The freeriding has to STOP

GTC

Sorry Crispy your examples of " enforcing" causing the opposite impact.... are apples and oranges comparison.  Here is my examples where enforcement and upping the ante worked.  SEATBELT laws. They started out with minimal public participation...but as they enforced it is common  usage with probably 99% seatbelt use. Same goes for drunk driving back in 70's socially acceptable ....but now with enforcement and upping fines it is not socially acceptable and as a percent of drivers is down. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

Sorry Crispy your examples of " enforcing" causing the opposite impact.... are apples and oranges comparison.  Here is my examples where enforcement and upping the ante worked.  SEATBELT laws. They started out with minimal public participation...but as they enforced it is common  usage with probably 99% seatbelt use. Same goes for drunk driving back in 70's socially acceptable ....but now with enforcement and upping fines it is not socially acceptable and as a percent of drivers is down. 

Today I saw a girl driving thru the village while talking & holding a white rectangular object to her ear.

Obviously the deterrents arent steep enough yet on the distracted driving front...

Your right Revrnd......but you can bet someone here will suggest that the girl with the cell phone should be given amazon bonus buck coupons if she promises to try better next time not to be distracted. 

This should be viewed as with Ice riding aka KNOW BEFORE YOU GO.

Find out where it is acceptable and legal to ride off trail. 

Clearly in Southern Ontario there is not much for crown or legal off trail riding.

I off trail ride these days 70-80% of my season here in Manitoba.  I trail rode just last weekend in an awesome valley, it was very tempting to go off trail in quite a few spots,but i had no clue if this was allowed or legal so i stuck to the trails. 

Blaming the whole segment of riders because of a few idiots is wrong , EDUCATION is key.

People have been off trail riding since the 1st sleds, and again people have trespassed since the beginning too, education and being informed can solve lots of issues and has in the past. 

Our group condones cans, as why disturb other people for no reason. 

Reason for me to off trail riding thee days, way less idiots vs trail riding wrong side of the trail , people passing you at 90mph, way less drinking, and no quads,SxS and 4x4 entitled dolts ruining our day.

EDUCATION IS THE WAY TO HELP WITH THIS SITUATION. KNOW BEFORE YOU GO!!!

21 hours ago, soupkids said:

WTF... 

20 hours ago, gobills said:

Crispy do you snowmobile??

I think he has the tin foil hat on today...

15 hours ago, Panther340 said:

Your right Revrnd......but you can bet someone here will suggest that the girl with the cell phone should be given amazon bonus buck coupons if she promises to try better next time not to be distracted. 

and now accidents and fatalities associated with distracted driving are more numerous than drinking and driving. Give the girl a hug and explain why it's not good and she will stop.

The trail permit certainly is enforceable on crown land regardless of non exclusivity for OFSC. It is enforceable for motorized snow vehicles on prescribed trails. As far as exemptions for anglers; there are several exemptions that include deeded land owners, trappers and their helpers, prospectors etc...

The exemption allows use of the OFSC trail without a permit only from the closest, safe access point. In other words yo must trailer as close as is safe and sled the remaining portion.

2 hours ago, Pelicanbeast said:

Zoso is wrong on this one. A trail permit is required on an MSV on a prescribed trail and is most certainly enforceable.

Nope. Sorry but you cannot enforce the permit on crown land when there is no exclusive use agreement with the ministry. On general use crown lands the ministry is no longer giving ofsc exclusive rights during winter. The OPP will not enforce the permit any longer on these lands, because they cannot. Just like a lake, the OFSC can no longer have a prescribed trail on general use crown lands without an agreement with the ministry in place. The same as summer roads, no prescribed trails on these either. just because you desire something to be true, does not make it true. further, just because that is the way it has been in the past, does not mean it is that way in the future. I cn drive my truck on an OFSC groomed trail on a summer road and it is perfectly legal. Now, since the ministry has screwed us, I can drive my truck on OFSC groomed trails on general use crown land.  The course of action has been to ignore the issue and hope it just goes away, but it will not, until the ministry once again grants exclusive rights for only the OFSC.

The OPP won’t have a clue if they are on crown land or private land

If they are on a prescribed trail they will lay fines and the individual will have to go to court to fight the fine.

Thats how I see it happening !

1 hour ago, GTC said:

The OPP won’t have a clue if they are on crown land or private land

If they are on a prescribed trail they will lay fines and the individual will have to go to court to fight the fine.

Thats how I see it happening !

