North Bay - March 27th

signfan

Did a 250 km loop today leaving from the Portage.  Headed north on A, then across A102Q and south on NB308.  Then headed east on A112A to Mattawa, down to the A and brought it back to the Portage outside town.  All in all great riding.  85% I would call mid February conditions (no bare ground, no ice, no washouts, just awesome well groomed trails).  Only bad spot I rode was the trails that are 5 km in any direction of Mattawa.  Bare road north of the river and the hydro line just sucked (bare ground and 24" moguls) south of town.  Bonfield club gets points for best grooming, but really everything was very very good.  If you are looking for one last ride this weekend and don't want an 8 hour drive I highly recommemd North Bay and area.  Don't be discouraged by what things look like from the highway either. Things are still very good and worth the drive.  Not sure if this is it for my season or not.  If it is things ended on a very positive note.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On Saturday or Sunday I plan to ride the Missing Link trails starting at the Brent Rd... also going to go for a ride down to the park.. if anyone wants to join me lemme know

44 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Stakes removed from Trout Lake in North Bay last night.

What do they use to free the stakes from the ice Brian?

Generally you wait for a sunny warm day and they just pull out.

We tried a few yesterday and they cam out easy.

• Thanks 1

Soup nailed it.  On a sunny, warm day the orange plastic warms up and melts the ice enough to get them out.  The timing is critical to be safe and of course waiting too late and not being able to recover them.  It is a long run on Trout Lake on both A and D trails, I have never counted them.  I did the signing but never the lake staking.