HWY 407 Ticket

Diceman

20 minutes ago, Diceman said:

thanks for info...had no idea it was that cheap...do they just send it to your home address?

Yes.

13 hours ago, Canadoo said:

Also known as stealing

Not my fault their system isn't capable of capturing my legally placed and clearly visible plate. I am not obstructing it. It just happens that their cameras can't see it but anyone following in any vehicle can see it. Are you suggesting I am a thief because I tow my legal boat trailer and boat with a legal plate and you say I'm a thief?

On 2/28/2019 at 11:31 PM, Canadoo said:

Why not just get a transponder?   Pays for itself after a few trips.   I have 1 and use it in multiple vehicles, with only 1 plate registered.    Taken the 407 at least a hundred times with sled in the back.  

I'd re-check that if I were you.

You can not use the transponder for multiple vehicles! Each vehicle must have it's own transponder.

How do I know?

I have 3 vehicles and 2 transponders. One of my trucks is used on the 407 maybe twice a year, so I used to grab a transponder from one of the others when needed.

About 2 years ago I got a bill from 407 for the vehicle that I "borrowed" the transponder for, including camera fees. When I called to find out why, they said it was because the plate on the truck did not match the one that the transponder was registered with, and that you can not use a transponder in multiple vehicles.

6 hours ago, Bigfish said:

You can not use the transponder for multiple vehicles! Each vehicle must have it's own transponder.

How do I know?

I have 3 vehicles and 2 transponders. One of my trucks is used on the 407 maybe twice a year, so I used to grab a transponder from one of the others when needed.

About 2 years ago I got a bill from 407 for the vehicle that I "borrowed" the transponder for, including camera fees. When I called to find out why, they said it was because the plate on the truck did not match the one that the transponder was registered with, and that you can not use a transponder in multiple vehicles.

I don't believe that is correct.

I have both of my vehicles registered on my one Transponder account.

You cannot register a vehicle that you don't own.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:58 PM, 02Sled said:

Not my fault their system isn't capable of capturing my legally placed and clearly visible plate. I am not obstructing it. It just happens that their cameras can't see it but anyone following in any vehicle can see it. Are you suggesting I am a thief because I tow my legal boat trailer and boat with a legal plate and you say I'm a thief?

yes....:coffeenose:

6 hours ago, Bigfish said:

How do I know?

That is odd, like noted below, at some point I recall adding more plates to my account due to bills I was getting when the scanner missed my transponder but captured the plate instead.

I also semi regularity take the wife's vehicle on the 407, in which case I bring my transponder with me....and come to think of it, I have gave my transponder to my sister to use the 407 with her van a couple of times, that I was billed for.

4 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

I don't believe that is correct.

I have both of my vehicles registered on my one Transponder account.

You cannot register a vehicle that you don't own.

7 minutes ago, stoney said:

yes....:coffeenose:

So what would you suggest I do differently? I can't move the trailer plate. It wouldn't be legal. Would you suggest I drill holes in the boat to screw it to the swim platform which is part of the hull? If they sent me a bill I would pay it. Something tells me that if you used the road and didn't get a bill you wouldn't be calling them up insisting they charge you for the trip.

8 hours ago, Bigfish said:

How do I know?

That's not true.  The said the same to me and I asked what do I do went I rent a vehicle and drive it on the 407.  They said take your transponder in that case.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

So what would you suggest I do differently? I can't move the trailer plate. It wouldn't be legal. Would you suggest I drill holes in the boat to screw it to the swim platform which is part of the hull? If they sent me a bill I would pay it. Something tells me that if you used the road and didn't get a bill you wouldn't be calling them up insisting they charge you for the trip.

My sister from Pittsburgh uses the 407 when she visits and never gets billed. I don't consider her a thief, like you she's doing nothing illegal.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I am not the one that suggested you were stealing.....but that was a sarcastic "yes" on my part :sarcasm_on-1:

I would do nothing about your scenario either, it is not something you are doing on purpose....

However, it would be mighty nice of you to relocate that plate, I really like your idea of securing it to the swim platform or perhaps right onto the haul or get yourself a transponder. 

