Danger 4 stroke torque andlight throttle pulls

cornbinder

Another accident with skidoos sensitive throttles this time involving air ambulance.  

A slow speed turning accident with a 900 ace  sent a women to hospital with serious injuries.    The 600 and. 900 ace  are wonderful  quite engine but unless engine is set to eco  mode  they can cause a loss of control due to torque of the 4 stroke.       Don't. Operate with muff  on throttle and use eco mode for inexperienced drivers, or in tight  quarters.      These machines do not. Appear to be dangerous at first and a good choice for beginners but theirunstoppable bottom  end makes them dangerous probably why skidoo installed eco mode on new ones.       Third incident this year in our area. In volving muffs or just these touchythrottle

Sorry to hear about the accidents. Mrs Iq turbo has a 2018 Blizzard 900 ace, and has no issues. Muffs, no muffs,  cruising,  keeping up with her 850 hubby etc...:evil2:. Not being mean, but im thinking operator error. Kinda like smoking, then blaming the cigarette for death. Or drinking and driving and blaming the alcohol...

Edited by IQ TURBO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

x2

56 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Sorry to hear about the accidents. Mrs Iq turbo has a 2018 Blizzard 900 ace, and has no issues. Muffs, no muffs,  cruising,  keeping up with her 850 hubby etc...:evil2:. Not being mean, but im thinking operator error. Kinda like smoking, then blaming the cigarette for death. Or drinking and driving and blaming the alcohol...

X 3.  I'm also sorry to hear about these incidents, but more than likely operator error involved, perhaps due to inexperience with the machine, and likely compounded by the use of muffs (perhaps incorrectly installed?). Similar to Mrs. IQ Turbo, I ride a 900 Blizzard, almost always in "Sport" mode (most responsive throttle) and have never had an issue with or without muffs on. Mrs. irREVerent also has same machine... again, she's had no issues. The only time I ever use the "Eco" mode is when loading onto (or unloading off) trailer.

Edited by irREVerent
  • Like 1

I have a 1200 that i use muffs on and never had a problem ,eco is great for loading on trailer,nice and slow and also doesnt burn belt .Tons of torque and nice light throttle pull.I hate to see people having accidents but wouldnt blame the throttle.

1 hour ago, irREVerent said:

X 3.  I'm also sorry to hear about these incidents, but more than likely operator error involved, perhaps due to inexperience with the machine, and likely compounded by the use of muffs (perhaps incorrectly installed?). Similar to Mrs. IQ Turbo, I ride a 900 Blizzard, almost always in "Sport" mode (most responsive throttle) and have never had an issue with or without muffs on. Mrs. irREVerent also has same machine... again, she's had no issues. The only time I ever use the "Eco" mode is when loading onto (or unloading off) trailer.

Mrs Iq turbos sled is PERMANENTLY on sport mode.. im even getting the maybe i should deal it in on a turbo comment..:evil2:

Edited by IQ TURBO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

What everyone else said. I ride my 900 ACE with old muffs and old hands that have been operated on twice each. I use all three modes in different circumstances, and ride at a brisk pace. Haven't had the throttle errors with the 900 that I used to with 2 strokes. The more I ride this sled, the more I realize that 70% of trail sledders could enjoy riding a 900 ACE powered machine. 

That really makes it hard to accept Ski Doo's ridiculous limitation of models and track lengths that offer this powertrain. I was set to spring order a new one, but the colours and model availability are a sad joke. Wake up Ski Doo! Guess I will see how long these engines last. 13K and rising!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tricky said:

That really makes it hard to accept Ski Doo's ridiculous limitation of models and track lengths that offer this powertrain. I was set to spring order a new one, but the colours and model availability are a sad joke. Wake up Ski Doo! Guess I will see how long these engines last. 13K and rising!

X2 on this. I had my '07 REV MXZ for 11 seasons & over 17,000 miles.

I don't want a 137 incher, sunburst yellow & teal graphics nor do I like the 4S 'plastics'.

That being said I use all 3 modes. ECO for loading & unloading. On the trail both Standard & Sport. No problems with the throttle w/ or w/o the muffs on. I wear much thinner gloves than usual when the muffs are on.

20190310_194013.thumb.jpg.6694d3a774339ad06bbc92218af190c0.jpg

I think bulky gloves inside the muffs might cause loss of dexterity. Also the throttle placement is slightly different than previous sleds that I've had. Took me about half a day to adjust to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

Not to be too much of a ass here, but you guys think the 900 ace throttle is something, Please try my 850 out..:poke2::ehh::icon_dance-cpatch::right_on:

IQ, Is the 850 a "drive by wire" type, or does it have resistance to it?

I wonder if this concern was caused by the throttle being in the flipped "finger" mode, and muffs pushed on it when turning??

8 minutes ago, Crow said:

IQ, Is the 850 a "drive by wire" type, or does it have resistance to it?

I wonder if this concern was caused by the throttle being in the flipped "finger" mode, and muffs pushed on it when turning??

The 850 is not drive by wire,  only the Doo 4 strokes are. Typical cable style... Mrs Iq turbo does not like riding with the the throttle in the finger position on her 900 ace. Just her preference.  

My comment about the 850 throttle, is more about how rev(rpm) happy the motor is. Kinda like a light switch..8-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

The 850 is not drive by wire,  only the Doo 4 strokes are. Typical cable style... Mrs Iq turbo does not like riding with the the throttle in the finger position on her 900 ace. Just her preference.  

