Time to wake up guys....

Turbo Doo

44 minutes ago, zoso said:

riding fast where you do your riding is the same as 02 going 25kmh on a twisty trail, a non challenge and perfectly safe. i think it is the ones on the tight trails he is talking about.

From what ive seen out there, its does not matter where you are, theres always someone who should not be there riding..:rotflmao:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been caught twice this year at stop signs due to the high banks.

Both times I stopped, looked, only to go and see a car or truck coming at me.

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

We have a growing culture of riders who have the NEED to get from A to B as fast as possible and want the bragging rights of how many km's they traveled. To stop at a STOP sign would put those bragging rights in jeopardy. Myslef. I like to see the scenery. My last ride it was nice to stop in the middle of the lake and take in the fact that there weren't any cottages in sight anywhere.... just ice, snow, rocks and trees. Not even a hydro line in the distance.

That sure as heck wudn't be the lake/lakes I'm on-mostly palais royales!

3 hours ago, reevester said:

I watched you with your wife and a group all give each other the wave across 518 one day. That to me is pretty dangerous too. And don't try and tell me it wasn't you becuase you posted on here that day about the ride across the Seguin. May have been last year or the first year you got the 7000s but I damn well know what I seen. 

And we haven't heard the deer and beaver story half a dozen times already. 

LOL....do not hold back, just let it all out!

I know there are rules & regulation regarding stop signage, but there are quite a few that are installed on roads, driveways, etc.... that are never used in the winter or from what I can gather installed years ago but that trail or road or driveway is no longer there.

Another point is that for those that want to keep a faster, healthier pace, but come up on a group that is sight seeing for those beavers, deers, etc....and have no regard for those that are looking to pass, a stop sign or intersection is sometimes there only good chance to get around those groups keeping a slower pace with little regard for others that have a bit of life in them when it comes to riding the trails....albeit not the safest place to try and get around that group, but as a result of some not giving way to those moving faster, some start to do some stupid things that could be costly. 

1 hour ago, stoney said:

I know there are rules & regulation regarding stop signage, but there are quite a few that are installed on roads, driveways, etc.... that are never used in the winter or from what I can gather installed years ago but that trail or road or driveway is no longer there.

Another point is that for those that want to keep a faster, healthier pace, but come up on a group that is sight seeing for those beavers, deers, etc....and have no regard for those that are looking to pass, a stop sign or intersection is sometimes there only good chance to get around those groups keeping a slower pace with little regard for others that have a bit of life in them when it comes to riding the trails....albeit not the safest place to try and get around that group, but as a result of some not giving way to those moving faster, some start to do some stupid things that could be costly. 

I have mirrors on my sled & most of my riding the last few years has been solo. If I see a headlight, I know it's someone who has caught up to me. I'll motion that I know that they're there. As soon as it is safe for them pass, I'll pull over & let them pass.

This is why sleds have mirrors. Please get your money's worth, and check them occasionally.

I hate scaring people into realizing I'm there. 

I FULLY support a "point to pass" protocol, but it only works if people are not thinking they're alone in the world. 

Oops. Posted on top of you, Revrnd...

39 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

This is why sleds have mirrors. Please get your money's worth, and check them occasionally.

I hate scaring people into realizing I'm there. 

I FULLY support a "point to pass" protocol, but it only works if people are not thinking they're alone in the world. 

Oops. Posted on top of you, Revrnd...

what is this point to pass you speak of? Never heard of it.

It's a term from lapping, or gentleman's racing on road courses.

You acknowledge the following driver when you see him, and signal him to pass when you believe it's safe to do so. 

Almost totally prevents passing problems.

It works on race courses, as there's Marshalls who monitor things. 

If you pass in an unsafe manner, you get flagged.

If you fail to acknowledge another overtaking driver, and allow a pass at the next opportunity, you get flagged.

When a lapping night or race HAS no Marshalls people play by the rules, as you all wind up at the same place at the end of the race. 

IMHO, this is thousands of times more important than worthless signalling of numbers of people in your group.

5 hours ago, reevester said:

I watched you with your wife and a group all give each other the wave across 518 one day. That to me is pretty dangerous too. And don't try and tell me it wasn't you becuase you posted on here that day about the ride across the Seguin. May have been last year or the first year you got the 7000s but I damn well know what I seen. 

And we haven't heard the deer and beaver story half a dozen times already. 

You know nothing. Good imagination though 

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I have mirrors on my sled & most of my riding the last few years has been solo. If I see a headlight, I know it's someone who has caught up to me. I'll motion that I know that they're there. As soon as it is safe for them pass, I'll pull over & let them pass.

Same here. I pull over 

34 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Same here. I pull over 

I just hope that when I catch up to others w/ mirrors that they would do the same...

50 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

You know nothing. Good imagination though 

02 u flag a peep thur ...u are liable .....learned that about 15-20yrs ago from a law suit our club was going thru...maybe today with the lawyers today who knows......maybe a dash cam might help...lol

34 minutes ago, Polaris1 said:

But they usually don't.

True, last week irREVerent & I caught up to 2 guys on performance sleds poking along. Both had mirrors, but made no attempt to let us pass. We got to Kearney and they took the lake trail, while we stuck to D123.

Everybody can ride at their own pace,that's fine. We ride at a fast pace and put on miles. Did the big loop 2 weeks ago,1450 miles in 6 days. Had some guys hold me up between Kap and Moonbeam. Wish they would have checked their mirrors. We may have broken the 50 kph law.

I put a horn on my sled.

12 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Yea I never trust someone's wave, and no one I usually sled with does. Caught up to a group a couple weeks ago and the last guy kept waving me across. As if I would trust a random stranger, especially given his half assed check.