They do have a clue, and they are NOT laying any charges on crown lands. the trail below is a very popular loop, guess what, I can drive my truck on it year round and there is not one thing anyone can say about it.

chiniloop.PNG.9399d5b0049a59d6f38b611d9c2ecae9.PNG

1 hour ago, zoso said:

They do have a clue, and they are NOT laying any charges on crown lands. the trail below is a very popular loop, guess what, I can drive my truck on it year round and there is not one thing anyone can say about it.

chiniloop.PNG.9399d5b0049a59d6f38b611d9c2ecae9.PNG

Right or wrong there is no point in arguing the point.

It's up to the police to figure it out and we know how that will work out.

Why would they actually snowmobile when they can sit a a road crossing and stop 100's of sleds all while in the climate controlled cruiser ?

My buddy had the trail going thru his farm land and a couple A holes, with noisy cans were freeriding all his fields at 2AM. Now we have to road ride around his farm. We should be brainstorming a solution, arguing is a total waste of time. The OFSC will have to find a way to police the issue of freeriding where not permitted. If the industry is producing off trail sleds maybe we/they need to switch gears and assign some areas as off trail friendly somehow? This forum has some smart people, how about we spend the time trying to solve this problem rather than argue about it. 

I the southern areas maybe the OFSC can make an agreement with seasonally closed gravel pits to allow freeriding (of course cans free as people still live in the area). I know there will many logistical issues to overcome; but its a start. Also post signs in areas stating this is not a freeriding area.

Jerry

31 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I the southern areas maybe the OFSC can make an agreement with seasonally closed gravel pits to allow freeriding (of course cans free as people still live in the area). I know there will many logistical issues to overcome; but its a start. Also post signs in areas stating this is not a freeriding area.

Jerry

Stay on trail or permission revoked signs are already everywhere. they just ignore them.

Fiddling while Rome burns. 

Stupidity is contagious, and with virtually no enforcement, this sport is doomed without a plan. 

When it's done, it's done, and the government of Ontario doesn't give a crap.

They won't enforce rules, and won't let anyone else enforce them.

Anyone who sees this ending well has their head up their ass. 

In hindsight, we'll all be wondering why someone didn't do anything.

Before it was too late.

i truly understand the concern FOR ORGANIZED SLEDDING TRAILS, and DO NOT CONDONE TRESPASSING AT ALL. 

the point you are missing mike, is...  the sport is not doomed... if all the trails on private property close, and the systems collapse, people will still be riding. until they outlaw snowmobiles, there will always be riding. the organized groomed trail riding network maybe in jeopardy but, riding will always be there. 

in michigan they have started to purchase land/trail access to make a PERMANENT TRAIL SYSTEM, that cannot be removed unless the state (govt, dnr, mnr ect...) close it. they dont cry eminent domain, and take the land for this purpose, they offer, and buy it up, for the good of, and longevity, of the system. 

i dont have the answers to stop it, other than better enforcement, education to those that trespass, better barriers, to prevent trespass. it is sad indeed. Ski

34 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

i truly understand the concern FOR ORGANIZED SLEDDING TRAILS, and DO NOT CONDONE TRESPASSING AT ALL. 

the point you are missing mike, is...  the sport is not doomed... if all the trails on private property close, and the systems collapse, people will still be riding. until they outlaw snowmobiles, there will always be riding. the organized groomed trail riding network maybe in jeopardy but, riding will always be there. 

in michigan they have started to purchase land/trail access to make a PERMANENT TRAIL SYSTEM, that cannot be removed unless the state (govt, dnr, mnr ect...) close it. they dont cry eminent domain, and take the land for this purpose, they offer, and buy it up, for the good of, and longevity, of the system. 

i dont have the answers to stop it, other than better enforcement, education to those that trespass, better barriers, to prevent trespass. it is sad indeed. Ski

Ski that is amazing what Michigan is doing.  That would be a good thing if the ofsc was to start pursuing ownership of land to make a permanent trail system.  Then still comes the enforcement of idiots with cans and trespassing.

There's no way the current funding of the ofsc could allow it to purchase land, especially in the south. Ì think they could develop a system to pay landowners though, might make them more willing to put up with the bs.

1 hour ago, grover_yyz said:

Jerry

i think that would be a law suit waiting to happen.  Canada is coming close to the U.S when it comes to law suits for everything and anything.  A quick listen to the radio and you will hear all the adds from lawyers not getting a retainer for business these days.  our commercial insurance broker says that is one of the reasons our corporate insurance has been hitting new highs..

Archived