Friday ride near Bobcaygeon. Others welcome

GrizzlyGriff

We stopped along the trail for a snack break and I took the opportunity to point out a fungus that was growing on a tree. One in a thousand trees have this fungus and we were lucky to have seen it. Its called Chaga.  You can google it for information on it's healing qualities and there are lots of Utube videos on what it's like. It's healing qualities include diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, cancer etc. I use it alot and you can bring it along with you on the trail as a hot quencher. Tastes like coffee with a hint of malt and it's all natural.

Here's a vid of a snowmobiler who used it, if you take the time something can be learnt. Of course it's up to every individual to make up their minds to it's healing abilities.

Seems I Have survived :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEsWEfl3hC4

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Good to see you rode up from Flynns. Was that in your plan? I wasnt sure of your route but after what I saw on Thurs' I knew you coukd ride it. South of the tge ditch banging can be tiresome @ the best of times.

I take it someone knows the route on the lakes? Too many bad things have happened in that area since I was a kid for me to venture around there by myself.

Solid ice and snow was plentiful, but you are right..... kudos to Grizzlygriff, he knew the route. Valuable guy to have as a lead...  friendly, knowledgable and patient .

Flynns had no gas .... on a Friday ... must have been a lot of sledders passing through.

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

Good to see you rode up from Flynns. Was that in your plan? I wasnt sure of your route but after what I saw on Thurs' I knew you coukd ride it. South of the tge ditch banging can be tiresome @ the best of times.

I take it someone knows the route on the lakes? Too many bad things have happened in that area since I was a kid for me to venture around there by myself.

GrizzlyGriff  is an awesome trail/ lake guide. he knows his way around these lakes and planned a perfect loop for us!

16 hours ago, barberch said:

GrizzlyGriff  is an awesome trail/ lake guide. he knows his way around these lakes and planned a perfect loop for us!

Makes good coffee too!

23 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

We stopped along the trail for a snack break and I took the opportunity to point out a fungus that was growing on a tree. One in a thousand trees have this fungus and we were lucky to have seen it. Its called Chaga.  You can google it for information on it's healing qualities and there are lots of Utube videos on what it's like. It's healing qualities include diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, cancer etc. I use it alot and you can bring it along with you on the trail as a hot quencher. Tastes like coffee with a hint of malt and it's all natural.

Here's a vid of a snowmobiler who used it, if you take the time something can be learnt. Of course it's up to every individual to make up their minds to it's healing abilities.

Seems I Have survived :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEsWEfl3hC4

Very interesting thanks for sharing.  That is a cool little shelter he made himself.  How much of that chaga  do you personally use in a cup??

Just now, gobills said:

Very interesting thanks for sharing.  That is a cool little shelter he made himself.  How much of that chaga  do you personally use in a cup??

Boil water...  then add a tea spoon of Chaga. Let simmer off the fire for 10 minutes ... strain then drink as you would coffee i.e:- black, with milk or with milk and sugar.

Don't buy Timothy's Tea Chaga....  it's not real. It's a simulated mixture. Part of Chaga is the fun and exploration to find it... best harvested in Winter or Early Spring. I harvest mine in the Canadian Shield in Frontenac.

10 minutes ago, Yamaha Fan said:

Boil water...  then add a tea spoon of Chaga. Let simmer off the fire for 10 minutes ... strain then drink as you would coffee i.e:- black, with milk or with milk and sugar.

Don't buy Timothy's Tea Chaga....  it's not real. It's a simulated mixture. Part of Chaga is the fun and exploration to find it... best harvested in Winter or Early Spring. I harvest mine in the Canadian Shield in Frontenac.

Typically on birch trees??

2 minutes ago, gobills said:

Typically on birch trees??

Only on birch trees. This is an amazing tree. It's peeling bark is high in resin and can be torn off like paper. Crumple it and use fire steel, matches or a lighter and use as a fire starter. I sometimes do this when snowmobiling alone and have my Chaga drink.....  brings out the survival or pioneer spirit in you.  Be careful however when starting fires in the wilderness ... survival skills are somewhat required.

