OFSC ITG versus Polaris Ride Command App

Fergie

I just started playing with the Polaris Ride Command app and noticed that it shows trails that are not on the OFSC ITG.

For example, the Polaris Ride Command app shows trails running down lake Baptiste that are not on the ITG.  Have other people noticed this as well?  Any thoughts on which app is more accurate?

The trail from Innerkip to Plattsville has been moved for at least 5 years but the ITG still shows the trail in the old location.

Ride command was developed for ATV's and then adapted for sleds.

Even here in Sudbury the trails are wrong in lots of places.

I don't know where ride command gets their data. 

The Polaris ride command App is crowd sourced. So anyone can update the map from with whichever tracks they have with no governing body overseeing the accuracy.  So essentially they could be leading you down a stray path into private properties which can result in trespassing.

The OFSC ITG is sanctioned by the clubs, Club members gps the routes and update. The groomer tracks cross reference these tracks set out by the clubs. 

This is why the ITG and the GPS maps provided by ofsc are the only sanctioned source for organized snowmobiling in Ontario.

41 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The Polaris ride command map is crowd sourced. So anyone can update the map from whichever tracks they have with no governing body overseeing the accuracy.  So essentially they could be leading you down a stray path into private properties which can result in trespassing.

The OFSC ITG is sanctioned by the clubs, Club members gps the routes and update. The groomer tracks cross reference these tracks set out by the clubs. 

This is why the ITG and the GPS maps provided by ofsc are the only sanctioned source for organized snowmobiling in Ontario.

True, but why are some updates 2 seasons behind? The maps are only as accurate as the info being inputted.

32 minutes ago, revrnd said:

True, but why are some updates 2 seasons behind? The maps are only as accurate as the info being inputted.

Clubs know when its needs to be sent in. I would suggest its likely due to not having the tracks available for those critical updates. One thing we need to remember is we need to traverse frozen ground to get our routes. Projects also being incomplete or just not having the right techsavy volunteers availabke that can use a gps unit correctly. 

But, our trails are sanctioned by a governing body, Limited, Available or Closed!

Can the GPS tracks from the groomers not be utilized?

West of Timmins

My GPS track in green from last month (same route as Mar' 18). The red track is a GPS track that someone had posted in the past, very similar to the ITG.

1208651526_C101DEastGPS.JPG.9aabbdad9139e1b1f054475ff2ab366f.JPG

The ITG:

1436175102_C101DEastITG.JPG.e5b5e9276b76f63c2c899d88e171a1cd.JPG

East of Chapleau:

Our route in green:

1810708884_C101DWestUpdatedGPS.JPG.465da851b37ef2b2192214e42334b355.JPG

The ITG today:

2035361956_C101DWestUpdatedITG.JPG.eaa6b72be7107c5dd78779a15a956f65.JPG

52 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Can the GPS tracks from the groomers not be utilized?

West of Timmins

My GPS track in green from last month (same route as Mar' 18). The red track is a GPS track that someone had posted in the past, very similar to the ITG.

1208651526_C101DEastGPS.JPG.9aabbdad9139e1b1f054475ff2ab366f.JPG

The ITG:

1436175102_C101DEastITG.JPG.e5b5e9276b76f63c2c899d88e171a1cd.JPG

East of Chapleau:

Our route in green:

1810708884_C101DWestUpdatedGPS.JPG.465da851b37ef2b2192214e42334b355.JPG

The ITG today:

2035361956_C101DWestUpdatedITG.JPG.eaa6b72be7107c5dd78779a15a956f65.JPG

The problem with relying on the Groomer tracks is that it tracks every movement made for the the machine. Detours due to swamps, low tunnels under highways,  lakes, rivers etc. So we need reliable gps tracks to cross reference, such as you have shown. When I groomed I took my personal gps unit and tracked and waypointed any breaks in the route. Labeled them as required and sent them in. 

As far as club gps discrepancies, you would have to talk to the clubs about that. I bet they would love some gps tracks sent to them, especially in the north so they can validate and send them in for updates....

I see NO reason why this app couldn't be a common map based, (NR Canada top map available free on-line) and using actual groomer tracks for accuracy. 

Make uploading tracks part of the requirements, if someone is procrastinating.

I ride some areas that are literally YEARS behind on the map. In any kind of an emergency, this could be a legal liability.

Someone might have a peek at something like Backcountry Navigator just as an example. 

You download areas you might wish to ride, and have zoom down to whatever level you choose. Saves room on your device. 

I've been using the app, no data on my phone, no need for all the "on-line" info, thanks, and the GPS location is so laggy it's almost not worth using. It can take several minutes to find me when I pull the phone out of my pocket. 

On BCN, I can walk 3 steps, and watch my GPS icon move, so it's NOT my device. Actual GPS tracks would help sledders new to the area find the trails they prefer, be it 2-up friendly routes, or the tight twisty trails people like me seek out, often travelling to new areas to find.

I'd happily pay for an accurate downloadable GPX or similar file that I could load into a functional app like Backcountry Navigator. 

I would be glad to upload ACCURATE files from my device of my local trails if anyone wanted to try such a project.

50 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

I see NO reason why this app couldn't be a common map based, (NR Canada top map available free on-line) and using actual groomer tracks for accuracy. 

Make uploading tracks part of the requirements, if someone is procrastinating.

I ride some areas that are literally YEARS behind on the map. In any kind of an emergency, this could be a legal liability.

Someone might have a peek at something like Backcountry Navigator just as an example. 

You download areas you might wish to ride, and have zoom down to whatever level you choose. Saves room on your device. 

I've been using the app, no data on my phone, no need for all the "on-line" info, thanks, and the GPS location is so laggy it's almost not worth using. It can take several minutes to find me when I pull the phone out of my pocket. 

On BCN, I can walk 3 steps, and watch my GPS icon move, so it's NOT my device. Actual GPS tracks would help sledders new to the area find the trails they prefer, be it 2-up friendly routes, or the tight twisty trails people like me seek out, often travelling to new areas to find.

I'd happily pay for an accurate downloadable GPX or similar file that I could load into a functional app like Backcountry Navigator. 

I would be glad to upload ACCURATE files from my device of my local trails if anyone wanted to try such a project.

I had been helping dweese w/ his mapping project in the past. I don't mind editing tracks & posting them here for others to use (see my post in the tech & GPS forum). Hard to justify spending money on something that isn't all that accurate and/or up to date.

4 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The problem with relying on the Groomer tracks is that it tracks every movement made for the the machine. Detours due to swamps, low tunnels under highways,  lakes, rivers etc. So we need reliable gps tracks to cross reference, such as you have shown. When I groomed I took my personal gps unit and tracked and waypointed any breaks in the route. Labeled them as required and sent them in. 

As far as club gps discrepancies, you would have to talk to the clubs about that. I bet they would love some gps tracks sent to them, especially in the north so they can validate and send them in for updates....

I contacted the OFSC & they replied to contact the districts involved. I have sent the .gpx files of the days involved & screen grabs showing the discrepancies between the ITG & where we rode to D13 & D14. Everything else on the trip was fine.

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

I contacted the OFSC & they replied to contact the districts involved. I have sent the .gpx files of the days involved & screen grabs showing the discrepancies between the ITG & where we rode to D13 & D14. Everything else on the trip was fine.

Funny thing about the discrepancies is they club's don't get paid for grooming the if the tracks are that far off.

Archived