OPP checking that helmet strap ?

Muskoka Bill

2 hours ago, Ox said:

Yeah, well If someone gits all busted up like that here, it will still  be the Feds picking up the tab eventually.

I don't think that the $ arguement holds water in the end.

A chum of mine is a smoker. I mentioned the same med bills arguement to him years ago. His rebuttle is that anyones end-of-life expenses can be high.

If you really consider the costs on either case, someone dieing of xxx earlier on could be cheaper. That person paid into Social Security for many years, but doesn't draw off of them for yyy years like they could otherwise. I am not up to speed on your forced retirements savings, but I'm guessing that you have similar?

That person may have big med bills earlier on, but how much does the next person use - just later on?

Point is that while the costs of the incapacitated person is in your face, the dead one is forgotten about, and not likely figured into any cost analasis equation.

And while the safety law could save someone from a bad injury, it could just as easilly leave them incapacitated in stead of dead. 

If you want to stay safe, I recommend that you quit playing hockey and start watching curling on TV from the safety of your couch, within short distance of a major hospital..

Smoking here at $100 a carton you are paying for the health issues up front. I want to stay as safe as I can be while enjoying what i like to do. Trees do not move. where I ride there are plenty of them. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Ox said:

I doubt that I've buckled mine in a cpl of decades.

Mine fits nice and tight. It doesn't come off easily, and I've been over the bars every which way you can. 

Not once that I can recall has it ever came loose.

Also - I don't wear a helmet for safety at all.

It's warm, it's dry, and if I have to, I can put the visor down to keep the snow out.

I have one riding \chum out west that may possibly not even own a helmet?

He wears an old WWII bomber pilot type thingy...

I don't know about y'all, but I ride in the snow (and seldom ever over 50 klicks, and hopefully a lot slower if the terrain allows!) not on a paved or rocky surface.

I think requiring a helmet is BS - just like seat belts.

It is a personal issue and has not bearing what so ever on anyone else.

That is simply intrusion on personal choices by those that think that they are saving the world.

BITE ME!

In the summer - I wear a helmet on the ATV (not that I've rode one in the last 15 yrs...) for protection and hope to on an enduro some day soon.

If you have a full face helmet that wants to fall off - then it is too loose. (IMO)

But if you want to wear one that is 4 sizes too big, that should be your business and not mine. 

Or AT LEAST it shouldn't be anyone's business legally speaking!

A fella in Wawa that was riding a Tundra to git to a fishing hole a cpl weeks ago got stopped by the OPP for not wearing a helmet.

I seen him roll in that night and I asked him what fer helmet that he had on? Some sorta Harley thing?

He said that the OPP followed him down to the store to make sure that he bought one, and his choices were $30 and $100.

He took the $30 one and the G man was appeased.

I wonder if it was a bicycle helmet?

I will guarantee you that mine - not done up - will protect me MUCH better than his will when all strapped up!

Just makes me sick - everyone poking their bloody nose in places that it has no business!

Seeing from your profile you are from the States, maybe if you choose not to do your strap up intentionally, you should STAY in the states, and not ride our trails.  We have enough of a hard time on our trails to try to educate people (No cans, stay on the trail, don't drink and ride, etc..).   Not doing your strap up seems like a pretty lazy thing to not do..  sure we have all forgotten to do them up here and there, but to intentionally not do it up all the time seems pretty stupid really......

We do not need our health care system burdened any more than it is now,  by helping  people who choose not to wear safety gear PROPERLY.  I have personally seen unfastened well fitted helmets fly off.  Just because you have not seen it does not mean it does not happen.

For guys that wear a bigger helmet like myself (5xl) looking for a little extra chin strap length. Add the quick clip from your local Gamma sales dealer. It attaches to your strap and you gain a few inches in length. Easy to install and use. Great for people that struggle getting the strap through the "D" ring. Got mine from Rickwards Polaris. I'am sure Wildbill has them also.

499-0010.jpg

9 hours ago, Ox said:

I doubt that I've buckled mine in a cpl of decades.

Mine fits nice and tight. It doesn't come off easily, and I've been over the bars every which way you can. 

Not once that I can recall has it ever came loose.

Also - I don't wear a helmet for safety at all.

