Muskoka - South West Area (Bala, Mactier, Port Severn)

GibsonNytro

Hey Y'all, wondering how things held up in the area after the rain yesterday?  I see the Bala trails are now showing red, is that because they hoped they could keep people off them yesterday & today and there is a chance they open up for tomorrow?  I saw a post this morning saying that 6 star (mactier) will still be out grooming this weekend.

Would really like to get 1 last blast off from the cottage without hooking up a trailer.

Thanks!

Lots of swamps and low areas in MLSTA area. Its likely too flooded. Baxter should be ok. I know Baxter has dealt with alot of low areas and built them up and installed culverts over the last few years. Not much road running either.  Smart should be ok also in the bush. Hydro line could be iffy and low areas..

Thanks for the reply Yukon - Hope to make one last blast around.  I also saw earlier this week that the ice breaker is planning coming into Midland this weekend. So heads up folks, that wont be safe. 

1 hour ago, GibsonNytro said:

Thanks for the reply Yukon - Hope to make one last blast around.  I also saw earlier this week that the ice breaker is planning coming into Midland this weekend. So heads up folks, that wont be safe. 

The Ice breaker is in Sarnia, so I would say tentatively. LOL.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=316001890

43 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The Ice breaker is in Sarnia, so I would say tentatively. LOL.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=316001890

Sarnia has been home for the Risley this winter. It has made a number of trips to Goderich to break the ice up so that the salt boats could load for deliveries to the lower Detroit River area and to Chicago and ports north of Chicago. Final boat of last sailing season loaded salt about 2 weeks ago and laid up in Sarnia. On one of the Risley's trips to Goderich they had to free a USCG boat that was trying to do icebreaking duties at Goderich for the Algoma fleet.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GibsonNytro said:

LOL - Not sure why they would post it then... Georgian Bay Snow-riders posted on Tuesday/Wednesday that the ship was expected in at some point this weekend.

Made the CTV news as well that they would be in this weekend. If I recall correctly they have had a US based ice breaker come in to Midland in the past based on availability.

I think the trails will be fine until you get to the low lying areas of the trail that dont have the proper culverts as Yukon explained. Six Mile Lake is a puddle right now. Saw some folks trying to run it this afternoon. Maybe 20 MPH with rooster tails and you could tell sleds were struggling. If it gets cold enough to lock up again the lakes might be possible but we will need some snow for lube. Its the low parts of the trail that I would be concerned with. Baxter has done a great job with the trails this year so most of the trail will be good until you get to those low areas then it will be anyones guess if the trail will be able to handle the water flow. 

• Like 1

Pleasantly shocked on how good the trails were in the Port Severn area on Sunday.  Rode from the cottage on Gibson Lake down to Port Severn and C trail was freshly groomed.  The last part of the C trail from 11B into Port Severn was a little light on the snow.  Trail 19 from Port back to the tunnel under the 400 was great.  Just enough lube on the lakes to keep sled cool and the slider from burning up too much.  Fingers crossed for may 1 more blast next weekend on the lakes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GibsonNytro said:

Pleasantly shocked on how good the trails were in the Port Severn area on Sunday.  Rode from the cottage on Gibson Lake down to Port Severn and C trail was freshly groomed.  The last part of the C trail from 11B into Port Severn was a little light on the snow.  Trail 19 from Port back to the tunnel under the 400 was great.  Just enough lube on the lakes to keep sled cool and the slider from burning up too much.  Fingers crossed for may 1 more blast next weekend on the lakes.  

Be careful if you venture out onto Georgian Bay. The ice breaker has been into Midland.

Apparently the CCGS Samuel Risley only made it to within 2 nautical miles of Hope Island. The ice is still too thick. They stopped breaking ice but will return and let us know when they do. They did warn of ice breaking tracks in the area of Hope Island. As per GBSR page on the face book. 

15 hours ago, Xfirecat said:

Apparently the CCGS Samuel Risley only made it to within 2 nautical miles of Hope Island. The ice is still too thick. They stopped breaking ice but will return and let us know when they do. They did warn of ice breaking tracks in the area of Hope Island. As per GBSR page on the face book. 

It's going to take a lot of hot days this summer to get the upper great lakes warmed up.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to this although I doubt anyone will be riding the bay now, the Bristol Bay couldn’t break up the ice this week and the Coast guard is sending a bigger ice breaker. Strike two!

34 minutes ago, Xfirecat said:

As an update to this although I doubt anyone will be riding the bay now, the Bristol Bay couldn’t break up the ice this week and the Coast guard is sending a bigger ice breaker. Strike two!

Still lots of locals running where they know is best. Several where out watching strike 2 LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Another update: The Pierre Radison (ice breaker) is up to bat Monday to try to open Midland harbour. 

1 hour ago, Xfirecat said:

Another update: The Pierre Radison (ice breaker) is up to bat Monday to try to open Midland harbour. 

From what I have read it is "Arctic Grade" and will blow through whatever ice is there.

• Like 1

Namesake: Pierre Radisson
Operator: Canadian Coast Guard
Port of registry: Ottawa, Ontario

Currently showing North of Hope Island.. Read earlier this morning they expected the ship to be into Midland by 11:00AM. Doesn't look like its got very far today.  

Ice Breaker.PNG

Edited by GibsonNytro

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GibsonNytro said:

Looks like they will give it another shot tomorrow.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/ice-breaker-scheduled-for-georgian-bay-this-week-1.4381273

This is getting quite comical.. 

An ice breaker that can't break ice is like a cheese shop with no cheese.

Wensleydale?

• Haha 1

Maybe Trudope's @ the wheel trying out for a new gov't. job!

The ice thickness on the Ontario side of Lake Huron this winter has been a challenge. A USCG boat trying to break ice into Goderich Harbour had to be freed by the Griffin in Mid February. The Radisson is the best ice breaker the Canadian Coast Guard has on the Great Lakes.

12 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The ice thickness on the Ontario side of Lake Huron this winter has been a challenge. A USCG boat trying to break ice into Goderich Harbour had to be freed by the Griffin in Mid February. The Radisson is the best ice breaker the Canadian Coast Guard has on the Great Lakes.

The Radisson is moving into the area.  Let's see how far she gets today.  If anyone in the area gets any pics of it moving into Midland please post up. I'd love to see this thing in action.

Capture.thumb.PNG.77db848fd464ca5b85534eabcb0d898b.PNG