Snowmobile drowning in Kearney today?

Bigdaddy63250

It was a tragic event.  Both ends of that lake are usually open or very thin due to moving current from the river and should be avoided at all times, even when the ice in the middle is safe to ride - those areas are NOT.   I know that sledders often take the lake across to avoid road riding, however, at this time of year - the ice is changing everyday due to deterioration from the mild temps, hot sun and river current due to ice and snow melt, this is a moving body of water.  The lake is not staked - however, local knowledge is a good thing.  This happened just down from our place.  At this time of year the river mouth starts to open up and open water is visible.  I was not there at the time of this tragedy - but I was told by others that were there that there had been sleds "puddle jumping" the open water at the end of the lake.  This occurs every year at this time - sledders taking their lives into their hands for the adrenaline rush of crossing open water to the other side.  PLEASE STOP!  We watch this every year and I always have the phone in my hand with 911 on speed dial. My understanding is that is what happened here.  My condolences to his family and friends at this tragic loss of life.  :cry:

• Sad 3

Giddy Up, my brother sent me this ladt night:

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/mobile/man-42-dies-after-falling-into-open-water-on-snowmobile-1.4350682#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=sEZNdKQ

He was wondering if I knew which direction the water flowed.

On the 1st link, you have to wonder if there is journalism schooling anymore? Using the word collision to describe this? SMH

Revrnd. The water flows to the south and at this time of year when the snow pack is melting the current can get quite strong.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My condolences to his family and friends.  We use that shortcut all the time when going through that area.

• Like 1

Odd to die puddle jumping with a group.

we have done it so many times I can't count that high, 2 friends have gone down and neither ever came close to drowning, but accidents happen, condolences

I read somewhere that the real problem comes to light in the spring when the current is really strong due to thaw and run off. The sled goes straight down but the rider gets swept away by the current and then under the ice. The current is too strong for them to make it back to the open water.