Tek vest

Poo Man

11 hours ago, zoso said:

tether and inflates if you are ejected, or if the sled sinks and you don't. Acts as a life jacket as well

It's a pretty cool concept, but it won't help you if you go into the handlebars

I bought a tekvest last year and love it.  Bought it for two reasons.  One for the safety and the other to help keep me warm on colder days.  The sizing from tekvest is a tad on the bigger size.  If you go onto sledcore mulisha on facecreep, they have group buys every once in a while to save you money.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Tekvests would have been a good idea on Saturday!

Police investigate head-on snowmobile crash in Grey County

Snowmobile Crash

Police investigate a head-on snowmobile crash near Singhampton on Saturday, March 9, 2019 (Courtesy/Michael Deiters)

facebook-icon.png  
  twitter-icon.png  
  google-icon.png  
  reddit-icon.png  
  share-icon.png  
  print-icon.png  
  email-icon.png  

CTV Barrie 
Published Sunday, March 10, 2019 7:12PM EDT 
Last Updated Sunday, March 10, 2019 7:22PM EDT

Debris still litters the trail; a day after two men were taken to hospital with serious injuries following a head-on collision involving three snowmobiles in Grey County. 

Grey County Ontario Provincial Police Officers responded to the crash at a trail near Singhampton around 10:40 a.m. on Saturday.

A 31-year-old man and a 58-year-old man were both taken to hospital with serious injuries. 

Pete Oosterhoff, a nearby resident, says he didn't see the crash, but he did watch police investigate.

“There was two skidoos on top of each other, and about a hundred metres away there was another one that was completely damaged as well, missing a ski and the engine and all that was exposed.” 

The crash has many people in the area questioning how it happened, given the open field where the collision occurred.

“Really bad crash for an area that is wide open. I'm an avid snowmobiler as well, and you're always worried about the tight corners,” said Ooosterhoff, “but in an open stretch like here, I just don't know how it happened.” 

Kevin Hagen, Manager of Mid-Ontario Snowmobile Trails, told CTV News he’s surprised a collision of this magnitude occurred because weather and trail conditions were not a factor.

“It was a bright clear day,” said Kevin Hagen. “I believe the sun was shining and the trail was in very good condition at the time of the incident. It's a bit puzzling.” 

Grey County OPP didn’t provide any more details to the cause of yesterday’s crash.

The OPP along with the Technical Traffic Collision Investigators continue to investigate the crash and are asking anyone with information to contact police

Like the article says... how do you have a head on in a wide open field....

Mind you there are lots of crazy people out there. Saturday on trail 12 leaving the Swift Rapids lock I was very fortunate not to get hit by the 4 oncoming sleds that were on my side of the trail which is full of twists and turns through the bush. They were going too fast to stay on their side of the trail. Fortunately I was able to see them coming and stopped ahead of the bend when they were on the wrong side.

16 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Like the article says... how do you have a head on in a wide open field....

Mind you there are lots of crazy people out there. Saturday on trail 12 leaving the Swift Rapids lock I was very fortunate not to get hit by the 4 oncoming sleds that were on my side of the trail which is full of twists and turns through the bush. They were going too fast to stay on their side of the trail. Fortunately I was able to see them coming and stopped ahead of the bend when they were on the wrong side.

Very very common, I have been guilty as well at times usually during the week when traffic is low.

If anybody has followed me you will have seen me go very slow around corners when the sight line is bad.

Many times I have just stopped for oncoming sleds.

It's kinda fun to see the reaction of the riders when they see me.

12 hours ago, zoso said:

That is what I kike about the air bag vest, it has a tether and inflates if you are ejected, or if the sled sinks and you don't. Acts as a life jacket as well. best of both worlds, safety for a come off, safety for a swim, and it is high vis as well. less money than a tech vest and weighs nothing worn outside jacket.

Not seeing how the blow up doll will help as you try to go through the ape hangers?

It wouldn't be activated yet, and even if - the hangers could rip it if they are bent much? (to the point of cracking/breaking)

May help take a bit of the edge off as you go through the sapplings, but not sure that it would help a whole lot to save a broken back should you decide to disembark the trail into a full size maple tree?

In the case of a bike - you are mostly concerned with road rash, but on the snow - that issue really doesn't play a roll. You have WAY more clothes on and the snow is softer, slipperier, and non-abbrassive. It is the bars that are dangerous mostly, and then possibly trees.

I just don't see the blow-up doll helping all that much in either case. 

The plastic chest protector (Tek-vest being a brand name I think) is ready to doo business with the bars at any time.

As for the wreck - it does say that it was a "briiiiiight - sun-shiney day..." (yet someone couldn't see clearly?)

I was once running point and headed for White River and was completely blinded by the sun as we were riding uphill as we came outta the bush and towards the sun. Couldn't hardly look away and still see where to go. Probably came out of there at 10 klicks (even stop and go I think) as we just could not see. 

Yeah ... I doo recall stopping at least once if not more. I couldn't hardly see the trail, and if there was any oncoming traffic - I would have never seen them. (Not that anyone ever ran that trail anyhow)

Could this have happened to two opperators?

And maybe the one guy coming from the other way expected that they would quit "playing chicken" at some point?

Been wearing a BCA mtn Pro vest this year. Don't even notice it on, feel naked without

3 hours ago, Ox said:

Not seeing how the blow up doll will help as you try to go through the ape hangers?

It wouldn't be activated yet, and even if - the hangers could rip it if they are bent much? (to the point of cracking/breaking)

May help take a bit of the edge off as you go through the sapplings, but not sure that it would help a whole lot to save a broken back should you decide to disembark the trail into a full size maple tree?

