Lake Muskoka Ice Conditions?

Browing3812

Headed up to the Wharf in Gravehurst with the families for March break. 

What are the ice conditions like on Lake Muskoka? Any areas that are known to always be bad or stay away from?

Likely look to just ride right from hotel to tour around the lake a little. Definitely nothing crazy with the wives and kids that's for sure

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Browing3812 said:

Headed up to the Wharf in Gravehurst with the families for March break. 

What are the ice conditions like on Lake Muskoka? Any areas that are known to always be bad or stay away from?

Likely look to just ride right from hotel to tour around the lake a little. Definitely nothing crazy with the wives and kids that's for sure

Thanks in advance!

The Narrows @ N. end of G'hurst Bay/mouth of Muskoka River/mouth of Indian River/under bridge @ Milford Bay/Kettles @ Mortimers Point/all around Bala. + the thousands of bubblers that run freely in front of most boathouses!

Just now, Muskoka1 said:

The Narrows @ N. end of G'hurst Bay/mouth of Muskoka River/mouth of Indian River/under bridge @ Milford Bay/Kettles @ Mortimers Point/all around Bala. + the thousands of bubblers that run freely in front of most boathouses!

Generally a lot of ice in the lakes-just came back from a run around Muskoka/Rosseau & Joe

The ice this year although we have had some real cold days isn't typical it seems on most lakes. The few thaws we have had and currents have made things abnormal. As an example, Little Lake, Port Severn there is a spot that is typically a bit slushy a bit out from the west shore. It's not part of the staked trail but many make this lake run that takes them between Yellowhead Island and Wildwood Park to get to the Amco for gas.

This year that slushy portion is essentially two small pools of open water filled with floating slush. Typically people stay well to the side of the slush and the ice is solid. A lot of people have commented on how they see the water sloshing around in the two small pools as they pass even well back from those pools on their sleds. It seems the ice is thin enough that it's flexing and pushing the water around below the ice.

Personally I've never seen this in the past and this is the first year for it. So basically just because somewhere is usually solid don't necessarily count on it this year.

7 hours ago, 02Sled said:

The ice this year although we have had some real cold days isn't typical it seems on most lakes. The few thaws we have had and currents have made things abnormal. As an example, Little Lake, Port Severn there is a spot that is typically a bit slushy a bit out from the west shore. It's not part of the staked trail but many make this lake run that takes them between Yellowhead Island and Wildwood Park to get to the Amco for gas.

This year that slushy portion is essentially two small pools of open water filled with floating slush. Typically people stay well to the side of the slush and the ice is solid. A lot of people have commented on how they see the water sloshing around in the two small pools as they pass even well back from those pools on their sleds. It seems the ice is thin enough that it's flexing and pushing the water around below the ice.

Personally I've never seen this in the past and this is the first year for it. So basically just because somewhere is usually solid don't necessarily count on it this year.

All over Muskoka/Rosseau  & Joe yesterday-pretty darn solid!

On 3/2/2019 at 6:10 PM, Muskoka1 said:

I heard that two locals died early this morning at The Narrows. Apparently five sledders ended up in the open water, and only three got out alive. 

34 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I heard that two locals died early this morning at The Narrows. Apparently five sledders ended up in the open water, and only three got out alive. 

That's a terrible tragedy Blake.  My condolences to their family and friends.  

Hard to imagine that they wouldn't realize how close they were to that dangerous area.

Here's a link to an article on the drownings of the 2 young boys:

https://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/9203919-2-muskoka-youths-die-after-snowmobiles-go-through-ice-on-lake-muskoka/

Now WHY THE F WERE THEY ANYWHERE NEAR OPEN WATER ANYWAYS ???? 

Cue the "no sympathy" song ..... grrrrr ......

ya I just read about that story....crazy....I heard it was at the narrows but can't say for certain. 

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That's a terrible tragedy Blake.  My condolences to their family and friends.  

Hard to imagine that they wouldn't realize how close they were to that dangerous area.

Here's a link to an article on the drownings of the 2 young boys:

https://www.muskokaregion.com/news-story/9203919-2-muskoka-youths-die-after-snowmobiles-go-through-ice-on-lake-muskoka/

My condolences as well.--But my 11,14, 15 yr olds where in bed after midnight on a school night Some bad decisions made..

Condolences to the family....  so sad indeed having a son who will be 11 this year I cant imagine being out at midnight with him on a school night.

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

any idea which narrows? Lighthouse Point (right by gravenhurst) or much further north near port carling?

Gravenhurst.

1 hour ago, Browing3812 said:

any idea which narrows? Lighthouse Point (right by gravenhurst) or much further north near port carling?

I believe the Narrows @ G'hurst Bay-with the cold weather it had skimmed over last week + some people jump over it leading to people following tracks in the dark! I thought last week that plastic cones/a flashing light might help there!

So sad my boys are 10 &12 and can't imagine:(

Very sad . The survivors are gonna have to live with that decision the rest of their lives. 

16 hours ago, snapper said:

Very sad, but sledding after midnight? Obviously parental guidance was not applied here.

There were adults involved

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=1627265

Sounds like they were from the area so shouldnt the adults not known about the narrows being unsafe?

54 minutes ago, revrnd said:

There were adults involved

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=1627265

Sounds like they were from the area so shouldnt the adults not known about the narrows being unsafe?

In this day and age, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the adults were coaching the kids to skip open water ... seen that before ...

I get a sick, sick feeling whenever I read reports like this. So many, many things went wrong. I'm thinking so many things could have been done to prevent this... better decisions, parenting, safety equipment - floater suits, ice-picks,  EDUCATION. When children are involved they are totally the adults responsibility ! Sadness, frustration, anger, sympathy. What a toxic mix of feelings. I can't stop thinking about the trusting 11 year old child out there in that moment of terror. 

Notwithstanding the bad decisions made out there, if I, as an adult was involved, they would be pulling my body out of there as well if any child was unaccounted for. Strong words but honest thoughts. My sympathies for the family and also for the first responders who dealt with this tragedy.

Archived