Cochrane Bound This Weekend

carman80

We are leaving the GTA Friday at 8am. We are taking part in the 600km endurance ride Saturday. Any OCers going to be up there this weekend? Anyone else taking part in the Canuck Powersports Great Northern Expedition? 

Where are the best places to eat in Cochrane? I have only been to JR’s and the Harvey’s/Swiss Chalet.

47 minutes ago, carman80 said:

We are leaving the GTA Friday at 8am. We are taking part in the 600km endurance ride Saturday. Any OCers going to be up there this weekend? Anyone else taking part in the Canuck Powersports Great Northern Expedition? 

Where are the best places to eat in Cochrane? I have only been to JR’s and the Harvey’s/Swiss Chalet.

you gotta eat at Terry's at the Thriftlodge, love that place, coconut cream pie is wicked!! Have a fun time!! I heard that Sean Paul and Randy have all bailed on you guys... that sucks.

Can any one give me the route they are using so I can avoid all the traffic{ and the expert racers }

Thanks

1 hour ago, carman80 said:

We eat at the Ice hut when we are in Cochrane.. 

32 minutes ago, tireless said:

Can any one give me the route they are using so I can avoid all the traffic{ and the expert racers }

Thanks

Just come to Kap and ride west....

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

you gotta eat at Terry's at the Thriftlodge, love that place, coconut cream pie is wicked!! Have a fun time!! I heard that Sean Paul and Randy have all bailed on you guys... that sucks.

When we were there in mid January, Terry's was open from 4:30-8pm.  Didn't leave much time for us to eat and had to go find breakfast somewhere else unfortunately

2 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

When we were there in mid January, Terry's was open from 4:30-8pm.  Didn't leave much time for us to eat and had to go find breakfast somewhere else unfortunately

Floods Landing!! Gotta try it and take my word for it. I heard that the Thriftlodge has been recently sold and the Manager Jay is no longer there, When we stayed there on New Years the rooms were very cold, heat not working, the rooms smelled of stale smoke and the mattresses were garbage, Westway is our go to place as it should have been all along.

11 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Floods Landing!! Gotta try it and take my word for it. I heard that the Thriftlodge has been recently sold and the Manager Jay is no longer there, When we stayed there on New Years the rooms were very cold, heat not working, the rooms smelled of stale smoke and the mattresses were garbage, Westway is our go to place as it should have been all along.

Interesting, didn't know he sold.  We couldn't get our room above 15c but thought it was because the temp outside was -40.  I think we will be trying a different spot now as well.  From what I hear, the Westway is the best way

6 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Interesting, didn't know he sold.  We couldn't get our room above 15c but thought it was because the temp outside was -40.  I think we will be trying a different spot now as well.  From what I hear, the Westway is the best way

We had to put 2 space heaters in our room, was freezing in there, was not impressed that week with them, and good luck reserving a time for the hottub, 5 days and we couldn't get in once. Brian from the Westway is a big club supporter and he will get our business in the future in Cochrane.

39 minutes ago, Nunz said:

We had to put 2 space heaters in our room, was freezing in there, was not impressed that week with them, and good luck reserving a time for the hottub, 5 days and we couldn't get in once. Brian from the Westway is a big club supporter and he will get our business in the future in Cochrane.

Luckily when we were there we were pretty much the only ones but the water in the hot tub looked like it hadn't been changed since the new year.  From what I've heard, Jay bought the place across the highway from the thrift.  The FIL's buddy had a space heater going full bore in their room.  

Yah had to use space heater as well in January at Thiftlodge very cold in room sleep with all my clothes on!

But Jay was a good guy.

2 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Just come to Kap and ride west....

Ok Thanks

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

you gotta eat at Terry's, coconut cream pie is wicked!!

Indeed.

I definitely wouldn't recommend Terry's.  We have always stayed at the Thriftlodge and ate there.  Called Terry's on the Saturday of the Family Day weekend as we were arriving in Cochrane on Family Day, asked if they would be open and they said they would be open for dinner.  Arrived in Cochrane at 4:30pm and place is closed, with a not on the door saying they were closed for Family Day and would re-open on Tuesday at 8a.m.  Was not impressed, went and talked to the owner at the Thirftlodge and said they were closed because of Family Day, even though I had called on the Saturday and was told they would be open.  So had to get all geared back up and jump on the sleds and run into Cochrane to go to the Ice Hut Bar and Grill. food was awesome there, would definitely recommend this place.

