Stop signs!!!

gobills

3 minutes ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

I did the trail audits for the OFSC for a few years. Now I can't ride without looking at the signs. I still report missing stop or stop ahead signs as it definitely is a safety thing. 

I've always wondered if someone checked the signage @ an official level.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Not a problem guys. Any of you that have taken the signage course probably will agree that when riding you'll notice stuff like this.

I remember during the training, a slide showing signage attached to a hydro pole, a definite no no.

I guess I'm guilty of the Hydro pole installs then. Guess I'll hand in my picket pounder and cordless drill. Yeah.:smil9:

We have a section of follow road to trail, and the only place to put signs that the plow guys can't hit them are on the Hydro poles. One is a stop ahead because there isn't one on the road, and the stop is poorly located behind a community mailbox and snowbank, which I've had to clear with the groomer blade a couple of times.

Guilty as well  with the stop on a post .  seems more permanent than a  stick .

Local decided to take his tractor across the trail on Friday, don't know why, wasn't the landowner either.

Anyways, got off the edge of the trail and the only sign he managed to hit was the stop ahead and left it like that, idgit.

Took a steel stand we have for these instances and put the Stop ahead on that. Apparently there is 12-14 inches of base on the fields here. Going to be while before the beans get planted there.

1 hour ago, Crow said:

I guess I'm guilty of the Hydro pole installs then. Guess I'll hand in my picket pounder and cordless drill. Yeah.:smil9:

We have a section of follow road to trail, and the only place to put signs that the plow guys can't hit them are on the Hydro poles. One is a stop ahead because there isn't one on the road, and the stop is poorly located behind a community mailbox and snowbank, which I've had to clear with the groomer blade a couple of times.

Roast me for it, but sometimes common sense must take precedent over the rules.

1 hour ago, Cuyuna said:

Roast me for it, but sometimes common sense must take precedent over the rules.

It seems to me the hydro guys get a little grumpy when they find signs on their poles. They will remove and dispose of any signs on their poles not belonging to them. This probably only happens if they have reason to climb the pole

9 minutes ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

It seems to me the hydro guys get a little grumpy when they find signs on their poles. They will remove and dispose of any signs on their poles not belonging to them. This probably only happens if they have reason to climb the pole

Point taken - good one.

38 minutes ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

29 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Point taken - good one.

I think the fact that the club/OFSC may get grief from Hydro 1 or other utilities may be the reason using poles is frowned on.

On the other hand it's pretty hard for a sledder or groomer to knock 1 over...

I can,t remember when the last time l saw a hydro employee climb a pole . 

1 hour ago, coldfinger said:

I can,t remember when the last time l saw a hydro employee climb a pole . 

True, but they own the poles...

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I think the fact that the club/OFSC may get grief from Hydro 1 or other utilities may be the reason using poles is frowned on.

On the other hand it's pretty hard for a sledder or groomer to knock 1 over...

It can be done trust me

13 hours ago, gtserider said:

happened  just south of you this year.

We had a couple  issues with poles this year!!

Reading the thread about the near miss involving a log hauler reminded me of the 'incident' (my driver's ed teacher said there is no such thing as an accident, most can be attributed to driver error) in D6.

A sledder collided w/ a vehicle where B106E crosses Hwy 127 north of Maynooth. Sledder was badly injured & charged afterwards.

Archived