I do not think the scanners/camera pick up the plates if they are mounted up high on the trailers either......my sled trailer is that way and I am pretty sure my old car trailer was as well, & I do not recall getting charged when I used to take the 407 to TMP with that trailer come to think if it.

I just checked ETR407 and I may be incorrect although I have never had an issue switching Transponder between my 2 vehicles.  

They waffle in their directions as “we recommend ....”

here is their FAQ

FAQ

I drive one car in winter and another in summer - do I need two transponders? 

We recommend having two transponders. Most people who have a summer vehicle tend to drive both vehicles in summer depending on the number of passengers, distance and weather. In order to avoid Camera Charges, we urge you to get a second transponder for the summer car and consolidate your accounts to save 50% off the additional transponder lease

FAQ

Can I use my transponder in more than one vehicle?

Customers must not share a transponder between vehicles, including rental vehicles. This violates 407 ETR’s transponder lease terms and may result in additional fees being charged to you, including Camera Charges. Instead, please lease a separate transponder for each vehicle that you plan to use on the toll highway.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:31 AM, Bigfish said:

How do I know?

Been doing it since about 2004.  Think I'm good!

You just haven't been caught yet, see the post above yours.

16 years and nothing yet...  For the handful of times I use other vehicles, I'll take my chances. I'd bet any money your transponder didn't register during your trip so it used the plate.  

Not like I'm getting away without paying or anything...

Transponders are not available to NON-Residents for some reason.Also heard they are ticketing guys with trailers and fining for sleds that are not securely fastened down on 4 points. What next?

6 minutes ago, polarispete said:

Transponders are not available to NON-Residents for some reason.Also heard they are ticketing guys with trailers and fining for sleds that are not securely fastened down on 4 points. What next?

I don't think non-residents need transponders because I read somewhere that the 407 doesn't bill non-residents

5 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I don't think non-residents need transponders because I read somewhere that the 407 doesn't bill non-residents

Yes they do.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:44 PM, bbakernbay said:

I just checked ETR407 and I may be incorrect although I have never had an issue switching Transponder between my 2 vehicles.  

They waffle in their directions as “we recommend ....”

here is their FAQ

FAQ

I drive one car in winter and another in summer - do I need two transponders? 

We recommend having two transponders. Most people who have a summer vehicle tend to drive both vehicles in summer depending on the number of passengers, distance and weather. In order to avoid Camera Charges, we urge you to get a second transponder for the summer car and consolidate your accounts to save 50% off the additional transponder lease

FAQ

Can I use my transponder in more than one vehicle?

Customers must not share a transponder between vehicles, including rental vehicles. This violates 407 ETR’s transponder lease terms and may result in additional fees being charged to you, including Camera Charges. Instead, please lease a separate transponder for each vehicle that you plan to use on the toll highway.

I rent cars all the time when I travel away (several hours) to see customers and use my personal transponder when on the 407. 

The 407 fees are very high if leaving it to the rental company esp admin charges.  Never been an issue and quite frankly I really don't care what 407 or the rental co's think.  

Rentals don't have transponders to use unlike our US counter parts, so its just a dirty cash grab. 

34 minutes ago, polarispete said:

On the way home from Sudbury two weeks ago, one in our group got stopped by OPP west of Woodstock and fined $245 for no yellow sticker on his twin axle, electric brake trailer.

I have been seeing lots of trailers this size on the 401 in the past two weeks and I don't see a lot of yellow stickers on the trailers or the trucks.  Could be expensive.

My trailer has the plate under the deck behind the left wheel where the camera cannot see it.  No bills.  I am afraid of the OPP stopping me for that though.

I always have my sleds tied down on four corners.

48 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yes they do.

You are correct. My bad although I'm still sure I read something about it in the past and it was likely to do with out of country heavy trucks,

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You are correct. My bad although I'm still sure I read something about it in the past and it was likely to do with out of country heavy trucks,

I believe there were or still are cars from some states that are not billed.  It used to be some specific states.  But if they can, they will bill.

Archived