really don't care if you have a beer for lunch, but what makes you think its OK to litter.

• Like 3

The nanny state we live in shines bright in this forum. Excessive drinking trailside is ridiculous I agree with that. But  a beer or 2 at lunch or later in the day is harmless. Then at the hotel or at camp after a good ride I'll have as many as I wish. 

Edited by reevester
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

A beer (or 2) at lunch, with a meal, is not a problem for me. 

It's a problem for me if you're not done riding, and I'm on the same trails at the same time as you.  I just don't think it's right.

We've (almost) all had our youthful silly moments of drinking then driving when we were younger, myself included. I remember a late afternoon/evening ride that a friend of mine and I went on from KL to Sesekinika Resort, had a bowl of chili and a beer.  Just one.  I very much disliked the feeling of riding a sled after having only one,  I could feel I wasn't myself and didn't enjoy it a bit.  I haven't had a drink before sledding since.  I'll think nothing of having a couple of glasses of wine during/after supper, then driving 3 blocks to the house (after a 2 hour stay after supper), because the sensations aren't the same as on a sled. It's difficult to explain.

• Like 6

The land owner that shut us off this spring commented on the empty beer cans on his property, It leaves a bad representation of what sledding is about when peeps leave trash

Im ok with a pint at lunch but take your trash with you,  It makes us all look like a bunch of boozing idiots

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live on a dirt road in a rural area. One of my neighbors must be an alcoholic. Near the highway there are beer cans tossed out onto the side of the road every day. Pretty sure I know which guy does it. While sitting on my next door neighbor.s porch another guy pulled in to say high, my neighbor offered him a beer and he said no as he raised the one he was drinking. Same brand and a guy that drives with open beers pretty much tells the tale. I just hope he does not kill anyone before he is caught.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't have a problem with riders having a beer at lunch but the reality here is that people throwing empties on the trail are in all likelihood breaking at least 2 laws, creating more opportunity for hurting others and themselves plus jeopardizing our trail systems' future. Proper on trail enforcement by the police would curtail some of this issue but at present most of these guys realize the chances of them getting caught is minimal and they just don't care about other riders on the trails or the trails future JMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I don't have a problem with riders having a beer at lunch but the reality here is that people throwing empties on the trail are in all likelihood breaking at least 2 laws, creating more opportunity for hurting others and themselves plus jeopardizing our trail systems' future. Proper on trail enforcement by the police would curtail some of this issue but at present most of these guys realize the chances of them getting caught is minimal and they just don't care about other riders on the trails or the trails future JMHO.

On trail enforcement might help, but until we, as the responsible snowmobiling community AND the clubs make our concerns known, the OPP will likely be unaware that there IS a problem. They're already slammed because of their enforcement of the speed limits on the trails, for crying out loud. I think a RIDE checkpoint somewhere on the Abitibi Canyon would go over like a lead balloon.  

Most of these idiots have deep pockets.....pool their $$$ to pay the speeding fine of the first guy in line who gets nailed. Or hand over $1000 in cash to the rider whose sled you've clipped when you missed that corner....to keep it from being reported to the cops.

Every year I find new reasons to give up riding AND volunteering.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

A lot of money can be had at the LCBO for turning those cans in   :juggle:  gas money? :smil9:

My neighbor has a warming hut on the trail .   Stove is always lit when trails are open, and all the locals know it as well.  The chimney goes through a heated washroom on the back of the shed.   He uses that money to cover things such as toilet paper, and other small essentials the the hut uses throughout the winter. 

• Like 1