TOP A Hearst to Greenstone

Claire Voyant

Ride it while you can.....two days of plus temps and rain coming. 

I'm in awe of all that went into making this happen. 

Screenshot (68).png

Looks like theyre ditchbanging near Peanut Creek. The year we rode thru there to Geraldton, we had to backtrack & run the shoulder for a couple of miles to get around the 'crossing'.

If the trail is groomed, can a 4 stroke make it from Hearst to Longlac w/o carrying extra gas? We topped up in Calstock & then filled up @ Klotz Lake (gas there @ the time).

It is 240 km gas station to gas station filling in Hearst and Longlac from what I have been told.  I know of 2 900 ace sleds that did the trip last year and were ok on fuel.  Funny enough based on what I was told they actually used more fuel on the Eco setting than standard.  Based on my calculations I would be ok making it on my 600 Etec Summit if I stayed on the trail the whole way.  Would bring extra gas for some play time.  

Depending on how this weeks weather goes I may try riding it with Denis on the weekend, was a great trip when we did it last year.  Lots of snow so trails will survive the rain.  I just need enough snow to fall after.  Paddle tracks and icy trails don't get along well.  

Matt I expected playtime could use up your gas LOL

I think reLeaf went 260 klicks from Timmins to Gowganda before filling up his 900. Obviously higher speeds in spots & more rugged terrain there than along Hwy 11.

Last season on my 2nd run the trails were hard.  I made it from Hornepayne to Longlac without using any extra gas in my Cat with the new 800cc motor.  Paige had the old Suzuki 800cc and it needed an extra couple gallons of gas put in.  We were with two BRP 850's which both got within 20 miles of Longlac before one stopped and they split a spare can of fuel.  To be fare my tank is a big one at 12 gallons.  The 4-strokes I rode with on our 1st run to Longlac last season all needed extra fuel on the way back to Hornepayne, but we had topped off in Calstock on the way there so the ZR-7000 (a 10 gallon tank) did make it from Calstock to Longlac without extra fuel added, but was on fumes.

I would not make that trip without a couple extra gallons on board with any sled out there for safety sake.  Easy to get playing and use up too much.  The Ace 600 4-stroke, I am sure can do it, but take a little extra anyway.  It is about 270 kilometers from Longlac to Hornepayne.   Pushing 6" of snow, I would have to add a couple gallons to my XF-8000.

13 hours ago, matt17 said:

It is 240 km gas station to gas station filling in Hearst and Longlac from what I have been told.  I know of 2 900 ace sleds that did the trip last year and were ok on fuel.  Funny enough based on what I was told they actually used more fuel on the Eco setting than standard.  Based on my calculations I would be ok making it on my 600 Etec Summit if I stayed on the trail the whole way.  Would bring extra gas for some play time.  

Depending on how this weeks weather goes I may try riding it with Denis on the weekend, was a great trip when we did it last year.  Lots of snow so trails will survive the rain.  I just need enough snow to fall after.  Paddle tracks and icy trails don't get along well.  

Using our GPS track from '09, you're correct on the distance being 240 klicks.

reLeaf went 267 klicks (Timmins to Gowganda) & took 38 L to fill.

Archived