Diesel in gas

andreyboater

During my last trip I put 3 liters of diesel in my wife's sled Renegade 600ace accidently, Diesel and Supreme was on same pump and gun wasn't marked yellow. It was 15 sled around for gas and I was in a rush when I took available gun. That silly mistake cost me 2 hours to take gas out of sled.  Just wonder how much diesel can hurt gasoline engine and what's amount is critical? I put 3 liters in 40l tank, but I didn't take a chance to fire up engine, as we were planning to do Canyon next day and last thing I want it stuck there with broken engine. 

For the little you put in I can't see it hurting the motor.  Diesel in a gas engine is better than gas in a diesel.  

Best that you drained it, but it is much worse to add gas to a diesel engine vs. diesel to gas.

Your sled would have likely went into limp mode when it detected a lack of combustion from the bad gas you had in their that it was trying to ignite.

I almost did it once, it was a shared pump, I had the diesel gun in my sled tank but I was pushing the gas button on the pump and nothing was working when I pulled the trigger....soon realized why nothing was working and that I almost made a much bigger mistake!  

if you didnt start it, and drained it best possible, then refilled with fresh gasoline, you will be fine. think of it like adding some injection oil for break in... not going to hurt a thing.

even if you started it but, didnt ride it (far), the fuel line and rail, would have still had straight gas in it. you will be fine.

i actually was putting injection oil in my gmc sierra at a rate of 1 oz, per 5 gallons of fuel, its entire time it was with me (9 years). (5.3 litre thing). never had an issue. ski

The problem is diesel has an octane rating of like 25-40. So if you pumped 4 litres into you 40 litre tank, you've now lowered your octane by around 5. Could easily cause issues, and that is only if it's full mixed. Diesel is heavier then gas and will sit at the bottom of your tank. 

4 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

The problem is diesel has an octane rating of like 25-40. So if you pumped 4 litres into you 40 litre tank, you've now lowered your octane by around 5. Could easily cause issues, and that is only if it's full mixed. Diesel is heavier then gas and will sit at the bottom of your tank. 

That's exactly right explanation. Thanks

I found this one shows exactly what's damage can be done

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/accidentally-mixing-gasoline-and-diesel-fuel

Looks like 10% more then enough to damage your engine

When I was a teen, a guy I knew worked on a farm and used to steal fuel for his pick up once in a while. One time he stole 20 liters of diesel and dumped it a half full tank. That old chevy ran like crap but he drove it until he burned up half a tank and refilled with gas again. No damage.

Put some in my Honda ATV - would not run - WB fixed me up.   He said to me .....I didn't know Honda made a Diesel ATV.....LOL!  

5 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Wow. 0 for 2.

Diesel does not have an octane rating.  Diesel has a cetane rating. 

Diesel and gas mixture form a solution and do not separate. 

(this is why you don't believe everything you read on the interweb.)

33 minutes ago, AceRacer said:

Wow. 0 for 2.

Diesel does not have an octane rating.  Diesel has a cetane rating. 

Diesel and gas mixture form a solution and do not separate. 

(this is why you don't believe everything you read on the interweb.)

Ok. Giver a shot on your sled and let us know how it goes

At least it was only 3l.

I know of a sled that got 5 gallons of it.

It was towed home.

In Ireland a few years ago, I had a small rental car with diesel motor. Not thinking, I put about 40 L of gas into the 55 L tank at a fill. I didn't realize the mistake until a Km later when the car wouldn't restart after grabbing a bite to eat. It did not set a CEL but it did flash 'octane error', or something like that. crap!! I disconnected the battery, reconnected and it fired up. I had to drive to the airport that evening so didn't shut the engine off again until I burned about 3/4 of the tank. Refilled with premium and it ran fine after that. And, it never set a CEL thru the whole trip. However, when doing 120kph on the motorway, the power was surging up and down pretty erratically, like it was momentarily stalling, LOL. Thank God for electronic fuel/ignition control.  

Archived