Ice riding

Dave K

I have some rooms booked, and heading North Next week for a few days to Sudbury.    Booked at the Moonlight for Tues and Wed night.  I am kinda excited, as this is the first time I've been N of Markdale  on the sled :-? 

We are thinking of The rainbow Elk loop one day, and the Wolf Loop the next day.  These cross some ice sections.  As long as the trail is green, and we stay between the stakes, will we have anything to worry about.  There isnt a whole lot of Ice riding in D9, so this is all new to me.

2 minutes ago, Dave K said:

I have some rooms booked, and heading North Next week for a few days to Sudbury.    Booked at the Moonlight for Tues and Wed night.  I am kinda excited, as this is the first time I've been N of Markdale  on the sled :-? 

We are thinking of The rainbow Elk loop one day, and the Wolf Loop the next day.  These cross some ice sections.  As long as the trail is green, and we stay between the stakes, will we have anything to worry about.  There isnt a whole lot of Ice riding in D9, so this is all new to me.

Have a great trip Dave. This one will spoil you for sure.

You will be fine on the stake line. I urge you not to venture off of it. i was up there, well west of there, two weeks back and the lakes are slushy with water under the snow. I stepped off the packed trail and went through the snow, into a foot of water and then hit ice. There was 4 feet of ice on that lake so it is unlikely you will go swimming, but a bad stuck is very possible if you do run on unpacked snow on the lakes. if you do find yourself slipping off the hard pack, pin it, do not let off until you get back on the hard pack. I do not want to scare you, but you should use a little extra caution. All the lakes i was on were perfect as long as we stayed on the  beaten path. Soupkid can give you details on any known hazards, pressure cracks etc. he rides thm daily up there.

2 hours ago, zoso said:

You will be fine on the stake line. I urge you not to venture off of it. i was up there, well west of there, two weeks back and the lakes are slushy with water under the snow. I stepped off the packed trail and went through the snow, into a foot of water and then hit ice. There was 4 feet of ice on that lake so it is unlikely you will go swimming, but a bad stuck is very possible if you do run on unpacked snow on the lakes. if you do find yourself slipping off the hard pack, pin it, do not let off until you get back on the hard pack. I do not want to scare you, but you should use a little extra caution. All the lakes i was on were perfect as long as we stayed on the  beaten path. Soupkid can give you details on any known hazards, pressure cracks etc. he rides thm daily up there.

Excellent info right there

3 hours ago, Dave K said:

All the lakes you will cross are safe.

Our stake lines are a single line, keep to the right, lots don't.

Any hazards on the lake should be well marked.

Shoot me a pm with your number and maybe I will guide you around Wednesday, Thursday I'm busy.

47 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Shoot me a pm with your number and maybe I will guide you around Wednesday, Thursday I'm busy.

Sounds Good I will pm you

12 hours ago, Dave K said:

Sounds Good I will pm you

Got your pm.

At this point everything is a go for me Wednesday but could change.

Between my wife's injury and me stuff our household is I crap shoot right now.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, soupkids said:

What is so hard about that? :wtf:

On 3/7/2019 at 5:31 PM, Dave K said:

Trails and lakes are in fine shape, you surely will have a treat riding if you have never been to the area before.   Advice...As zozo says...stay on the packed trails on the ice if you are not familiar with ice riding, and possible slush under the snow.  You can't see the slush until your in it, and you do not want to get stuck in it, as it will put a damper on your day...Dont explore off the trail if you don't know the area....

5 hours ago, snowman said:

Trails and lakes are in fine shape, you surely will have a treat riding if you have never been to the area before.   Advice...As zozo says...stay on the packed trails on the ice if you are not familiar with ice riding, and possible slush under the snow.  You can't see the slush until your in it, and you do not want to get stuck in it, as it will put a damper on your day...Dont explore off the trail if you don't know the area....

If everything stays as is with me Dave k will be using the professional guiding services of a local for his ride.

4 hours ago, soupkids said:

If everything stays as is with me Dave k will be using the professional guiding services of a local for his ride.

Thinking back to some of your pix words like submerged and wet come to mind.sure wish I was ridin with you.Have a great rip

2 minutes ago, brodhagenbullet said:

Thinking back to some of your pix words like submerged and wet come to mind.sure wish I was ridin with you.Have a great rip

Trust me I'm staying away from anything resembling wet.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, zoso said:

Lots of snow yonder - weighing heavy on the ice, and so you get water pushing up through the cracks.

It takes some gitt'n used to.

The conditions were about the same as he said for Wawa Lake a cpl weeks ago, and while I agree with most of the above post, I would caution you NOT to pin it.

I was given some very good advise many years ago regarding crossing sketchy ice. I was told NOT to run WOT accross as you are much more likely to blow a belt dooing so, and if you don't like the conditions already, just wait 'till you have to stop and change a belt!

I have tossed a belt on Dog Lake before (Algoma) and the ice was very good, no slush, but still - I don't care for wrenching out on the ice.

One of our guys lost a belt on Wawa Lake 2 weeks ago, and it was a newer machine and a new belt. He could have been git'n on it pretty good? I don't know... I was running Clean-Up.

One thing that I just had to add to my list to watch for was land mines ON THE ICE!

Are you kidd'n?

I hit 2 somethings or others - mostly near the other end of Wawa Lake.

I did see the one at the last second, but the other was after dark, and I never did see that one!

My best guess is that someone did a smoky burn-out on the lake and it froze into a pile of ice?

So of all things - to need to start watching for land mines on the lakes now! :o

Generally I travel about 1/2 throttle on lakes that I am exploring or crossing off the trail.

Doing this gives me some get up and go if I need it.

7 hours ago, Ox said:

Lots of snow yonder - weighing heavy on the ice, and so you get water pushing up through the cracks.

It takes some gitt'n used to.

The conditions were about the same as he said for Wawa Lake a cpl weeks ago, and while I agree with most of the above post, I would caution you NOT to pin it.

I was given some very good advise many years ago regarding crossing sketchy ice. I was told NOT to run WOT accross as you are much more likely to blow a belt dooing so, and if you don't like the conditions already, just wait 'till you have to stop and change a belt!

I have tossed a belt on Dog Lake before (Algoma) and the ice was very good, no slush, but still - I don't care for wrenching out on the ice.

One of our guys lost a belt on Wawa Lake 2 weeks ago, and it was a newer machine and a new belt. He could have been git'n on it pretty good? I don't know... I was running Clean-Up.

One thing that I just had to add to my list to watch for was land mines ON THE ICE!

Are you kidd'n?

I hit 2 somethings or others - mostly near the other end of Wawa Lake.

I did see the one at the last second, but the other was after dark, and I never did see that one!

My best guess is that someone did a smoky burn-out on the lake and it froze into a pile of ice?

So of all things - to need to start watching for land mines on the lakes now! :o

I was saying to get back ON the packed staked trail, not to run the lake. the lakes will not be slushy on the packed section, only if you come off of it.. I am not saying to pin it all the way across a lake.

The staked portion of the lakes in Sudbury are hard packed about as well as the trails. We crossed a few yesterday east of Sudbury and did not encounter any slush. The trails were excellent!  

Archived