In the case of a bike - you are mostly concerned with road rash, but on the snow - that issue really doesn't play a roll. You have WAY more clothes on and the snow is softer, slipperier, and non-abbrassive. It is the bars that are dangerous mostly, and then possibly trees.

The plastic chest protector (Tek-vest being a brand name I think) is ready to doo business with the bars at any time.

As for the wreck - it does say that it was a "briiiiiight - sun-shiney day..." (yet someone couldn't see clearly?)

I was once running point and headed for White River and was completely blinded by the sun as we were riding uphill as we came outta the bush and towards the sun. Couldn't hardly look away and still see where to go. Probably came out of there at 10 klicks (even stop and go I think) as we just could not see. 

Yeah ... I doo recall stopping at least once if not more. I couldn't hardly see the trail, and if there was any oncoming traffic - I would have never seen them. (Not that anyone ever ran that trail anyhow)

And maybe the one guy coming from the other way expected that they would quit "playing chicken" at some point?

Would the moderators kindly remind me how I ignore an individual?  Never mind

I figured it out....

5 hours ago, Ox said:

I do not have ape hangers on my sled, and they would not really be a problem if i hit a tree. You could actually wear both if you really cared, i wear nothing but my shell and layers. the airbag vest would save you if you went through the ice, which is far more likely to happen to me then going over the bars. Still I am not buying either. If I have not needed one in the hundreds of thousands of km's i have ridden, then I doubt I will be needing one in the future. I ride slower with every passing year.

22 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Plus they help you float if you ever get into water 

I did not know that. Not the same as a floater suit I’m sure but nice to know. 

Hitting handle bars is still gonna hurt like a SOB at any speed with a tek vest even but it will prevent internal damage and possible spearing of small cut trees trail side of you were to fall off even at slow speeds. Save broken collar bones or ribs. Might not save you on a head on like that crash but it will increase your chances tremendously just like a helmet. The body can only endure so much. 

The Air bag vests we were testing them out in the US a few years ago, before they got big up here. 

They do a great job of protecting an individual from further injury, but the vest does not stay inflated as one said to help you "float".

When it fires off, it remains inflated and eventually starts to deflate itself and return back to normal per say.

The other thing is with all your gear on, and still attached to the sled to get gas or lunch and you walk away tethered still, BOOM the system will fire off.

The replacement cartridges are around $30-$40 per one..

What makes that cartridge so much more expensive than say one for a pellet gun?

This one looks larger, but I can't hardly imagine that a pellet gun cartridge wouldn't fill that little vest up a cpl of times?

No?

I forgot about the auto-deflate aspect.

38 minutes ago, infernobuster said:

The Air bag vests we were testing them out in the US a few years ago, before they got big up here. 

They do a great job of protecting an individual from further injury, but the vest does not stay inflated as one said to help you "float".

When it fires off, it remains inflated and eventually starts to deflate itself and return back to normal per say.

The other thing is with all your gear on, and still attached to the sled to get gas or lunch and you walk away tethered still, BOOM the system will fire off.

The replacement cartridges are around $30-$40 per one..

Then it is not something I would consider, i thought it would keep you afloat, if not then a tek vest is better. You can get the equine tek vests that jockeys wear for 100 bucks, I would assume they are just as good but not marketed to people that will spend 18k on a toy that gets 50 hours of use per year.

I have the 'SuperSport' model of TekVest and love it.  Has saved me at least a couple of times from serious injury.  The only negative I have experienced is it is very difficult to get back up if laying in deep snow.  The TekVest does not allow your core to bend, by design.

3 hours ago, zoso said:

Then it is not something I would consider, i thought it would keep you afloat, if not then a tek vest is better. You can get the equine tek vests that jockeys wear for 100 bucks, I would assume they are just as good but not marketed to people that will spend 18k on a toy that gets 50 hours of use per year.

Even on a bike I would think that vest is a bad idea. In the event of going down on a bike you want to slide and avoid the bounce and roll ( rag doll ) scenario. You’re gonna get hurt one way or another but once you’re air borne it’s something new. That vest would catch instantly and cause the chain reaction. No thanks. 

3 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Even on a bike I would think that vest is a bad idea. In the event of going down on a bike you want to slide and avoid the bounce and roll ( rag doll ) scenario. You’re gonna get hurt one way or another but once you’re air borne it’s something new. That vest would catch instantly and cause the chain reaction. No thanks. 

Suprisingly it does a great job of preventing major injuries for a rider on a motorcycle. 

The vest first came out for equestrian riders, where the bike market picked it up and seems to be spreading into different markets slowly.

I dont know about the "bouncy" part you are thinking about. You certainly are the Michelin man with it on. 

4 hours ago, Ox said:

What makes that cartridge so much more expensive than say one for a pellet gun?

This one looks larger, but I can't hardly imagine that a pellet gun cartridge wouldn't fill that little vest up a cpl of times?

No?

I forgot about the auto-deflate aspect.

No the Cartridge is much bigger than a normal C02 cartridge from a pellet gun or such. 

And the holster that you screw the cartridge into wont accept such a small cartridge either.

The avi vests blow up a  LOT larger than this, but I guess they don't have any pressure, just volume, where this thing would (and looks to have) quite a bit of pressure, also key reasoning why it releases the air right away too - so's not to suffocate the wearer.

My daughter and myself wear TEC Vest. I agree with the fellow posters that it is comfortable and warm. They are a bit bulky feeling at first but once you wear it a few times you do not notice it at all. I had open heart surgery and feel more comfortable with some chest protection should I need it. Bottom line it is really a piece of safety equipment that I would rather have on than not. While they are expensive, the cost out weighs the features of the vest. The last thing I want to be saying is "I wish I had one of those TEC Vests on".

Archived