I hope I am not misinterpreting this, but when I wave someone over a road it means  'you go across first' after they have checked both ways of course. ?

9 hours ago, stoney said:

have no regard for those that are looking to pass, a stop sign or intersection is sometimes there only good chance to get around those groups keeping a slower pace with little regard for others that have a bit of life in them when it comes to riding the trails....albeit not the safest place to try and get around that group, but as a result of some not giving way to those moving faster, some start to do some stupid things that could be costly. 

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

I have mirrors on mirrors on my machine and will be the first person to let you by, if I know you are coming up from behind. A couple of things that will help you as a 'passer''

mirrors.JPG.f0b73e18ba96f49dccbc60824d1e4aea.JPG

-switch on your high beams - as revrnd says, the first thing I see from a sled from behind is headlights. Some people have caught on to that - flashing them off and on from a distance also gets some attention. Easy to do and works on long wide open trails.

-come up behind the rider you are going to pass and 'keep station' for 5 or 10 seconds- give them the opportunity to know you are there.  Most riders who pass don't slow down and are not seen or acknowledged until the very last minute. The few seconds you use to do this might save startling someone and have their sled bunt yours over an embankment or into a tree.

-be courteous after you pass and have the last person in your group give the 'last sled in line' signal so the passed person knows he/she can get back on normal running after stopping or slowing down. There was one group around Petawawa this season in which every single rider gave a position signal and last sled in line - marveled at their professionalism.

Most people pull over for us, but we just wait until it’s safe to pass or they let us pass. We don’t like to put pressure on the slower riders in front of us. At road crossing, we used to wave each other across the road as it’s clear for us. If we saw a car as we were crossing the road, we would just point in the direction where we saw the car. Everyone in our group knows not to trust the person in front of them at road crossings. Now, most of us in our riding group have communicators so riding is much safer now. 

There is no end to the stories about stupid snowmobilers or whatever you want to call them. Last week while riding a lake trail at a reasonable speed another group caught up with and passed us. The entire lake conditions are perfect and some members of the other group passed us about 200 ft off to the side . Perfect. A couple of them passed us within 3 or 4 ft and cut back in throwing ice and snow on us from being that close.  Yes , I have mirrors but you can't concentrate  on them all the time and even if you do see a sled behind you sometimes you assume it's part of your group when in fact sometimes its others moving up on you.

RW

5 hours ago, slomo said:

hope I am not misinterpreting this, but when I wave someone over a road it means  'you go across first' after they have checked both ways of course. ?

I'm talking about when the sled in front of you crosses then waves you across as if to say it's safe. I've seen countless people just go without checking themselves. Recipe for disaster imho.

6 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I put a horn on my sled.

LOL....awesome idea, a real loud air horn would do the trick!

6 hours ago, slomo said:

I hope I am not misinterpreting this, but when I wave someone over a road it means  'you go across first' after they have checked both ways of course. ?

I have mirrors on mirrors on my machine and will be the first person to let you by, if I know you are coming up from behind. A couple of things that will help you as a 'passer''

mirrors.JPG.f0b73e18ba96f49dccbc60824d1e4aea.JPG

-switch on your high beams - as revrnd says, the first thing I see from a sled from behind is headlights. Some people have caught on to that - flashing them off and on from a distance also gets some attention. Easy to do and works on long wide open trails.

-come up behind the rider you are going to pass and 'keep station' for 5 or 10 seconds- give them the opportunity to know you are there.  Most riders who pass don't slow down and are not seen or acknowledged until the very last minute. The few seconds you use to do this might save startling someone and have their sled bunt yours over an embankment or into a tree.

-be courteous after you pass and have the last person in your group give the 'last sled in line' signal so the passed person knows he/she can get back on normal running after stopping or slowing down. There was one group around Petawawa this season in which every single rider gave a position signal and last sled in line - marveled at their professionalism.

The high beam is a good idea, but will only work on those willing to give some courtesy to others & aware they are not the only group on the trails.

I normally do and did your second point noted above a few times on my last ride, worked on one group (lol), the others, I just waited for a good place to pass, passed and waved back at them with a "thanks".

Only came across one group of two sleds that I let pass me, at a road crossing actually.....then I followed them until we grabbed gas in Kearney, at that they offered if I wanted to ride with them from there, but they were heading in a different direction than me, so continued solo. 

I have never had mirrors on any of my sleds, usually always sported the glove mirror, but I melted the last one I had....need to get me a new one as I used it quite often and miss having it!

The horn was off my Sonata.  I put the horns off my srapped out Alero on the Sonata.  The Sonata horn is not loud enough.  The sled ahead can't hear it over all the "ring dinging"  going on.  I need a freeway blaster.

54 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

The horn was off my Sonata.  I put the horns off my srapped out Alero on the Sonata.  The Sonata horn is not loud enough.  The sled ahead can't hear it over all the "ring dinging"  going on.  I need a freeway blaster.

Talk to SJ....

17 hours ago, Lep said:

02 u flag a peep thur ...u are liable .....learned that about 15-20yrs ago from a law suit our club was going thru...maybe today with the lawyers today who knows......maybe a dash cam might help...lol

I don't flag others through a stop sign or a road crossing contrary to someone's imaginary beliefs. I have seen a few near misses and typically when I come to a road crossing I will stand up to get a better view left and right rather than the limited peripherals you get with the helmet on.

10 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I put a horn on my sled.

Will people actually hear it over the noise from their sled and a helmet on. I keep checking my mirrors. Two reasons... check for the person behind me in the group still there OR somebody wanting to pass.

Archived