It's warm, it's dry, and if I have to, I can put the visor down to keep the snow out.

I have one riding \chum out west that may possibly not even own a helmet?

He wears an old WWII bomber pilot type thingy...

I don't know about y'all, but I ride in the snow (and seldom ever over 50 klicks, and hopefully a lot slower if the terrain allows!) not on a paved or rocky surface.

I think requiring a helmet is BS - just like seat belts.

It is a personal issue and has not bearing what so ever on anyone else.

That is simply intrusion on personal choices by those that think that they are saving the world.

BITE ME!

In the summer - I wear a helmet on the ATV (not that I've rode one in the last 15 yrs...) for protection and hope to on an enduro some day soon.

If you have a full face helmet that wants to fall off - then it is too loose. (IMO)

But if you want to wear one that is 4 sizes too big, that should be your business and not mine. 

Or AT LEAST it shouldn't be anyone's business legally speaking!

A fella in Wawa that was riding a Tundra to git to a fishing hole a cpl weeks ago got stopped by the OPP for not wearing a helmet.

I seen him roll in that night and I asked him what fer helmet that he had on? Some sorta Harley thing?

He said that the OPP followed him down to the store to make sure that he bought one, and his choices were $30 and $100.

He took the $30 one and the G man was appeased.

I wonder if it was a bicycle helmet?

I will guarantee you that mine - not done up - will protect me MUCH better than his will when all strapped up!

Just makes me sick - everyone poking their bloody nose in places that it has no business!

Sgt. Rock.jpg

As a firefighter I have seen the result of the helmet not being done up. Please just do up the damn helmets they do fly off in a crash everytime the results are tragic and unnecessary 

3 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

As a firefighter I have seen the result of the helmet not being done up. Please just do up the damn helmets they do fly off in a crash everytime the results are tragic and unnecessary 

Ahmen. If your riding with it not done up, maybe you need your head checked out..:rotflmao:..

5 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

A helmet that is not done up is nothing more than a hat.

1 hour ago, snowman said:

Seeing from your profile you are from the States, maybe if you choose not to do your strap up intentionally, you should STAY in the states, and not ride our trails.  We have enough of a hard time on our trails to try to educate people (No cans, stay on the trail, don't drink and ride, etc..).   Not doing your strap up seems like a pretty lazy thing to not do..  sure we have all forgotten to do them up here and there, but to intentionally not do it up all the time seems pretty stupid really......

We do not need our health care system burdened any more than it is now,  by helping  people who choose not to wear safety gear PROPERLY.  I have personally seen unfastened well fitted helmets fly off.  Just because you have not seen it does not mean it does not happen.

not condoning the doing up the helmet thing, just pointing out you are missing what ox is telling you... HE DOES NOT RIDE THE TRAILS, he is offtrail based has been for over 20 years. spends most of his time, where no one else rides, to be in fresh untracked powder, away from high speeds and the impacts you are speaking of. fast for him is 20KPH. 

personally I am an ATGATT person (all the gear, all the time)… on the bikes, (street, dirt, track), and the sleds. I want the best chance I can from having a small off, wrong landing ect…  hurting me a lot more than it should, when I have no protection. on the sled (offtrail rider as well), I wear a helmet, knee/shin guards, upper body protection (tek vest). I have saw all of them save me, a loved one, friend,  riding partner, even strangers, ect… MANY TIMES. 

IN THE END IT IS PERSONAL CHOICE BUT, DONT BITCH AT ME, OR LIFE, IF YOU END UP WORSE OFF THAN YOU ARE TODAY, FOR A POOR CHOICE IN RIDING EQUIPEMENT.  my .02 Ski

9 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

not condoning the doing up the helmet thing, just pointing out you are missing what ox is telling you... HE DOES NOT RIDE THE TRAILS, he is offtrail based has been for over 20 years. spends most of his time, where no one else rides, to be in fresh untracked powder, away from high speeds and the impacts you are speaking of. fast for him is 20KPH. 

personally I am an ATGATT person (all the gear, all the time)… on the bikes, (street, dirt, track), and the sleds. I want the best chance I can from having a small off, wrong landing ect…  hurting me a lot more than it should, when I have no protection. on the sled (offtrail rider as well), I wear a helmet, knee/shin guards, upper body protection (tek vest). I have saw all of them save me, a loved one, friend,  riding partner, even strangers, ect… MANY TIMES. 

