Westway Motel - Cochrane

revrnd

I had never stayed @ the Westway in the past while in Cochrane. I know over the years sledders here have said that this is their go to accommodation.

1100571108_20190221_201726WestwayMotel-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.0f4f094cb3ae3cd6149cca2bf6ca7b9a.jpg

2006138810_20190221_201743WestwayMotel-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.7b686fa6786cc0ae3eba8ae04154c95a.jpg

825150599_20190221_201642WestwayMotel-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.4e521fadb8bb32b50a054f0cbcaf0340.jpg

93748399_20190221_201648WestwayMotel-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.b6ff3d046b711ec08c8afc24dddb119c.jpg

1390580493_20190221_201809WestwayMotel-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.aa1ede738d36c01d6815dbd4ff5caf32.jpg

1552585586_20190221_201830WestwayMotel-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.5dc907ce580dd90fbe8989b16a64cbf0.jpg

• Like 1

Our go too place to stay in Cochrane.  Headed there yet again next Friday.  Brian and Kathy are big club supporters,  and amazing people to boot. We will not stay anywhere else. Feels like home away from home now..

We have enjoyed getting to know them really well over the years, and always enjoy our time spent there..

• Like 2

After Lillibelle went away we have stayed exclusively at Westway.  Very convenient location and just a short stagger to JR's.  Always very clean and everything works.  It's been great to see the reinvestment Brian and Kathy continue to make with the renovations of the older rooms, etc.  At times the weather has screwed up our plans, but they have always been fair and gracious with cancellations.  Lots of parking and it's orderly and safe.  Not unusual to see the OPP cruise thru, and that's OK with us.

There was talk of a new 'big box' hotel/motel coming to Cochrane.  Don't think Westway has anything to worry about.  We'll gladly continue to support  'mom and pop'.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whits-end said:

After Lillibelle went away we have stayed exclusively at Westway.

Lillabelle was where we stayed as well. Stayed @ the Thriftlodge once when our plans changed & Lillabelle was full.

• 3 weeks later...

I stayed at the Westway for the first time last year.  Arrived at 5:45 by sled and asked Brian how to get to the beer store.  He said it closes in 15 minutes, hop in my truck and I’ll take you there now.

It is service like this that will keep me coming back.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fergie said:

I stayed at the Westway for the first time last year.  Arrived at 5:45 by sled and asked Brian how to get to the beer store.  He said it closes in 15 minutes, hop in my truck and I’ll take you there now.

It is service like this that will keep me coming back.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. They are great people. Heading there Thursday night...

Is there any special snowmobile rates for Westway?  Have always stayed at the Thriftlodge.  

I stayed there last year when I met SJ, IQ, GoBills etc in February.  Looks like Revrnd stole my photos, might have been the same room.  Having never needed a room in Cochrane before, I was very impressed with the general state and cleanliness of the room.  Especially when you consider that it's a privately owned motel, not a chain.  The fact that they're club supporters just buries the nail, there's no decision to be made for us, if we need a room in Cochrane, that's where we're gonna go.

36 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Its called their regular rate..B)

Ya alright.  Just asking, some places charge different rates during the week or if you book more then two nights.  

The pink cloth in the bathroom photo, tucked in the corner, is for snowmobile or motorcycle wipe downs, how many places offer that level of detail or thought to sledder - so please use it and NOT their white stuff.

Our groups goto place in Cochrane. Since Gaspe was a bust for me this year, back to Northern Ontario next year, and back to the Westway.

They also have hair dryers for the Yamaha Sleds who haven't upgraded to solid state solnoid to avoid cold weather no starts.

• Haha 1

The Ash Grove in Barrys Bay provides a couple of towels beside the door for sledders when we stayed there in Feb'.

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

The pink cloth in the bathroom photo, tucked in the corner, is for snowmobile or motorcycle wipe downs, how many places offer that level of detail or thought to sledder - so please use it and NOT their white stuff.

Our groups goto place in Cochrane. Since Gaspe was a bust for me this year, back to Northern Ontario next year, and back to the Westway.

They also have hair dryers for the Yamaha Sleds who haven't upgraded to solid state solnoid to avoid cold weather no starts.

I agree. Our go to place..

It sure would be nice to find an alternative. There is not a snowmobile destination in Quebec that does not have food/bar on site. Even a ding dang Comfort Inn. The loss of places like lillebelle and nai is a shame. Cochrane is a wasteland when it comes to full service places to stay.  When on a saddle bag trip my idea of breakfast is a full highway diner breakfast in the establishment I’ll staying.  This “great place; and you only have to walk a few minutes to Timmies for breakfast” is not attractive to us at all. First of all, Timmies doesn’t serve breakfast. And, secondly, a place we’re staying will have a restaurant.  There are plenty of destinations within the same trailering time from me that offer stellar trails and the types of accommodations we prefer.  