My comment about the 850 throttle, is more about how rev(rpm) happy the motor is. Kinda like a light switch..8-)

BTDT

(may have told this before?)

When I bought my 2002 800 Summit with hydro brakes, I was used to a 580 with mechanical calipers on my Grand Touring.

After unloading I was kneeling or standing on it (not a sit-down rider typically) and grabbed some gas to go, and the sled went out from under me. 

Quick grabbed some brake - only to be over the bars checking the headlight fluid!

Quick grabbed some gas to git the sled back under me, and again - it's gitt'n away from me..

Quick grab some brake aggin - and I'm double checkin' the headlight fluid aggin...

Finally - this dog and pony show came to a halt. I never lost the machine. When I collected myself,  I looked around to see if there were any witnesses.

Nope! Never happened! 

LOL!

The motor/clutch was way more responsive, and that brake! OH MY!

It's OK to tell 15 yrs later. :D

This new 850 is a similar experience.

No dog and pony show this time, but I tried to set the track up the hill a cpl of times and the track just grabbed and the motor jerked the machine right out from under me!

I already had a 2.25" lug on the same size track, but this thing is night and day different!

Gunna need 4' of sugar to set that track around here!

So - I can understand what a beginner is dealing with even on the 600's!

I wish the 850 had a more progressive throttle for sure!

• Haha 1

This deal with people blaming the muffs or throttle response for accidents is pure crap. If you don't have total control of your machine AT ALL TIMES, then stay home.

Tether cords, park brakes and kill switches are there for a reason. USE THEM, your life may depend on them. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

This deal with people blaming the muffs or throttle response for accidents is pure crap. If you don't have total control of your machine AT ALL TIMES, then stay home.

Tether cords, park brakes and kill switches are there for a reason. USE THEM, your life may depend on them. 

Had the gas tank replaced under recall on my cat. pick it up, start, turn bars, throttle cable pulls open throttle and sled jets 30 feet before i could use the kill switch. never came off so tether would not have helped, had a brick wall been 25 feet in front of me i would have been part of it with NO helmet on. this is not supposed to happen, but being I was giving it a little throttle that safety switch was not in play. these sleds have a know issue for doing this when the bars are cranked, and I had my cable repositioned so it never does it, BUT forgot the guy that had it apart would not do the same. Damn cat techs, should have had a doo tech doo the recall.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Yup..:crazy:

9 hours ago, zoso said:

Had the gas tank replaced under recall on my cat. pick it up, start, turn bars, throttle cable pulls open throttle and sled jets 30 feet before i could use the kill switch. never came off so tether would not have helped, had a brick wall been 25 feet in front of me i would have been part of it with NO helmet on. this is not supposed to happen, but being I was giving it a little throttle that safety switch was not in play. these sleds have a know issue for doing this when the bars are cranked, and I had my cable repositioned so it never does it, BUT forgot the guy that had it apart would not do the same. Damn cat techs, should have had a doo tech doo the recall.

In your case I can see where an unexpected throttle opening could happen, stuff does happen.  Someone at some point might have thought to crank the steering both ways and check throttle freeplay and throttle return when pressed, before returning the sled to the owner. (I do this regularly when working on anything that might remotely affect the throttle cable or throttle body).  I check the throttle returns properly on my sled on Every ride, EVERY TIME.  Stuff happens.

Off trail sleds get a lot more snow into the engine bay, which often causes the throttle to stick momentarily.  We had one with a 600 Backcountry last year that they rode deep snow all day, parked the sleds, then started it the next day.  The BS story was, the girl was sitting on the machine, started the sled, it idled for several seconds, then took off WOT across the lake and stopped at the treeline, bending a couple of A-arms.  Total crap, because it can't open by itself, and if it was started with the throttle frozen open, an e-tec will only idle, until the throttle returns to zero then is re-applied.  Being that it's a mechanically operated throttle body, and not a Throttle-by-wire, we knew it was total crap.  Should have seen the mountains of ice everywhere in that sled, including the airbox .... I took pics to cover our asses if they came at us with a law suit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Denis007 said:

OK, now how doo you propose that any of those are life saving items?

Maybe MACHINE saving items. 

Maybe other property saving items.

But life?

I can't think of many scenarios that any of them will have much effect on the opperator.

???

3 hours ago, Ox said:

OK, now how doo you propose that any of those are life saving items?

Maybe MACHINE saving items. 

Maybe other property saving items.

But life?

I can't think of many scenarios that any of them will have much effect on the opperator.

???

Kill switch? 

Tether cord ?  Sled shuts off after a mishap rather than buggering off down the lake or trail most likely rideable instead of broken... you get up and ride on instead of freezing in the bush because the sled is unrideable. 

Life saving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay ....

LOL!

• 2 years later...

Are we advertising for a law firm?. Sounds like a class action to me. :icon_munching:. As stated before,  I am thinking it's due to alot of operator error, then anything in regards to people having issues with the 4 stroke Doo throttle. 

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Confused 1

On 6/28/2021 at 4:16 PM, Al snow said:

For anyone with four stroke skidoo between 2014 up to 2018 that had sled speed  crashes, please contact me. It just maybe in computer. Ag.stoneyridge@gmail.com 

wowsie. Funny never had an issue with mine. It is a 2017 900 ace. Only issue I had was the opposite loss of power and poor fuel economy. Turned out to be a faulty engine coil, covered under warranty. After that nothing. 

Edited by Strong Farmer