IN THE END IT IS PERSONAL CHOICE BUT, DONT BITCH AT ME, OR LIFE, IF YOU END UP WORSE OFF THAN YOU ARE TODAY, FOR A POOR CHOICE IN RIDING EQUIPEMENT.  my .02 Ski

Always remember your target audience. This is basically a Trail forum. It's like espousing the merits of atheism at a Sunday Bible class.

2 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

Always remember your target audience. This is basically a Trail forum. It's like espousing the merits of atheism at a Sunday Bible class.

The issue is that it is a blanket ruling.

The guy that wants to put out to the lake on his 250 loaded with gear needs to wear the same equipment as the guy on the F11 that likes to come home with longer arms.

If y'all were really all aboot safety, I suggest that none of you have any reason to have more than a 340 fan cooled machine as that will EASILY doo 120 klicks these days, and max legal speed on the trails that you are so concerned aboot safety on is only 50 klicks. I'm thinkin' that maybe The Queen should start regs THERE!

Also - how many of you wear chest protectors?

IMO a chest protector is much more likely to save you from major damage than a helmet when riding a SNOW machine.

Especially with today's tall bars as a standard.

When you lock skis with that A/H that cut the corner doing 80 klicks (we all know that this HAS to be the other guy, as Shirley no-one here would ever be guilty of such - as you are all aboot safety) I don't see your head hitting anything but the snow in front of you, but your chest, abdomen, and groin have to go through that set of ape hangers. 

You wearin' a  cup too?

As I said - my helmet is on tight! If it comes off - there is a lot more trouble than that!

I have tested it numerous times (not on porpoise) and it has never budged.

If it had - I would likely feel the need to strap it up.

I HAVE seen my chum freaking out when he couldn't git his off quickly enough after faceplanting it, and his mouth clear full of snow and he couldn't breath.

What aboot if you go through the ice? I'm thinkin' that I would want to rip my bucket off post haste?

(just guessing as I have never done it, or been around anyone that has)

Again - IMO a chest protector would doo you MORE good in most accidents. (and a 340)

Better tell the Power That Be to pass another law to save you from yourself, since you apparently are not trustworthy to decide for yourselves.

I doo wear a helmet.

It is tight. It is full face. It does not spread out like an open face - or like your new convertible style helmets. (what doo they call them?)

I HAVE had open face come loose - even with the strap done up!

And I highly doubt that the new convertibles are much different.

But that's not what I run.

I drive slow. I ride slow (comparatively)

Last trip up a cpl weeks ago - sometime recently they upped the speed limit on 127/I-75 to 75 MPH.

My cruise was set at 68. (no trailer) If I was running the 'Burban (empty) I might have set it to 72?

I have a rather benign driving record.

The fastest that my sleds go is on the back of my truck.

I typically pack way more survival gear than anyone.

I have forty-leven pair of gloves on board.

I don't drink alcohol. I don't smoke - anything.

And yet some yahoo with a V-Max 4, Mach Zed,  or an F11 with their arms all out of their sockets and probably left an empty Molson can (or 3) back at the warm-up shack feels the need to preach (and especially regulate) safety to me?

2 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Heck Ive heard motorcycle accident victims lose their boots due to the impact.

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

It would be safe to say that you dont skimp on your 'PPE' either...

29 minutes ago, Ox said:

The guy that wants to put out to the lake on his 250 loaded with gear needs to wear the same equipment as the guy on the F11 that likes to come home with longer arms.

If y'all were really all aboot safety, I suggest that none of you have any reason to have more than a 340 fan cooled machine as that will EASILY doo 120 klicks these days, and max legal speed on the trails that you are so concerned aboot safety on is only 50 klicks. I'm thinkin' that maybe The Queen should start regs THERE!

IMO a chest protector is much more likely to save you from major damage than a helmet when riding a SNOW machine.

When you lock skis with that A/H that cut the corner doing 80 klicks (we all know that this HAS to be the other guy, as Shirley no-one here would ever be guilty of such - as you are all aboot safety) I don't see your head hitting anything but the snow in front of you, but your chest, abdomen, and groin have to go through that set of ape hangers. 

