Franklin Motel North Bay

Dave K

I am looking at a weekend in March with my boys in North Bay or Sudbury.  Has anyone ever stayed at the Franklin Motel in North Bay, and would you stay there again?  I see they are right on the trail on Lake Nippising

38 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

We have never stayed there, but if we were to go to NB, we would most likely stay at either Cedar Gables lodge, or The Dinner Bell, or Camp Conewango..

X2

10 hours ago, Dave K said:

I am looking at a weekend in March with my boys in North Bay or Sudbury.  Has anyone ever stayed at the Franklin Motel in North Bay, and would you stay there again?  I see they are right on the trail on Lake Nippising

What are your criteria? Price? Trail access obviously.

Nipissing Inn - on Lakeshore Drive, right next to trail, relatively inexpensive. No web site , but we stayed there last year for a night and place was clean and well maintained. If interested ask the owner about an apartment size motel room as you have a few folks staying. Some distance from main drag fast food etc. by car, gas for sleds along lake trail trail to the western end then go ashore to a Shell station.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155000-d1390630-Reviews-Nipissing_Inn-North_Bay_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html

Getting north out of that area tends to be shitty trails.

The combination of rough terrain and traffic make for tough going.

41 minutes ago, slomo said:

Nipissing Inn - on Lakeshore Drive, right next to trail, relatively inexpensive. No web site , but we stayed there last year for a night and place was clean and well maintained. If interested ask the owner about an apartment size motel room as you have a few folks staying. Some distance from main drag fast food etc. by car, gas for sleds along lake trail trail to the western end then go ashore to a Shell station.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155000-d1390630-Reviews-Nipissing_Inn-North_Bay_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html

Biggest thing is price, and clean.  I am looking at either Sudbury or N Bay  I know one spot I looked at was $115 pp per night.  Multiply that times 4, ends up being quite pricey.

Moonlight or chateau guy should be cheaper than that.

On 2/23/2019 at 9:10 AM, Dave K said:

Do yourself a favour. Drive a little further to Windy Lake, near Levack on highway 144 northwest of Sudbury. The C111D trail goes right through the Windy Lake Motel parking lot. Excellently maintained trails, no in-town snirt to deal with, and the owners and staff of the motel are excellent. Restaurant on site. Clean and practical accommodation at reasonable price. Not the Holiday Inn, if that is what you are looking for. Oh, and IMHO, much better trails and more selection from there than in the NB area. I just visited both areas the past week. 

On 2/23/2019 at 7:33 PM, slomo said:

Pictures make it look like a nice place to stay. I have seen worse. From the picture of the bathtub it looks to newly tiled and the caulking looks like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing. I have stayed in some places where the caulking looks like it was applied with a butter knife.

Jerry

On 2/23/2019 at 10:01 PM, soupkids said:

Moonlight or chateau guy should be cheaper than that.

But they aren't in North Bay.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:16 PM, Dave K said:

Biggest thing is price, and clean.  I am looking at either Sudbury or N Bay  I know one spot I looked at was $115 pp per night.  Multiply that times 4, ends up being quite pricey.

7 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

But they aren't in North Bay.

Im looking at one of the two towns  Depends on weather and conditions at either one.

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

Im looking at one of the two towns  Depends on weather and conditions at either one.

OK.  If you are considering Sudbury, verify if STP has actually groomed to those two hotels recently.  The trail into those hotels covers rugged areas but when we were there last year, the trail had not been groomed in the past week and there was enough snow to form 3 foot moguls for 20 Km north and 15 Km South of the hotels.  Comments to the club were replied with "we are volunteers".  No mention of groomers down.  My impression is that STP does not service these hotels and does not service Rocky's either.  It is too bad because these businesses draw visitors to the area.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

OK.  If you are considering Sudbury, verify if STP has actually groomed to those two hotels recently.  The trail into those hotels covers rugged areas but when we were there last year, the trail had not been groomed in the past week and there was enough snow to form 3 foot moguls for 20 Km north and 15 Km South of the hotels.  Comments to the club were replied with "we are volunteers".  No mention of groomers down.  My impression is that STP does not service these hotels and does not service Rocky's either.  It is too bad because these businesses draw visitors to the area.

Trust me this has been a major pain in my ass.

Both hotels and Rockies get groomed at lease 2x a week now unless groomer breakdown

17 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Trust me this has been a major pain in my ass.

Both hotels and Rockies get groomed at lease 2x a week now unless groomer breakdown

Good to know.  I know you witnessed our frustration there last year.  Thank you for whatever you did to get this changed.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:16 PM, Dave K said:

Best experiences are at lodges with your own cabin on the lake for 115 per night meals included. Camp Conewango.  Very much like a Quebec experience. Trails are straight long and fast 

Archived