OPP checking that helmet strap ?

Muskoka Bill

Interesting , I was checked at an OPP checkstop on D trail today north of Bracebridge, they were checking all riders if your helmet was strapped under your chin, I was fine but I wonder is it illegal to wear a helmet but not have it strapped or I wonder if they were trying to detect if I was drinking ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wear a helmet

You must wear a helmet whenever you drive or ride on a snowmobile or any kind of toboggan or sled towed by a snowmobile. Although you do not require a helmet when you operate a snowmobile on your own land, it is recommended that you wear one for safety reasons. The helmet must meet the standards approved for motorcycle helmets, or motor-assisted bicycle helmets, and must be fastened properly under the chin.

from here

Thanks Dave , It does make good logic that a helmet must be fastened under the chin by law

think its a $130 fine & can't see insurance letting that go.sure they view it as a no seat belt..putting yourself in danger..on that note i'd like to see someone pry my helmet off,once I snap the visor closed no chance of pulling that 4xl over my melon

41 minutes ago, white dragon said:

think its a $130 fine & can't see insurance letting that go.sure they view it as a no seat belt..putting yourself in danger..on that note i'd like to see someone pry my helmet off,once I snap the visor closed no chance of pulling that 4xl over my melon

Just a ticket like speeding under the MSVA. No record on your DL. My buddy NEVER does his up, tell him all the time he might as well not wear it at all.

1 minute ago, zoso said:

Just a ticket like speeding under the MSVA. No record on your DL. My buddy NEVER does his up, tell him all the time he might as well not wear it at all.

that's goodish news,so more of cash grab on guy who does everything by the book but just has huge head...ah not that one..thx for info

Just now, white dragon said:

that's goodish news,so more of cash grab on guy who does everything by the book but just has huge head...ah not that one..thx for info

Seriously, you cannot get her done up?

3 minutes ago, zoso said:

Seriously, you cannot get her done up?

lol,ya I can..but bet u dozen beer u couldn't pull it off...believe me 

I never strapped my helmet until I bought my Nolan a few years back. It has the quick coupler like most do now. That strap and double D ring stuff I could never do.

43 minutes ago, zoso said:

I doubt that I've buckled mine in a cpl of decades.

Mine fits nice and tight. It doesn't come off easily, and I've been over the bars every which way you can. 

Not once that I can recall has it ever came loose.

Also - I don't wear a helmet for safety at all.

It's warm, it's dry, and if I have to, I can put the visor down to keep the snow out.

I have one riding \chum out west that may possibly not even own a helmet?

He wears an old WWII bomber pilot type thingy...

I don't know about y'all, but I ride in the snow (and seldom ever over 50 klicks, and hopefully a lot slower if the terrain allows!) not on a paved or rocky surface.

I think requiring a helmet is BS - just like seat belts.

It is a personal issue and has not bearing what so ever on anyone else.

That is simply intrusion on personal choices by those that think that they are saving the world.

BITE ME!

In the summer - I wear a helmet on the ATV (not that I've rode one in the last 15 yrs...) for protection and hope to on an enduro some day soon.

If you have a full face helmet that wants to fall off - then it is too loose. (IMO)

But if you want to wear one that is 4 sizes too big, that should be your business and not mine. 

Or AT LEAST it shouldn't be anyone's business legally speaking!

A fella in Wawa that was riding a Tundra to git to a fishing hole a cpl weeks ago got stopped by the OPP for not wearing a helmet.

I seen him roll in that night and I asked him what fer helmet that he had on? Some sorta Harley thing?

He said that the OPP followed him down to the store to make sure that he bought one, and his choices were $30 and $100.

He took the $30 one and the G man was appeased.

I wonder if it was a bicycle helmet?

I will guarantee you that mine - not done up - will protect me MUCH better than his will when all strapped up!

Just makes me sick - everyone poking their bloody nose in places that it has no business!

DanBillCrestedButte.jpg

Yea, guess if your too ignorant to do your helmet up, there's probably not much worth saving upstairs anyway. as far as seat belts, it's not that people give a crap about saving your stupid azz, it's about the mental health of the poor response teams that have to pick up all the pieces from the highway.

Why spend $300 or more o  a helmet then not do it up ??

22 minutes ago, Jason T said:

it's about the mental health of the poor response teams

And your poor loved ones that have to wipe your ass and check your feeding tube.

31 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

And your poor loved ones that have to wipe your ass and check your feeding tube.

In some cases yes.

In just as many tho - it could have gone the other way....

Having the safety gear on could leave you in a condition that doesn't simply kill you, and your family can't go on with their life and not have you pulling them down.

The helmet didn't doo Superman any good when he fell off his horse now did it?

If I was him - I would have much rather hit my head on a rock and been done as to end up in his wheels.

So - you wrap your sorry assets around a tree at 100 (150?) klicks. Your a paraplegic, but "at least you have your mind".

If you're good with that - fine. Not my decision. But for me - no-thank you!

My current sled will top out at prox 110 klicks.

I don't ride fast.

I don't ride trails for the most part.

I am loving it if I can spend all day on the hydro line at 20 klicks or less.

I'm not running through the corners at 80 klicks into oncoming traffic NEARLY as much as most folks.

Should the same expectations apply to me?

I had a guy that went by "Need for Speed" try to tell me about how I should doo "this" for safety sakes.