7 hours ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

It sure would be nice to find an alternative. There is not a snowmobile destination in Quebec that does not have food/bar on site. Even a ding dang Comfort Inn. The loss of places like lillebelle and nai is a shame. Cochrane is a wasteland when it comes to full service places to stay.  When on a saddle bag trip my idea of breakfast is a full highway diner breakfast in the establishment I’ll staying.  This “great place; and you only have to walk a few minutes to Timmies for breakfast” is not attractive to us at all. First of all, Timmies doesn’t serve breakfast. And, secondly, a place we’re staying will have a restaurant.  There are plenty of destinations within the same trailering time from me that offer stellar trails and the types of accommodations we prefer.  

I have to agree.  Cochrane is even getting hard to find restaurants that are open.  Brian was mentioning that a lot of them close when they are not busy ?  Tried to order a pizza Tuesday night and there was no answer at any of the numbers.  Finally ordered a pizza from JR's.  Not bad.

Terry's was closed when we went there for lunch on Monday.

The only place that is close to full service is the Thriftlodge (such as it is) as it has Terry's onsite.  But with the 'flexible' hours, I don't know how long that will survive.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

I have to agree.  Cochrane is even getting hard to find restaurants that are open.  Brian was mentioning that a lot of them close when they are not busy ?  Tried to order a pizza Tuesday night and there was no answer at any of the numbers.  Finally ordered a pizza from JR's.  Not bad.

The only place that is close to full service is the Thriftlodge (such as it is) as it has Terry's onsite.  But with the 'flexible' hours, I don't know how long that will survive.

Realistically even Cochrane is now starting into the offseason. Businesses no matter what they sell or where they are located cannot afford to stay open if there is not sufficient revenue coming in to pay the expenses.  Even in communities that are not tourism dependant restaurants and fast food joints shorten hours as necessary to survive. We live close to a small village that is basically a bedroom community of Kitchener Waterloo. The local pizza joint closes on Mondays because there is not enough business to justify being open.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sledjunk said:

ice hut even choses only deep fried stuff after 730/8, even after 10 sledders walk through the door! 

On 3/19/2019 at 8:34 AM, IQ TURBO said:

Wifi works good for me...

It worked too well for you; you showed me your browsing history :o

18 hours ago, sledjunk said:

This even holds true during the prime snowmobile season. Try to get a beer after 10 pm on a weeknight.Not gonna happen now that Thib's is closed. Much less order pizza. Apparently us sledders don't bring in enough cash......

15 hours ago, diesel04 said:

ice hut even choses only deep fried stuff after 730/8, even after 10 sledders walk through the door! 

Don't try to drink there after 10. Even after your group has spent several hundred $ eating there.

looks like revrnd got one of the renovated rooms,last time we stayed there we were in the 70s room.Love the way the owners walk around in morning counting all the empties the cleaners put out.Asked to borrow cork screw once,needed deposit.Place sucks,ice hut sucks unless you have biggest group in place.Otherwise u are on back burner.Trails are poker straight,but well kept because of it.Chinese food place is ok.polaris dealer is also handy.We usually unload in Cochrane then get the hell outta there,at least to kap or further up the line.Would  love to see nai back in the game.In the 6 hrs it takes to get there from orillia,u can get to many better sledding areas & we do.

• Like 1

But what do you really think? LOL 

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, white dragon said:

looks like revrnd got one of the renovated rooms,last time we stayed there we were in the 70s room.Love the way the owners walk around in morning counting all the empties the cleaners put out.Asked to borrow cork screw once,needed deposit.Place sucks,ice hut sucks unless you have biggest group in place.Otherwise u are on back burner.Trails are poker straight,but well kept because of it.Chinese food place is ok.polaris dealer is also handy.We usually unload in Cochrane then get the hell outta there,at least to kap or further up the line.Would  love to see nai back in the game.In the 6 hrs it takes to get there from orillia,u can get to many better sledding areas & we do.

We have never stayed in a renovated room however the rooms we have stayed in were all very clean and well kept. The owners have always been great to get along with and willing to accommodate changes on short notice. The location in relation to other businesses we use like dealership / Timmies / fuel / fast food is great. Parking the sleds right outside the door is a bonus as well as having the inside hall for visiting. Full service restaurants require a short walk or a taxi but neither is an issue for our group of 4 old guys. 

Your concern about the deposit on the corkscrew reminds me of what the owner of a 900 site trailer park /campground at Sauble Beach said when a customer was telling him that his rules sucked, "We've been running this place for 46 years and during that time we've figured out what works and what doesn't for us. The end result is that if you don't like our way of doing business you are welcome to go elsewhere."

• Like 4