Trail Signage KM marking?

polarispete

2 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

I had the gps tracks for our club that were provided for the itg.  I simply uploaded them to google earth.

Its a valuable tool..

Have you done this lately? I know Garmin's BaseCamp has lost the 'connectivity' w/ Google Earth in the past year. If you have a work around, could you post it? TIA!

16 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

ITG is not necessary just convenient.  Someone at the District can surely provide the length of each section of any Club’s trail if they don’t have them, after all they are updating Trail Status a couple of times a week.

Most Districts still have paper trail maps with Kms of each section.  Lacking that most snowmobiles still have odometers.

This doesn’t have to be done every year, only if some are missing.  I kept a photo file of every intersection, from all approaches.

The Fuel signs were posted at intersections and also between intersections as may be necessary.

ED1EC2C8-37EB-462D-A79F-F961A92A3D56.jpeg

075B7C97-F066-4952-9F49-AC30D41D242C.jpeg

Are those blue & white signs the same size or larger than what we typically find on the trails? Thank you for using white arrows and not the smaller black ones that I assume are to be used on these signs:

image.png.287d9e5dd7d5b76ee0a30c8e39dd36bc.png

On the bold, that's what I did back in the 90s. I rode from intersection to intersection noting the distances on the club map. Did the calculations & painted the signs accordingly.

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

Are those blue & white signs the same size or larger than what we typically find on the trails? Thank you for using white arrows and not the smaller black ones that I assume are to be used on these signs:

image.png.287d9e5dd7d5b76ee0a30c8e39dd36bc.png

On the bold, that's what I did back in the 90s. I rode from intersection to intersection noting the distances on the club map. Did the calculations & painted the signs accordingly.

White arrows are generally reflective and are to be used on the blue signs.

The black, non reflective, are generally used on trail markers.

Bit when you don't have the right one, anyone of them will do.

Yes, they are standard size trail signs.

I added the black arrows for the white background signs and the white arrows and numerals on the blue background Destination signs.p

the 127 KMS TO and 3 KMS TO labels were made by the local sign shop Gateway Signs & Service.  These Advanced signs were well received as they give Touring riders the assurance that they are heading in the right direction and for what distance  when they looking for a particular major trail.

The District ordered in bulk for the standard Destination signs and Club was billed for each one but that may have changed in last few years.

THE PORTAGE Sign was custom ordered from supplier in Shelburne and you can do it online, pick appropriate logos and specify the number of Kms.

Our Club paid for those to help the businesses and touring riders.

Edited by bbakernbay

The 1st 2 signs are from D2 (sorry about the small image size). One sign is used w/ multiple destinations. I wish the icons @ the bottom were deleted as it just makes the sign crowded. The last 2 are from D6. There no longer was an intersection @ this point so I guess arrows aren't needed but they do look incomplete. Nailed to a tree, no arrows & 'homemade' numbers looks a bit shoddy. Then you have no mileages or arrows.

1895313354_Mileagesigns1.jpg.ee68e119f7b7aaa2aff9e4a8f0de3147.jpg1722132727_Mileagesigns2.jpg.cd8f1bd84bf20f67584938da034063a4.jpg276363677_Mileagesigns3.thumb.jpg.c66aac0fffceb009a447fe28ca54759d.jpg398653272_Mileagesigns4.thumb.jpg.1e89eb7a1d8efa7cf2e0fec3216e80ef.jpg 

• Like 1

We put 4x8 sign boards up about 4 years ago. They cost about $300 bucks, gotta bunch of local businesses to sponsor at $500 to have their names on top. Some were shared at $250 a piece

A total of 10 went up, the extra cash went to the other intersection signs ( just regular blue destination) as we have around 24 intersections

The signs are aluminum I think, last forever, and he can just reprint a new map if needed, it was a lot of work and all volunteer and not one dime from permit money 

40F22E38-BFEB-4924-985B-2F6834EAF8A4.jpeg

• Like 4

On 3/26/2019 at 7:48 PM, revrnd said:

That is the $64 question. Sign theft & they just replaced it w/ a partially 'suitable' sign? 

This has been a peeve of many a rider over the years.

You didn't mention the signage that shows the distance increasing the closer you get to your destination...

worse than no km's on sign is wrong km on sign. i see plenty of those. one around my local trails is a good 20km longer to the town than listed. that could cause a fuel issue for those not local.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What we had in the 90s:

1750086165_20190408_140125-Copy.thumb.jpg.9847349c1928515e076bfb28f4a24ed3.jpg

20190408_135951.jpg.31d4816d95f25b461804ab5af0fb7cb8.jpg

Not pretty, but better than what was not in place @ the time. 

Still can see some of the small white/red metal triangle signs on one of my trails I maintain. They never showed up that well in the daylight but I see them at night with the groomer lights. I remember putting them up many,many  years ago, and to keep getting our signs from getting stolen I used double headed nails. What a PITA to get back off that was. Lessons learned, but some still remain but are now off the edge of the trail by a few feet in places with the growth that has taken place over the years. 

• Like 2