Lake Muskoka Ice Conditions?

Browing3812

11 years old?? Will be the lead in our Driver Training class tonight....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ride over the land route all the time as i have a cottage on the lake 

why are young kids out that late on sleds on the lake ?

where is the parent guideance?

where was the common sense ?

Is there a safe stake line to follow in and out of muskoka bay? If not, perhaps its time one be put in. So easy to get disoriented on a lake at night. 

On 3/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, snapper said:

Very sad, but sledding after midnight? Obviously parental guidance was not applied here.

X2

19 minutes ago, Steve F6 said:

So easy to get disoriented on a lake at night. 

Aerial photo of The Narrows, looking toward the southeast. Left side is the big lake outside The Narrows, right side is Muskoka Bay, inside The Narrows.

The yellow line crosses over the peninsula via a public right-of-way. Note the well established sled tracks. This is the less dangerous crossing. No ice is safe, especially when there may be nearby docks with bubblers.

The red line is a no-no. Usually open water, but sometimes frozen. NOTE the well established sled path. Not as many tracks as the yellow crossing, but even so there are tons of tracks. Some people go through The Narrows with full awareness of the danger: some go through with no awareness - -  people are just "following" the tracks. At night you would not even know there was open water until you were on it or in it.

20190305_193931.jpg

On 3/4/2019 at 1:38 PM, Denis007 said:

Now WHY THE F WERE THEY ANYWHERE NEAR OPEN WATER ANYWAYS ???? 

Cue the "no sympathy" song ..... grrrrr ......

i'll always have sympathy for children they don't "know better" the adults with them put them in danger. Have some sympathy for the emergency responders who rescued them . Ill tell you dealing with a rescue of kids that results in a fatality isn't something that will EVER leave you. It will haunt you forever.

Thank you for clarifying that Blake. I'd like to a stake line put in. Something like this maybe? 

C27D89F7-A38A-4BE1-A229-11D8849A9A1C.jpeg

2 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

Is there a safe stake line to follow in and out of muskoka bay? If not, perhaps its time one be put in. So easy to get disoriented on a lake at night. 

The challenge with a stake line on the ice is that whoever puts it in suddenly faces a level of liability for anyone following it.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

The challenge with a stake line on the ice is that whoever puts it in suddenly faces a level of liability for anyone following it.

Exactly. There's an overland trail, a stake line leading to that trail on both sides would be more suitable. 

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Putting a few pine trees in creates no liability at all.

3 hours ago, zoso said:

Putting a few pine trees in creates no liability at all.

BS ask a lawyer. 

9 hours ago, 02Sled said:

very difficult to prove who and why a stake line was put in by someone 

Sometimes it's an easy mystery to solve. A guy posted on our club website advertising for trees for the treeline across the Ottawa River to join to the PQ trails. I know I would never want that responsibility. Is it checked after, how often,and marked closed at some point?

With a land trail being so close, i wonder why you would risk the ice crossing at that time of night with young kids? I sure as heck wouldn't have my 11 and 5 yr old girls out crossing a lake at that time of night. Seems so preventable to me IDK..sad.

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

very difficult to prove who and why a stake line was put in by someone 

Sometimes, not always. Just like the cottagers who have historically put out various floating objects on their cottage lakes as markers. Many aren't doing it anymore due to liability concerns. There have been articles on that subject in various media and some people have been advised by their lawyers to not put out markers. The world is changing and people are all too eager to sue someone if they think they can get money to cover their stupidity. Think of the entitlement generation.   

45 minutes ago, Jason T said:

With a land trail being so close, i wonder why you would risk the ice crossing at that time of night with young kids? I sure as heck wouldn't have my 11 and 5 yr old girls out crossing a lake at that time of night. Seems so preventable to me IDK..sad.

If you're coming from G'hurst you come to the narrows B 4 the land crossing-you have to know the area or don't go!!!

52 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Sometimes, not always. Just like the cottagers who have historically put out various floating objects on their cottage lakes as markers. Many aren't doing it anymore due to liability concerns. There have been articles on that subject in various media and some people have been advised by their lawyers to not put out markers. The world is changing and people are all too eager to sue someone if they think they can get money to cover their stupidity. Think of the entitlement generation.   

The only thing lawyers care about is if they can win a claim, fault and liability have nothing to do with it.

Also for those using bubblers, god help them if someone dies from falling through. 

5 hours ago, Crow said:

Sometimes it's an easy mystery to solve. A guy posted on our club website advertising for trees for the treeline across the Ottawa River to join to the PQ trails. I know I would never want that responsibility. Is it checked after, how often,and marked closed at some point?

It is common around here that some of the folks that sell Christmas trees will give there left overs to the ice fisherman that get used on Simcoe....I think they even use the trees to mark the ice road crossing over to the island, or at least they used too, have not been up that way in a few years.

5 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The only thing lawyers care about is if they can win a claim, fault and liability have nothing to do with it.

Also for those using bubblers, god help them if someone dies from falling through. 

Yup. There are apparently some areas that are or are looking at regulations around their use 

6 hours ago, Crow said:

If you do not tell anyone you did it, unless the person suing can find a witness willing to say you did, no law suit. no lawyer is going to take a case where the person they are going to sue is yet to be discovered. The victim's family would have to investigate and get proof of what party installed this line, a lawyer would scrutinize tht proof, and then maybe take a case. i would do it with confidence of not being sued. You do realize we place trees in ice fishing holes, that alone would beat this case if they ever did prove you did it, simply say you were placing them in fish holes you had punched.

11 hours ago, 02Sled said:

BS ask a lawyer. 

This is why there is no longer a ofsc staked trail from Penetang/Midland to Honey harbour. To much risk involving pressure cracks, open water at the tip of Beausolei island And ice breaker operations. 

There is now a tree line put in by Who Knows who!

My opinion on staking Lake Muskoka? The clubs dont want that liability, or else it would have been done long ago.

2 hours ago, zoso said:

If you do not tell anyone you did it, unless the person suing can find a witness willing to say you did, no law suit. no lawyer is going to take a case where the person they are going to sue is yet to be discovered. The victim's family would have to investigate and get proof of what party installed this line, a lawyer would scrutinize tht proof, and then maybe take a case. i would do it with confidence of not being sued. You do realize we place trees in ice fishing holes, that alone would beat this case if they ever did prove you did it, simply say you were placing them in fish holes you had punched.

First thing lawyers look at when incidents involving snowmobiles is the OFSC, it is investigated every time. This is why our insurance eats up such a big chunk of permit dollars. 

We tend to avoid lakes whenever possible to minimize risk!

I have seen non ofsc stakelines done privately with private trail sign disclaimers on them. Sticks, trees or pickets. There is always risk, no ice is considered safe is the best we can state.

19 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

First thing lawyers look at when incidents involving snowmobiles is the OFSC, it is investigated every time. This is why our insurance eats up such a big chunk of permit dollars. 

We tend to avoid lakes whenever possible to minimize risk!

I have seen non ofsc stakelines done privately with private trail sign disclaimers on them. Sticks, trees or pickets. There is always risk, no ice is considered safe is the best we can state.

Having lived in northern Ontario I have seen hundreds of tree line stakes on lakes.  Never heard of a lawsuit.

6 hours ago, zoso said:

Maybe Zoso. I am just not interested in getting involved in staking ice trails.

How many holes are you allowed for ice fishing if you're fishing alone?

I can picture the 3 kms of trees in "ice fishing holes". Looks like you were trolling on the ice.:lol:

Archived