Timmins Hotels

RAMSOMAIR

Headed to Timmins as usual during March Break. We usually stay at the Cedar Meadows as its a nice place, good clean rooms, lots of secure parking and right on the trail.

Never had any issues, just looking at other options. I noticed that the Microtel is almost on the trail near the Esso at the west end of town. Has anyone stayed there with and comments?

55 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Headed to Timmins as usual during March Break. We usually stay at the Cedar Meadows as its a nice place, good clean rooms, lots of secure parking and right on the trail.

Never had any issues, just looking at other options. I noticed that the Microtel is almost on the trail near the Esso at the west end of town. Has anyone stayed there with and comments?

Yes it's really nice with a pool and hot tub. No parking at your door and can be a pain if you have luggage and get the 2nd floor. 

We stayed at the bon air this year and it had decent rooms with front door parking for sleds and Mike's and wacky wings an easy 2 minute walk. 

Have stayed the last couple years at the comfort inn and was always reasonably priced.  Just stayed there last week one night and it end up costing us $170, which didn’t really seem worth it since the room seemed smaller also.  Would also be interested in places to stay in the area!

Super 8.  Trail behind the motel. Casey's beside and gas down the service trail to the west.

Seems the northern Comfort Inns have become too expensive.  Stayed at CI in Kirkland Lake last year for the last time.  Too expensive and no hot breakfast for several days.  Seemed like no one really cared.  Too much business I guess.  Stayed there many times on business over the years and was one of 2 or 3 guests in the place at times.

Back on point:  Agree Super 8 looks convenient.  No need to cross the highway.

Thanks for the input guys. Cedar Meadows is asking $151/night this year and frankly their rooms are small and getting a bit dated. I can get into the Microtel with 2 queen beds for $90.

10 hours ago, reevester said:

Yes it's really nice with a pool and hot tub. No parking at your door and can be a pain if you have luggage and get the 2nd floor. 

We stayed at the bon air this year and it had decent rooms with front door parking for sleds and Mike's and wacky wings an easy 2 minute walk. 

X2 on the Bonair, I would have no problem staying there in the future. We treated ourselves to a Suite the last couple of days we were there, nice hot tub in the suite and sitting area. Well worth the extra 50 bucks after a long day sledding.

Microtel is on the trail. Stayed there with the GF last year. She liked it. If u can book on the 1st floor u can park sleds out your window. Continental breakfast was good. We ate dinner at the Ramada next door. Not so great dinner but other options close by. I'd stay there again for sure. 

On 2/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, RAMSOMAIR said:

Thanks for the input guys. Cedar Meadows is asking $151/night this year and frankly their rooms are small and getting a bit dated. I can get into the Microtel with 2 queen beds for $90.

That’s quite the bump!  We paid $110/night just last year. :shock:

On 2/24/2019 at 10:14 PM, reevester said:

On 2/25/2019 at 9:01 AM, Nunz said:

X2 on the Bonair, I would have no problem staying there in the future. We treated ourselves to a Suite the last couple of days we were there, nice hot tub in the suite and sitting area. Well worth the extra 50 bucks after a long day sledding.

The Bon Air was where I stayed last winter after my sled puked east of Timmins. When SJ & irREVerent rescheduled our planned trip they asked me what I thought of it, I told them it was fine w/ the 2 restaurants nearby & gas readily available. As a result we rode 4 days from there. This winter our 1st night 'on the trail' was here. Passing thru we had lunch there.

I was asking Nunz & they do charge $10 a day if you park there & aren't staying.

20190217_171849-CROPPED.thumb.jpg.fc1c8a08e28037b99a9d2bcb2f8754a3.jpg

1833107661_20190217_172052-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.31bb35da93712696ff0d3370be170a16.jpg

1597245164_20190217_173845-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.fa3fd5d1ad144306b78d184ceb2fc15c.jpg

BTW, those looking for their Tim's fix, Timmies is across the street.

For those worried about crossing Algonquin w/ their sled, L24 uses the former railway overpass to go north:

image.png.9647c1a223ecb8bf31d055daf9b8599d.png 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:31 AM, DOM said:

The micro hotel looks good with the pool and hotub

any body stayed there?

Our favorite motel in Timmins.  Good rates, continental breakfast is to our liking. Never stayed there on a sledding trip but it's still our go to motel. 

6 hours ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

That’s quite the bump!  We paid $110/night just last year. :shock:

Turns out that the Microtel is actually $141/night.

Spoke with someone else yesterday at Cedar Meadows and was able to negotiate a deal for double room with F/P for $127/night!

You couldn't make me stay at Cedar Meadows even for free.  They've always been very "uppity" and full of themselves (the staff) since day one.  I love the wagon tour of the park but I'll never spend a night there.

We've also stayed @ the Travelodge on our trips too. Trail accessible & East Side Maroos is adjacent. Fishbowl Restaurant (seafood) is a short walk down Riverside.

In 2012 we got stuck staying @ Cedar Meadows. Not worth the price IMO as a sledder.

We used to always stay at the Travelodge years ago. They used to have a fenced in sled compound and yes ESM was very convenient. Gas could be a challenge down the street sometimes when snow was at a premium. No risk of that this year lol.

Always have been treated well at Cedar Meadows with no compliant's. Large parking area that is very secure and like the fact of easy sled access from the trail or river. Rooms are a bit tight with all the gear but well appointed.

6 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Turns out that the Microtel is actually $141/night.

Spoke with someone else yesterday at Cedar Meadows and was able to negotiate a deal for double room with F/P for $127/night!

Super 8 is $117 per night with continental breakfast.  You have to ask for the snowmobile rate.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:47 AM, Evil said:

Super 8 is $117 per night with continental breakfast.  You have to ask for the snowmobile rate.

I like the fact that Casey's is right next door + Super 8 is very convenient if you coming from / heading north.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived