Sign Posts

revrnd

Do any club volunteers know of alternative sources for U channel sign posts besides BMR in Campbellford? 

We were paying $18+tax a post this winter. Cost has gone up from $11+tax a year ago.

33 minutes ago, gobills said:

Rev can't you make those with your fab skills?

I don't have a rolling mill or galvanizing tank LOL

Holy cow!  That's cheap!  I work for a School Board and one of the grounds guys told me the Board pays about $75 for an 8 foot length.  

31 minutes ago, Crow said:

So many things wrong with that. 

How can that be justified? 

Sounds like the US Navy procurement horror stories.

https://supplyritesteel.com

If you feel like contacting this company, be curious to know what their prices are like.

Your original price from BMR, was that through the club, or your district? Maybe can get a bulk discount if other clubs place their orders together??

Our club took on a new railbed this season, but ordered 1" square tubing for posts to save money. Don't think it was a great idea as some had surface rust before they even went into the ground.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Sounds like the US Navy procurement horror stories.

Sounds like typical waste to me.

Like 4 hydro boom trucks to replace 1 pole or MTO and municipal plows out yesterday morning when the slush was already melted.

1 hour ago, Grimm said:

Holy cow!  That's cheap!  I work for a School Board and one of the grounds guys told me the Board pays about $75 for an 8 foot length.  

You mean the taxpayers pay $75.00 for an 8’ length. Be interesting to know who the buyer for the board is. Obviously some unqualified professional who has no clue what they are doing.

Yes they do. They got a job where purchasing $5 worth of material for $75 is perfectly acceptable, and takes a week. 

If they're not taking a sick day or 3.

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

Do any club volunteers know of alternative sources for U channel sign posts besides BMR in Campbellford? 

We were paying $18+tax a post this winter. Cost has gone up from $11+tax a year ago.

It should be a district purchase Kris, clubs should be buying in bulk as stated..The district should be calling other districts to find a good supplier.. $18/ Stake is to much to be purchasing at. District 7 uses u channels but I'm not sure of the supplier..

7 hours ago, Grimm said:

Good opportunity for the school board to save money.

6 hours ago, Crow said:

Sounds like typical waste to me.

Like 4 hydro boom trucks to replace 1 pole or MTO and municipal plows out yesterday morning when the slush was already melted.

The Kubota tractor came down our sidewalk Wed in the pouring rain with the blade down scraping the bare concrete.

6 hours ago, snapper said:

You mean the taxpayers pay $75.00 for an 8’ length. Be interesting to know who the buyer for the board is. Obviously some unqualified professional who has no clue what they are doing.

Just shows why the schools need to teach math, finance and economics again. Not the stuff they pass of for math.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

The Kubota tractor came down our sidewalk Wed in the pouring rain with the blade down scraping the bare concrete.

At least up here they tow a sander when the plow nothing.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Just shows why the schools need to teach math, finance and economics again. Not the stuff they pass of for math.

I think the days of 'discovery math' are numbered in Ontario.

One of the channels had Sea Biscuit on the other day to give her comment on the upcoming changes to Ontario's math curriculum (I changed the channel).

W/ her starting her political career as school trustee, I can only imagine the BS she would've spouted of in support of the nonsense that they've bern passing off as 'math'...

45 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I think the days of 'discovery math' are numbered in Ontario.

One of the channels had Sea Biscuit on the other day to give her comment on the upcoming changes to Ontario's math curriculum (I changed the channel).

W/ her starting her political career as school trustee, I can only imagine the BS she would've spouted of in support of the nonsense that they've bern passing off as 'math'...

It was announced this morning discovery math is done...

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Thank God  my kids are currently learning this way of math and I despise it.  I'm glad there going back to the old way.  

33 minutes ago, gobills said:

Thank God  my kids are currently learning this way of math and I despise it.  I'm glad there going back to the old way.  

I witnessed my brother (who is a math wiz) & nephew battle over homework. The 'methods' made no sense...

Prices should have dropped back to the old levels by now.  Aluminum and steel has corrected itself.  We saw increases like this in commodity items last fall at work.  Thank Trump and his ridiculous tariffs.

3 hours ago, signfan said:

Prices should have dropped back to the old levels by now.  Aluminum and steel has corrected itself.  We saw increases like this in commodity items last fall at work.  Thank Trump and his ridiculous tariffs.

I saw some of the pricing for 'road' posts (heavier gauge) & they start @ 48 bucks. I know the county left 1 on the boulevard of our vacant lot. Much heavier than the posts that the OFSC uses.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:42 AM, Crow said:

So many things wrong with that. 

How can that be justified? 

15 for the post, 30 for the guy ordering it, and 30 for the guy selling it. pretty standard in government procurement.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:58 PM, 02Sled said:

Liberal math+discovery math = "And the budget will balance itself"   

On 3/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, revrnd said:

I saw some of the pricing for 'road' posts (heavier gauge) & they start @ 48 bucks. I know the county left 1 on the boulevard of our vacant lot. Much heavier than the posts that the OFSC uses.

Yes what many OFSC clubs use is called Mini u-channel.  Road departments use standard U channel posts or tele-strut for the majority of their sign installations.   

34 minutes ago, signfan said:

Yes what many OFSC clubs use is called Mini u-channel.  Road departments use standard U channel posts or tele-strut for the majority of their sign installations.   

The 1 supplier I found was selling mostly the tele-strut posts.

Archived