You wearin' a  cup too?

As I said - my helmet is on tight! If it comes off - there is a lot more trouble than that!

I HAVE seen my chum freaking out when he couldn't git his off quickly enough after faceplanting it, and his mouth clear full of snow and he couldn't breath.

What aboot if you go through the ice? I'm thinkin' that I would want to rip my bucket off post haste?

Again - IMO a chest protector would doo you MORE good in most accidents. (and a 340)

Better tell the Power That Be to pass another law to save you from yourself, since you apparently are not trustworthy to decide for yourselves.

I doo wear a helmet.

It is tight. It is full face. It does not spread out like an open face - or like your new convertible style helmets. (what doo they call them?)

Last trip up a cpl weeks ago - sometime recently they upped the speed limit on 127/I-75 to 75 MPH.

My cruise was set at 68. (no trailer) If I was running the 'Burban (empty) I might have set it to 72?

And yet some yahoo with a V-Max 4 or an F11 with their arms all out of their sockets feels the need to preach (and especially regulate) safety to me - I git a bit pissed.

Just a mere chin strap. Ow ! how abowt that Maircan attitude ? I guess it isn't EASY being Sgt. Rock ? Make sure your traveller's insurance is paid up when you visit up here - we don't pay for lunacy. Getting a headache - time for some Tylenol with coedine.

3 hours ago, Ox said:

You wearin' a  cup too?

I doo wear a helmet.

I don't drink alcohol. I don't smoke - anything.

And yet some yahoo with a V-Max 4, Mach Zed,  or an F11 with their arms all out of their sockets and probably left an empty Molson can (or 3) back at the warm-up shack feels the need to preach (and especially regulate) safety to me?

You do have a choice like us as you know, you /we aren't being forced to ride here however if you/we choose to ride in Ontario or anywhere for that matter you/we should know and abide by the laws whether you /we like them or not. (ie: Quebec mirror law) Although it might be nice for some,  I don't think it's realistic to think that we would have helmet laws for some particular style of riding and not for other style(s) of riding if that's what you are suggesting. Hell, our government wouldn't have any idea how to deal with that. LOL

7 hours ago, Wildbill said:

X2! A helmet buckled on is no guarantee you survive a crash but it will greatly increase your odds. Accidents by definition are unpredictable. There is no reason to not have a comfortable & safe helmet. The OPP divers appreciate sledders wearing them on the ice and you can guess why. All kidding aside the cop is just doing their job keeping us safe. If nothing else they keep the uninsured and drunk sledders to a minimum. I like to see them out. If there was only something they could do about loud cans and off trail riders that jeopardise our trails......

I didn't have much regard for safety on bicycles, motorbikes, etc...  but when an experienced and sober   acquaintance fell from perched atop a dirtbike after a rip, AT A STANDSTILL, without his helmet on, his temple hit a tiny rock on the grass, then died... wtf. 

I wont even unload my sled from the trailer without it on or thinking about that tiny rock. Since then, I bought bicyle helmets for biking, etc.  The brain is a weird and sensitive organ.  I went skiing for first time in 20 years and realized ski helmets are a thing too! Makes sense. 

And if our government could have an opt out option for those who wish to provide their own emergency services, healthcare, etc thats fine.

And if they dont like the rule of law here, I've been to other countries that actually let you almost “live free” (and have no healthcare)... but like an eighties twilight zone episode, it really can suck to get what you wish for. 

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You do have a choice like us as you know, you /we aren't being forced to ride here however if you/we choose to ride in Ontario or anywhere for that matter you/we should know and abide by the laws whether you /we like them or not. (ie: Quebec mirror law) Although it might be nice for some,  I don't think it's realistic to think that we would have helmet laws for some particular style of riding and not for other style(s) of riding if that's what you are suggesting. Hell, our government wouldn't have any idea how to deal with that. LOL

Um, no. I will not abide by all the laws. I will exceed the speed limit every single ride, have never not done so. I will roll stop signs when safe to do so, do it every single ride. i will come home without being in a collision, have done so every single ride. I do up my helmet not because it is law, i do so because if i did not I would not even bother to wear one as they serve no purpose otherwise. I want my melon protected because I use the damn thing each and every day. I would prefer everyone else does as well, not because I care about them crushing their skull on a tree, I do not, but because my taxes pay for brain damaged people that need care for the next 40 years. I ski faster than the OFSC speed limit and do so with many beers in my system, and no helmet unless I want the camera on my head. i have been skiing for 50 years had many a great spill, a few with a helmet on when I was racing(forced to wear one), and many many more without. never had a head injury, lucky maybe. I hate wearing a helmet when skiing. Funny how you can drink and ski, eh? Christ one day after sitting in the bar from 11-3 I changed my mind and decided to drive home and had to ski myself sober until 11pm. Some laws are made to be broken.