We definitely rode some of the same trails. We started at Tory Hill around noon and headed south through Gooderham and down into the Buckhorn trails. We met the OPP at Crystal Lake area and they had a couple of customers. We were just a drive by checking stickers. I was surprised to see them as they were in the middle of nowhere. I suspected something was coming up when we had weird hand gestures from a couple of other sleds coming from the direction we were heading. We continued south to Bass Lake area and headed over to Fenelon Falls and back up to the Pinestone for the night. Saturday was a ride to Lake St. Peter and the trails were extremely busy. Everyone was out riding and still there were idiots who were out for speed and cutting corners. Back to Tory Hill via Miskwabi trail to end a great two days riding. Trails were all outstanding and the groomed to perfection. We passed three separate groomers from three different clubs out making flat ribbons of snow. Saturday morning was -18C and the fog on Kashagawigamog Lake was so eerie.

20190308_143554.JPG.b4c46e28f5b6d39d6ab18616186c62a3.JPG

Buchhorn trail 509

20190309_114023.JPG.aef32cdf46a767145d6385f0df2885c8.JPG

Porterville Diner at Lake St. Peter before the crowds arrived.

20190309_133357.JPG.65db64043bfafb3840616b61b718634c.JPG

E109 at south end of Algonquin Park

20190309_133406.JPG.1ac63bd3f9e53fe46e53a7172e075d8a.JPG

P3090009.JPG.b1fccdc33242be9688ca1d0d382bae23.JPG

Early morning Kashagawigamog Lake trail 7

P3090012.JPG.2212553ef9a2dbbec33b23c7dac24fcb.JPG

Paudash trail 602 at the property edge of the no longer Scout camp owned by Oshawa District Scouts. I spent many years hiking and camping at the camp.

7 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

We definitely rode some of the same trails. We started at Tory Hill around noon and headed south through Gooderham and down into the Buckhorn trails. We met the OPP at Crystal Lake area and they had a couple of customers. We were just a drive by checking stickers. I was surprised to see them as they were in the middle of nowhere. I suspected something was coming up when we had weird hand gestures from a couple of other sleds coming from the direction we were heading. We continued south to Bass Lake area and headed over to Fenelon Falls and back up to the Pinestone for the night. Saturday was a ride to Lake St. Peter and the trails were extremely busy. Everyone was out riding and still there were idiots who were out for speed and cutting corners. Back to Tory Hill via Miskwabi trail to end a great two days riding. Trails were all outstanding and the groomed to perfection. We passed three separate groomers from three different clubs out making flat ribbons of snow. Saturday morning was -18C and the fog on Kashagawigamog Lake was so eerie.

20190308_143554.JPG.b4c46e28f5b6d39d6ab18616186c62a3.JPG

Buchhorn trail 509

20190309_114023.JPG.aef32cdf46a767145d6385f0df2885c8.JPG

Porterville Diner at Lake St. Peter before the crowds arrived.

20190309_133357.JPG.65db64043bfafb3840616b61b718634c.JPG

E109 at south end of Algonquin Park

20190309_133406.JPG.1ac63bd3f9e53fe46e53a7172e075d8a.JPG

P3090009.JPG.b1fccdc33242be9688ca1d0d382bae23.JPG

Early morning Kashagawigamog Lake trail 7

P3090012.JPG.2212553ef9a2dbbec33b23c7dac24fcb.JPG

Paudash trail 602 at the property edge of the no longer Scout camp owned by Oshawa District Scouts. I spent many years hiking and camping at the camp.

Ive never noticed the streetcar body up there. Mind you I dont ride that very often. Is it near the shoe tree? 

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Ive never noticed the streetcar body up there. Mind you I dont ride that very often. Is it near the shoe tree? 

I forgot about the shoe tree. That tree is closer to the Toronto Scout camp I think near Hearst lake. If you decide to take a ride to the area be aware that the trail has been heavily damaged by a vehicle going to the Toronto Scout camp. i am sure the vehicle was stuck a few times.

4 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

I forgot about the shoe tree. That tree is closer to the Toronto Scout camp I think near Hearst lake. If you decide to take a ride to the area be aware that the trail has been heavily damaged by a vehicle going to the Toronto Scout camp. i am sure the vehicle was stuck a few times.

Looking @ the map & it has been YEARS since I was across thru there. I seem to recall seeing the remains of an old 'bubble car' (Isetta etc) on the north shore of a lake. We were on our way over to Haliburton that day.

On 3/11/2019 at 12:56 AM, revrnd said:

Looking @ the map & it has been YEARS since I was across thru there. I seem to recall seeing the remains of an old 'bubble car' (Isetta etc) on the north shore of a lake. We were on our way over to Haliburton that day.

Never seen that car. Never gone over to the Camp Timberlane side of the lake. Forbidden territory back when we were kids.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, Yamaha Fan said:

Thanks for the information on Chaga. And the great ride report.

Archived