Next morning get up early, head over to Terrys for 8am and the place is dark, wait around in the room until 8:30 and place was still not open.  Went back into Thriftlodge lobby and was told by the owner this time that Terry's would not be open today because they were open Yesterday for Family Day and were taking today off even though they were closed Family Day and the sign said they would be open on the Tuesday.  Ended up skipping breakfast and just headed out on our canyon ride and had a $5.00 hot dog instead!!

So will definitely be looking for a new place to stay in Cochrane.  Have always just gone to the Thriftlodge as it was cheap for a room to sleep in and food use to be convenient. 

7 hours ago, Nunz said:

The usual last minute bail out, it always happens. So Terry's is not good anymore because of new management?

We are looking forward to hosting our first of many events.  Thank you to all of those that have registered so far.  There is still time to register at www.canuckpowersports.com or we are doing a last minute check-in and registration here at the Best Western on Friday from 7-9pm.  Special room rates at the Best Western for the event. $125 + tax per night.  Mention that you are here for the Great Northern Expedition endurance snowmobile ride when calling the front desk.  Routes for both 400km and 600km loops are available on the Canuck Powersports Facebook page.  Riders will receive a detailed map upon check-in with checkpoints, highlighted route and gas locations.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, raising money for the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Foundation and an enjoyable day on the trails.

Ryan Hawkins

Canuck Powersports

7 hours ago, Canuck Powersports said:

We are looking forward to hosting our first of many events.  Thank you to all of those that have registered so far.  There is still time to register at www.canuckpowersports.com or we are doing a last minute check-in and registration here at the Best Western on Friday from 7-9pm.  Special room rates at the Best Western for the event. $125 + tax per night.  Mention that you are here for the Great Northern Expedition endurance snowmobile ride when calling the front desk.  Routes for both 400km and 600km loops are available on the Canuck Powersports Facebook page.  Riders will receive a detailed map upon check-in with checkpoints, highlighted route and gas locations.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, raising money for the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Foundation and an enjoyable day on the trails.

Ryan Hawkins

Canuck Powersports

Seems like it could be a fun event, but i feel sorry for any unsuspecting riders that may be pleasure riding while people are racing to the checkpoints.  May not be the best idea for a public trail, but i hope it works out and people ride safe. 

Still sounds like a race to me, and i think people will treat it as so.   Maybe these trails/routes should be running the trails in one direction with marshals at the intersections making sure nobody encounters head on traffic. 

2 hours ago, snowman said:

Seems like it could be a fun event, but i feel sorry for any unsuspecting riders that may be pleasure riding while people are racing to the checkpoints.  May not be the best idea for a public trail, but i hope it works out and people ride safe. 

Still sounds like a race to me, and i think people will treat it as so.   Maybe these trails/routes should be running the trails in one direction with marshals at the intersections making sure nobody encounters head on traffic. 

I really wouldn't anticipate any difference from how visitors normally ride our trails. Stay to the right. 

Arctic Riders of Smooth Rock Falls/Fauquier are also hosting a Poker Rally on the 2nd.

11 hours ago, snowman said:

Thanks for your input snowman.  We have advertised this event as a ride and not a race right from day one.  Guys will ride how they are going to ride regardless if it is and event, pleasure riding, poker run etc.  Staying to the right and riding safely is absolutely correct.  Hosting a unique event like this will challenge riders to keep a steady pace throughout the day.  In the end the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Foundation will be benefiting and the riders will leave with a great experience, along with some amazing prizes.  Hopefully we will see you next year snowman.  Ride safe!!

We stayed at the Thriftlodge Thursday-Monday this passed week. Beds were decent and we had to turn the heat down because it was too warm. 

Terrys had great food and we ended up there for breakfast every morning and once for lunch. 

We ate at the Ice Box last year but this year went for lunch and it didn't open until 5pm I think (on a Sunday).

The cook actually was talking to us and recommended we try Floods Landing for homemade soup and drink. What a beautiful spot! We will be staying there next year for sure!

Archived