Not sure what's the issue here. Common sense should dictate that shit does happen. Lids have straps, cars trucks have seatbelts. Pretty simple. I  personally did not agree with belts but as has been stated, better than straw fed, slobbering crapping my pants in a hospital bed. I totally agree with Pro-active common sense policing

23 hours ago, zoso said:

Um, no. I will not abide by all the laws. I will exceed the speed limit every single ride, have never not done so. I will roll stop signs when safe to do so, do it every single ride. i will come home without being in a collision, have done so every single ride. I do up my helmet not because it is law, i do so because if i did not I would not even bother to wear one as they serve no purpose otherwise. I want my melon protected because I use the damn thing each and every day. I would prefer everyone else does as well, not because I care about them crushing their skull on a tree, I do not, but because my taxes pay for brain damaged people that need care for the next 40 years. I ski faster than the OFSC speed limit and do so with many beers in my system, and no helmet unless I want the camera on my head. i have been skiing for 50 years had many a great spill, a few with a helmet on when I was racing(forced to wear one), and many many more without. never had a head injury, lucky maybe. I hate wearing a helmet when skiing. Funny how you can drink and ski, eh? Christ one day after sitting in the bar from 11-3 I changed my mind and decided to drive home and had to ski myself sober until 11pm. Some laws are made to be broken.

Where doo you ski "that fast"?

Locally or Rockies?

Searchmont  (The Soo) is s'posed to have the biggest hill anywhere around the N Michigan area. 

I don't know if there is bigger down along your side of Lake Huron or not?

80 mph is attainable easily, and close to home. It can be done on a smallish hill with the right equipment. 

3 hours ago, Ox said:

Where doo you ski "that fast"?

Locally or Rockies?

Searchmont  (The Soo) is s'posed to have the biggest hill anywhere around the N Michigan area. 

I don't know if there is bigger down along your side of Lake Huron or not?

I ski in quebec. Mont ste Anne, La Massif,  Tremblant, Mont ste Marie. Ste Marie and tremblant are a couple of hours away from my house, the other two are a hotel trip. I no longer live in the sudbury area.

Image may contain: 1 person, drink

48383317_500405933781946_370732527494627328_n.jpg49037948_344047559759292_8875707602613305344_n.thumb.jpg.282f278c5c03f6977043e9fdfd0a24a8.jpg

I sled ONLY because I can no longer ski. 

Saw this from the trail yesterday, and goosebumps. I must have spent 300+ days here. 

Friends tell me some of the trails we cut and kept secret are now sanctioned, and that runs we favoured adorned with ropes with signs of "Pistee Fermee" are now named after old friends and competitors. 

If you ever have a hankering to slice up Ryan or (some other trail re-named after a (expletive deleted) snowboarder) on a pair of mint condition actual world cup 225cm DH boards, drop me a line. 

It's a thrill you'll NEVER forget. 

IMG_0368.JPG

OPP "check helmet strap" gives them (OPP) an opportunity to get close and check for alcohol. My brother is an OPP officer and it is their "non-evasive" way of checking your breath for drinking. Also it shows them signs of impairment should you struggle to show them your chin strap (most have to tilt their heads back) and you become unbalanced. Most people will have to stand to show the officer their helmets are secure again giving into an unbalance impaired state of intoxication should they stagger or slur their words. 

BINGO.   I was just going to post the same thing. 

After pages of posts Thanks Steve B, I was correct in that they were really checking for drinking probably secondary for the people that don't do their strap up. In either case I am glad to see the OPP on the  trails eliminating some of the morons and reminding people to be safe, else you or your wallet will pay the consequences

Archived