Jump to content
IndyIan

What about Wawa?

Recommended Posts

Booked into the Wawa motor Inn for March 21-24. Weather forecast is looking pretty bad for the next couple days with rain followed by cold temps. Looking ahead into next week it's supposed to warm up again, so hoping this will loosen thing up enough but not wash it out.

 

Any suggestions? First time to the area, thinking to try the "boondocking" scene if the trails take a hit from this rain...

Edited by IndyIan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re supposed to head that way on Friday. I’m nervous about what damage the rain on Thursday will do plus how iced over it’s going to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hoosierfusion said:

We’re supposed to head that way on Friday. I’m nervous about what damage the rain on Thursday will do plus how iced over it’s going to be.

Good luck, and keep me updated on how you make out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will do. We're dropping the trailer in Searchmont. We may end up heading towards Timmins instead as it looks like they may get less rain than the Wawa area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

come Saturday or sunday, you will be able to ride offtrail where you want to. fluff will ALL BE GONE, it will be known as hero snow, or superman snow because, people feel like they can ride deep snow because it is dense and set up. 

 

trails will survive BUT, they will be ice, and need some top layer fluff. depending on the traffic tomorrow... will tell how the trails REALLY ARE GOING TO BE.  if people ride and make big bumps, trenches ect… the clubs wont be able to fix them, once the temps drop to single digits like they are calling for Friday night. grooming above freezing usually does more damage than good. best thing that could have been done, is groom everything Monday and Tuesday and close the trails until Friday. but... that would never happen, most would ignore it and still ride. so, we get what we get. 

 

sorry your timing, and time off didn't coincide with the weather that is coming. this is the beginning of the end. sitting in Dubreuilville now plus temps, light rain, mist, calling for heavy rain tonight, tomorrow. Ski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we received LOTS OF RAIN weds night, and ALL DAY, AND HALF OF THURSDAY NIGHT. IT FLASH FROZE THIS AM. the city streets are now icy, and covered with sand and gravel, and just a dusting of snow. the lakes and rivers took a beat down on their snow. clubs will have a hard time fixing the frozen ruts, and bumps now. looking at the long term, this is spring riding, beginning of the end. even with scratchers you will have issues unless we get some fluff, or you wait until next week and ride when the day time temps will soften the snow for hyfax lube, and cooling. this weekend will be brutal.

 

I had good friends cancel this weekend up here with us, so they wouldn't "suffer" through this. 

 

depending on how bad you "need" to ride, what your budget is, how far you have to drive, and how you like to treat your equipment... you need to make your own call. for me, my sleds are here, and sitting in the garage, with no plans for them to come out, unless we get 2-4" of snow (not calling for it here in Dubreuilville). 

 

it poured so heavily the neighbors driveway flooded into our basement. with help from the locals (Big Reg, Dan Guay,) with heavy equipment,  we were able to just have a small clean up in the house. 

 

the base and trails will last but, the clubs will need time to fix this (if they can). for me to make it rideable, without hurting equipment, we need more snow or warmth. 

 

you will have to make your own call. Ski

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

we received LOTS OF RAIN weds night, and ALL DAY, AND HALF OF THURSDAY NIGHT. IT FLASH FROZE THIS AM. the city streets are now icy, and covered with sand and gravel, and just a dusting of snow. the lakes and rivers took a beat down on their snow. clubs will have a hard time fixing the frozen ruts, and bumps now. looking at the long term, this is spring riding, beginning of the end. even with scratchers you will have issues unless we get some fluff, or you wait until next week and ride when the day time temps will soften the snow for hyfax lube, and cooling. this weekend will be brutal.

 

I had good friends cancel this weekend up here with us, so they wouldn't "suffer" through this. 

 

depending on how bad you "need" to ride, what your budget is, how far you have to drive, and how you like to treat your equipment... you need to make your own call. for me, my sleds are here, and sitting in the garage, with no plans for them to come out, unless we get 2-4" of snow (not calling for it here in Dubreuilville). 

 

it poured so heavily the neighbors driveway flooded into our basement. with help from the locals (Big Reg, Dan Guay,) with heavy equipment,  we were able to just have a small clean up in the house. 

 

the base and trails will last but, the clubs will need time to fix this (if they can). for me to make it rideable, without hurting equipment, we need more snow or warmth. 

 

you will have to make your own call. Ski

Glad Eric was up there we decide to stay home and clean up shop...doesn't look fun or good for the machines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We aren't schedules to come up until Thursday, hopefully the warm temps will loosen things up! Would hate to be up there this weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 2 possibilities with the current weather.

 

1 it will firm up and allow you to go anywhere and hopefully not get stuck.

Or

2 it will stay a slushy mess.

 

I'm hoping for #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IndyIan said:

We aren't schedules to come up until Thursday, hopefully the warm temps will loosen things up! Would hate to be up there this weekend

 

I'm riding to Longlac tomorrow with Matt17. Not the least bit worried about conditions. 2-3 inches of fresh powder blowing around with the wind now, -9°C. Gonna be a beautiful ride methinks....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

 

I'm riding to Longlac tomorrow with Matt17. Not the least bit worried about conditions. 2-3 inches of fresh powder blowing around with the wind now, -9°C. Gonna be a beautiful ride methinks....

I am hearing alot of conflicting reports now... Called Jones in wawa and he said they hardly got any rain. Regardless hoping for the best for whoever is there now, as this is probably the last 2 weekends for most! Let me know how it goes!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update from Wawa club..

Screenshot_20190315-194539_Samsung Internet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

moved snow bike to barn, took a look at the trail that runs beside the barn, house in Dub. the trail has held up, no issue there AT ALL. you will encounter water crossing trail, possible puddles, slush, soft spots on the  trails for sure until it freezes up, then frozen, slick spots here and there. town streets are still ice covered with sand, gravel frozen on top (dubreuilville, I cant speak for wawa). we may have received an inch or so in town today, wind is blowing it around. it is better than I thought, and better than what I could see from the house. I would say yellow is a fair assessment of what is on the trail right now. decent conditions with the odd thing to have an eye for, and to slow down a bit. traveling across town on city streets to food, lodging and fuel (depending on each towns snow removal, melt, ect…) will be the worse part of it.  your results may vary, I error to the side of it's worse than it is, rather than say it is awesome, when it isn't. there is riding to be had, you have to decide on your own, whether you want to ride or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We ride from Searchmont to Marathon and back Thursday - Saturday. We were surprised by how good trail conditions are given the rain that was in the forecast. Off trail is crusted over so we mostly rode on. We didn’t go into Wawa, skipped it and filled up in Dubreuilville. I’m glad we went. It’s not perfect but minimal ice issues

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×