Westway Motel - Cochrane

revrnd

oops

Edited by white dragon

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, white dragon said:
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:21 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The end result is that if you don't like our way of doing business you are welcome to go elsewhere."

.In the 6 hrs it takes to get there from orillia,u can get to many better sledding areas & we do.

1504582836_cwhatyoursayin.jpg.c5f0ee830f4aa6ed3aaf3cdc201126bc.jpg

On 3/29/2019 at 7:31 AM, white dragon said:

looks like revrnd got one of the renovated rooms,last time we stayed there we were in the 70s room.Love the way the owners walk around in morning counting all the empties the cleaners put out.Asked to borrow cork screw once,needed deposit.Place sucks,ice hut sucks unless you have biggest group in place.Otherwise u are on back burner.Trails are poker straight,but well kept because of it.Chinese food place is ok.polaris dealer is also handy.We usually unload in Cochrane then get the hell outta there,at least to kap or further up the line.Would  love to see nai back in the game.In the 6 hrs it takes to get there from orillia,u can get to many better sledding areas & we do.

X2... tell me about the cork screw lol.. to each there own but there’s so many km’s of trails out there than just Cochrane. 

We are here now. Staying here for first time. Stayed Friday night Swan castle best western. Not my type of place. I like being ground level and having easy access to everything. Sleds/ truck/trailer. I so far have enjoyed our stay..... anyone ever stayed at the chimo down the road? See they advertise having a kitchenette. 

10 hours ago, T bird said:

We are here now. Staying here for first time. Stayed Friday night Swan castle best western. Not my type of place. I like being ground level and having easy access to everything. Sleds/ truck/trailer. I so far have enjoyed our stay..... anyone ever stayed at the chimo down the road? See they advertise having a kitchenette. 

I have not personally stayed there, but reports from friends say, "Don't do it!"

Quite a few years ago, we paid $70 for a $30 room.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

I have not personally stayed there, but reports from friends say, "Don't do it!"

The Chimo has been a 'no go' since I've been sledding up north (2000). I dont think Ive read anyone posting about staying there even in an emergency.

You could always check out the moose hotel in Smooth Rock Falls.  Stayed there for the first time Saturday night and ended up getting a room that wasn't even cleaned and had a dirty needle sitting in the ashtray out front of the room while little kids ran around.  Told the owner about this and he just said oh we thought that room did get cleaned, not sure how that happened, here take room 25.  Also told him about the dirty needle and showed him pics and asked if he would go and take care of that but he never did.

• Sad 2

57 minutes ago, yamaha06 said:

You could always check out the moose hotel in Smooth Rock Falls.  Stayed there for the first time Saturday night and ended up getting a room that wasn't even cleaned and had a dirty needle sitting in the ashtray out front of the room while little kids ran around.  Told the owner about this and he just said oh we thought that room did get cleaned, not sure how that happened, here take room 25.  Also told him about the dirty needle and showed him pics and asked if he would go and take care of that but he never did.

:shock:

OMG!

I read some posts last winter about the Moose Motel & the comments were 'so so' about it.

The Previous manager at the Thriftlodge is now working at the Norhern Gate Motel across the street, personally never stayed there but have spoken with Jay and they are renovating it and plans for a heated garage for next year to be open, I believe they are rebranding it to a Travelodge for next winter and adding a bunch of rooms. Rumour also has it that Terry's at the Thriftlodge will be closed and turned into additional motel rooms. Will be interesting to see the changes for next year with the new Holiday Inn opening up by the Canadian Tire bar.  Westway is still the best place in my opinion to stay though, good to have choices and more rooms on those busy weeks for them up there.

Intersting to hear Nunz. I like staying at the Westway too but i do wish they had a heated garage. That might be enough for me try out a new place. 

5 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

Intersting to hear Nunz. I like staying at the Westway too but i do wish they had a heated garage. That might be enough for me try out a new place. 

I thought there was enough hot air from the gooned-up tourists to keep the sleds warm ... :Drinking2:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

I thought there was enough hot air from the gooned-up tourists to keep the sleds warm ... :Drinking2:

When we were there in Feb' I thought the 1 crew was going to sleep on their sleds they spent so much time outside.

42 minutes ago, revrnd said:

When we were there in Feb' I thought the 1 crew was going to sleep on their sleds they spent so much time outside.

Tough bastages... 30-something below.... they looked pretty impressive wrapping the emergency starr rope around their clutches :icon_hyper:

• Haha 1

Just wondering , what's wrong with Chimo. I haven't stayed there in the last two winters, but have many times in previous 

years. The rooms were clean, they had updated some rooms and have a heated garage for a extra ten dollars. The one night in 2015

It was -50, no way sleds would  have  started without it. What am I missing? 

On 4/1/2019 at 1:52 PM, Nunz said:

The Previous manager at the Thriftlodge is now working at the Norhern Gate Motel across the street, personally never stayed there but have spoken with Jay and they are renovating it and plans for a heated garage for next year to be open, I believe they are rebranding it to a Travelodge for next winter and adding a bunch of rooms. Rumour also has it that Terry's at the Thriftlodge will be closed and turned into additional motel rooms. Will be interesting to see the changes for next year with the new Holiday Inn opening up by the Canadian Tire bar.  Westway is still the best place in my opinion to stay though, good to have choices and more rooms on those busy weeks for them up there.

We stayed at Northern Gate for a couple of nights last year when everything else was full. Jay set us up through thrift lodge , rooms were freshly renovated and clean , only downside was the "guest" in the next room was down from the bay visiting...........fighting with himself, taxi  came 2 or 3 times bringing more refreshments. Hopefully they open a restaurant on site as crossing the highway to get to Terry's was not much fun at -25.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, tireless said:

Just wondering , what's wrong with Chimo. I haven't stayed there in the last two winters, but have many times in previous 

years. The rooms were clean, they had updated some rooms and have a heated garage for a extra ten dollars. The one night in 2015

It was -50, no way sleds would  have  started without it. What am I missing? 

It had a pretty bad reputation long ago, but I believe things are better now according to internet reviews. Have not stayed there myself - usually to Kap - but would probably try it. Rooms look roomy enough and comes with fridge and microwave.

Last year on my home from our Kap' adventure, I spent some time in Cochrane doing some GPSing. Yes there was snow in the area but I could see where the bare pavement @ the Best Western & Station Inns could be problematic. How far are these 2 lodgings from the trails?