Trail Map Issues

Puggz

It seems like each and every trip I go on if find inaccuracies with the trail map on my GPS.  The latest was on the 601 this weekend. At first I thought that my Trakmaps wasn't up to date but I've updated it 2x in the last month.  Next I checked the online map and in this case, I found the same issue.

Is it just me or is this a common problem? You figure with electronic maps (opposed to printed), they should be up to date.  

16 minutes ago, Puggz said:

It seems like each and every trip I go on if find inaccuracies with the trail map on my GPS.  The latest was on the 601 this weekend. At first I thought that my Trakmaps wasn't up to date but I've updated it 2x in the last month.  Next I checked the online map and in this case, I found the same issue.

Is it just me or is this a common problem? You figure with electronic maps (opposed to printed), they should be up to date.  

What "inaccuracy" did you encounter?

42 minutes ago, Puggz said:

It isn't just you. Lat winter Sledjunk & I noticed that the 'trail' C101D varied in a couple of places between Timmins & Foleyet when compared to the 'GPS trail'. This winter during our Great Big Loop trip we noticed those variations hadn't been corrected. Plus there was a couple of LARGE variations between Foleyet & Chapleau.

I noticed an oddity or two on our trip this weekend. small things like the one trail appears it crosses the top end of a lake, instead the trail runs parallel then turns off into the bush. A bit unnerving when in a new area and expecting to cross a bay but then the trail turns in a different direction! 

I will say though, our first stop the itg said it was 118km and we were within a km or two of that number when we stopped.

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

Puggz are you talking about Paudash Trail Blazers 601 Miskanabi trail ?  If so there's a re route due to logging this season using the 604, ran it last week but didn't notice if they changed the signage on the 604 to 601 or not, was going up it via the 604 anyways.  

In this case, I was on the 601 going south from the E trail, east of Haliburton. We were making our way down to the E108 where we parked.  There is a tight hair-pin turn on 601 at the start of 603 which is a dead end trail where the map shows the intersection. This was incorrect.  We back tracked about a km and found an intersection that wasn't on my map and viola, it was the new trail.

Not that I mind a little adventure, but after you've been riding for many hours you may not have the time or fuel to backtrack and find your way I think they should be more diligent on keeping the maps up to date.  Especially the trails that get groomed!

And as I mentioned before, I've come across this several times this season. Ive seen it around Sudbury and on a trail just north of Baysville also come to mind.

2 hours ago, Nutter said:

Puggz are you talking about Paudash Trail Blazers 601 Miskanabi trail ?  If so there's a re route due to logging this season using the 604, ran it last week but didn't notice if they changed the signage on the 604 to 601 or not, was going up it via the 604 anyways.  

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

In this case, I was on the 601 going south from the E trail, east of Haliburton. We were making our way down to the E108 where we parked.  There is a tight hair-pin turn on 601 at the start of 603 which is a dead end trail where the map shows the intersection. This was incorrect.  We back tracked about a km and found an intersection that wasn't on my map and viola, it was the new trail.

Not that I mind a little adventure, but after you've been riding for many hours you may not have the time or fuel to backtrack and find your way I think they should be more diligent on keeping the maps up to date.  Especially the trails that get groomed!

And as I mentioned before, I've come across this several times this season. Ive seen it around Sudbury and on a trail just north of Baysville also come to mind.

Apparently the club has sent in a couple of other updates earlier in the season & are waiting for them to 'appear' on the ITG.

Another issue I have found is that sometimes the trails are not joined on the ITG. The one I encountered recently is up at Hearst. I want to leave Hearst on the A trail and do the loop up around Fushimi Lake, but it doesn't appear that trail 163 is continuous on the ITG.  I am only using it for trail planning, but it is a nuisance.

https://trails.evouala.com/ofsc/?bbox=-9393454.229446346%2C6380729.485904283%2C-9304481.5285224%2C6438745.1903727325&dg=363%2Cstatus%2Cpoi%2Cshields&ow_osrm=m`inH`zw}Nigb%40drSblXzaaAService Trail-83.7911%2C 49.8755A

Archived