Afternoon ride by Sudbury

Yamatario

We were supposed to do a 3 day trip from Sudbury to Cochrane but did a 200km sled ride and then drove back home. My chain case blew after roller tension screws came loose

IMG_20190320_131646.thumb.jpg.31e6662a39e8737a7691e6ef9993b4ce.jpg1054212235_truckstats.thumb.jpg.20a304be2b96799602b21e651668cd78.jpg1503890464_sledstats.thumb.jpg.1c00d20b41da920e4b94b12357caea3e.jpg

repairs cost covered by warranty but lost opportunity for trip. Hoping to get back up there next week with another sled as waiting for back order parts.

33 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

repairs cost covered by warranty but lost opportunity for trip. Hoping to get back up there next week with another sled as waiting for back order parts.

Best of luck with everything.  Sucks to be down a sled, especially this time of year.  

58 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

Is that a common/known problem with those? Sorry to hear about your lost opportunity. 

3 hours ago, Yamatario said:

Damn that sucks!!  I haven't had any issues with my Sidewinder, but I have i put silicone around my sight glass and tacked the bolts on my chain tensioner as these seem to cause issues.  I am hoping to get up to Cochrane area next weekend, was planning on heading up Thursday but weather is looking to be warm with rain, really hoping it changes as it will be my last ride for the season.  Hopefully they can get you up and running, sorry to hear about that!

9 hours ago, Irv said:

Is that a common/known problem with those? Sorry to hear about your lost opportunity. 

Seems to be more common a problem. A lot of guys are putting tack weld to prevent it. But they don't break down in the garage.

My buddy had the chain case fail in North Bay this winter.  It was his first riding trip on a new 2019 Sidewinder.  On Sunday morning he reversed in the parking lot and seen the oil trail.  Put it in the trailer and we drove home.  Dealer fixed it but would not say what the problem was.  I thought it was the top bearing that came apart, but if the tension roller fell down, that would blow out the case.

34 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

My buddy had the chain case fail in North Bay this winter.  It was his first riding trip on a new 2019 Sidewinder.  On Sunday morning he reversed in the parking lot and seen the oil trail.  Put it in the trailer and we drove home.  Dealer fixed it but would not say what the problem was.  I thought it was the top bearing that came apart, but if the tension roller fell down, that would blow out the case.

Why are some dealers like that I wonder.  If I bring something in to anyone for anything I want to know what the problem is or was.

1 hour ago, Yamatario said:

Seems to be more common a problem. A lot of guys are putting tack weld to prevent it. But they don't break down in the garage.

Back-ordered parts would indicate there is a higher than predicted demand for those parts. That would indicate an issue.

13 hours ago, Yamatario said:

Sadly a know problem for the past few months at least.   Vipers I think  also risk the same fate I have heard, as well as others I would suspect.  Below is a link in detail the problem and a solution.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/cat-dna-strikes-again-chaincase-tensioner-roller-wheel-fail.156166/

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Back-ordered parts would indicate there is a higher than predicted demand for those parts. That would indicate an issue.

The back ordered parts are the top gears. My top gears had play in them. The dealer thinks, can't prove it, but the top gear gets play in it then sets up vibration which then causes the screws to back out. 

Yes the vipers are the same but not the hp going through the gear, so maybe the gear is deteriorating faster on the Sidewinders.

I believe that Yamaha sells the bushing for the top gear as a separate part.  I think I saw it on TY last year.  That gets loose on the shaft but I don't know why since the only relative motion between the two is in reverse.  I am going to TIG weld the screws to the bracket this summer.  If the roller or bearing needs changing, get the bracket too.

Archived