Really? "Need for Speed" and you wunna tell me about what I should doo to be safe?

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

I have no issue with what the OPP are doing. I have nothing to hide. Check away.... Glad to see them out. Just dont ticket me for speeding when im in the NCDN..:rotflmao::icon_steer::cool::evil2:

Or around Sudbury.

I was out for a short ride with scottyr today and I'm pretty sure my speed was above 50 mostly likely above 70 most of the day.

Keep in mind I ride a Polaris, that's all I'm going to say. 

2 hours ago, zoso said:

Sawzall

lol...cordless

Strap needs done up period....with out it done up the second hit usually dose the damage....the first hit without strap done up usually knocks the brain bucket of your mellon….the second is from what your mellon is going to hit next.....this is nothing new.

2 hours ago, Jason T said:

Yea, guess if your too ignorant to do your helmet up, there's probably not much worth saving upstairs anyway. as far as seat belts, it's not that people give a crap about saving your stupid azz, it's about the mental health of the poor response teams that have to pick up all the pieces from the highway.

1 hour ago, Poo Man said:

whoa,drama..if u think a fastened helmet or let alone a helmet is your best defence out there on trails...we are on different pages.poo man unfortunately,regardless that's the way it ends...bright side new 850 rocks,hope to go hang with reevester tomorrow...lifes short..your track shouldn't be..

2 hours ago, Ox said:

I doubt that I've buckled mine in a cpl of decades.

Mine fits nice and tight. It doesn't come off easily, and I've been over the bars every which way you can. 

Not once that I can recall has it ever came loose.

Also - I don't wear a helmet for safety at all.

It's warm, it's dry, and if I have to, I can put the visor down to keep the snow out.

I have one riding \chum out west that may possibly not even own a helmet?

He wears an old WWII bomber pilot type thingy...

I don't know about y'all, but I ride in the snow (and seldom ever over 50 klicks, and hopefully a lot slower if the terrain allows!) not on a paved or rocky surface.

I think requiring a helmet is BS - just like seat belts.

It is a personal issue and has not bearing what so ever on anyone else.

That is simply intrusion on personal choices by those that think that they are saving the world.

BITE ME!

In the summer - I wear a helmet on the ATV (not that I've rode one in the last 15 yrs...) for protection and hope to on an enduro some day soon.

If you have a full face helmet that wants to fall off - then it is too loose. (IMO)

But if you want to wear one that is 4 sizes too big, that should be your business and not mine. 

Or AT LEAST it shouldn't be anyone's business legally speaking!

A fella in Wawa that was riding a Tundra to git to a fishing hole a cpl weeks ago got stopped by the OPP for not wearing a helmet.

I seen him roll in that night and I asked him what fer helmet that he had on? Some sorta Harley thing?

He said that the OPP followed him down to the store to make sure that he bought one, and his choices were $30 and $100.

He took the $30 one and the G man was appeased.

I wonder if it was a bicycle helmet?

I will guarantee you that mine - not done up - will protect me MUCH better than his will when all strapped up!

Just makes me sick - everyone poking their bloody nose in places that it has no business!

DanBillCrestedButte.jpg

We have universal health care. We the taxpayer are on the hook for medical bills if a person gets brain damage. it could be a lifetime of care we end up paying. So, unless a person want to buy insurance to cover them for all accident related bills from a head injury due to not wearing a helmet, then I want them wearing one. Right now sikhs have an exemption for motorcycles due to them wearing a turban. I hope the province sues one of them for the costs of medical care if a preventable injury happens, i also wonder how the insurers view this. My guess is some lame ass human rights commission has deemed it to be not allowed to ask if you are sikh when applying for motorcycle insurance.

26 minutes ago, white dragon said:

u think a fastened helmet or let alone a helmet is your best defence out there on trails...we are on different pages.

I guess I just find it hard to believe that an adult can't grasp the concept of doing up a helmet.

52 minutes ago, zoso said:

We have universal health care. We the taxpayer are on the hook for medical bills if a person gets brain damage. it could be a lifetime of care we end up paying. So, unless a person want to buy insurance to cover them for all accident related bills from a head injury due to not wearing a helmet, then I want them wearing one. Right now sikhs have an exemption for motorcycles due to them wearing a turban. I hope the province sues one of them for the costs of medical care if a preventable injury happens, i also wonder how the insurers view this. My guess is some lame ass human rights commission has deemed it to be not allowed to ask if you are sikh when applying for motorcycle insurance.

Yeah, well If someone gits all busted up like that here, it will still  be the Feds picking up the tab eventually.

I don't think that the $ arguement holds water in the end.

A chum of mine is a smoker. I mentioned the same med bills arguement to him years ago. His rebuttle is that anyones end-of-life expenses can be high.

If you really consider the costs on either case, someone dieing of xxx earlier on could be cheaper. That person paid into Social Security for many years, but doesn't draw off of them for yyy years like they could otherwise. I am not up to speed on your forced retirements savings, but I'm guessing that you have similar?

That person may have big med bills earlier on, but how much does the next person use - just later on?

Point is that while the costs of the incapacitated person is in your face, the dead one is forgotten about, and not likely figured into any cost analasis equation.

And while the safety law could save someone from a bad injury, it could just as easilly leave them incapacitated in stead of dead. 

If you want to stay safe, I recommend that you quit playing hockey and start watching curling on TV from the safety of your couch, within short distance of a major hospital..

Archived