First/last trip of the season

T bird

Hi y’all!! Looking for first hand info from those who live where the snow is. Planning my first/last trip of the season March 29th-April 5th. With living in far end of district 5 where we received little to no snow and a total of maybe 5 days of  rideable trails, works commitments and kids I haven’t come close to relieving the itch of riding!!!  I have no problem with driving just want decent conditions. I know to keep an eye on the itg and weather network. Been doing it religiously,  however just looking for honest opinions  from those who have snow and what they think conditions may be like in a few weeks. 

TIA

Difficult to accurately predict conditions so far in advance.

I have a pass from the warden for the weekend of the 23rd and I am starting to get nervous about how far you will have to drive.   Even Cochrane is consistently hovering at or above zero for the next 2 weeks.   There will be lots of snow in the bush but the roads and parking lots will be ugly very quick.  

We are heading up to Cochrane for the weekend of March 22nd early and that may be our end of season.

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

We are heading up to Cochrane for the weekend of March 22nd early and that may be our end of season.

No way you will call it quits that early....if there's snow somewhere I'm convinced you'll find it.

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

We have plans to head to Cochrane thurs Mar 21. Hearst Friday Mar 22. Cochrane Saturday Mar 23. Home Sunday Mar 24. Fingers crossed. Im getting nervous looking at weather...

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

There is a good chance I will see you there. 

My plan was to be in Cochrane mid afternoon on Friday, go for a quick spin to Timmins or somewhere for dinner.   Head to Hearst on Sat am,  stay the night in Hearst, head back to Cochrane on Sunday and be on the road early Monday am.   

Or possibly head to Amos, QC.   Its the same drive to either place for me.   

22 minutes ago, scottyr said:

My plan was to be in Cochrane mid afternoon on Friday, go for a quick spin to Timmins or somewhere for dinner.   Head to Hearst on Sat am,  stay the night in Hearst, head back to Cochrane on Sunday and be on the road early Monday am.   

Sounds good, that is our plan as well, leave early and be up there for noon, We will be at the Westway, stop by for a beverage you wont miss my sled.. if you want someone to ride with let me know there will be a few of us up there that weekend.

29 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

No way you will call it quits that early....if there's snow somewhere I'm convinced you'll find it.

lol, you are likely very correct 02

40 minutes ago, scottyr said:

If your plan is to ride to Hearst, may I suggest getting rooms. I took the last 2 at the Companion Inn for Friday march 22. Hockey tournament teams booked solid. Queens next door was getting low on rooms also..

32 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

If your plan is to ride to Hearst, may I suggest getting rooms. I took the last 2 at the Companion Inn for Friday march 22. Hockey tournament teams booked solid. Queens next door was getting low on rooms also..

Thanks for the heads up.   We dont really need to go to Hearst.   I just like the trails west of Kap. 

Same here.   I will make a decision next Wed but it doesnt look promising.  I am not going to drive 10 hrs to ride in the rain.   If it looks like it will cool down the following week I will wait until the 30th weekend.   

I hate to say it but the fat lady is definitely warming up...... :(

We’re planning on riding Mattawa 21, 22, 23 & possibly the 24th. I’m hoping the trails hold up. If not, oh well. I’ll start on all the maintenance and be ready for next season..should be able to ride naked underneath our suits!E2ACCEE6-9B4A-4928-A898-9A20FF5DE253.thumb.png.599dfdd2bc60239dac398959eeea56e2.png

Was really hoping to get up to Cochrane once more, was thinking heading up March 29 and coming home April 2 or something, but it all depends on the weather and if my riding buddy doesn't bail. 

7 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

If the forecast stays the way it is showing now, we will most likely stay home, and cancel...

Going up anyways and if the long term forecast after that looks pooched I’ll drop the sleds at the dealer and leave em

there, lol.. plus I know you really want to try the 850 Indy. 

4 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Forecast is looking up. 

Screenshot_20190313-090405_Weather Network.jpg

woot woot woot!!!

Well thats starting to look better.    I guess I should call the Westway and book a room for Friday and Saturday nights.

Are you guys still going?    My buddy bailed on me today.   My wife wants to see my kids at Nippissing U this weekend.    I am thinking I might drop her off Friday am in North Bay and just drive up to Cochrane by myself.   I can ride Friday aft, all day Sat and Sun and start heading home Sunday night.  

Archived