Lakes in Sudbury

Baylaker

How are the lakes in Sudbury right now? I heard some lakes were slushy and guys were getting stuck all over the place. Mainly wondering about Fairbanks & whitewater lakes. Are these lakes staked?

4 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Stuck? What are they riding Bravos??? Lol 

Just out of curiosity, and not knowing where you're from or where you ride, but have you personally been on the lakes around Sudbury ?  Ours are polluted with slush and they have twice the snow we have ... just saying .... 'cause that's a pretty smarta$$ comment if you don't know first hand .... 

My buddy was there this past weekend and said guys were getting stuck up to their bumpers in slush.  He had the kids with him and they were on the back and got pretty wet he said.

23 minutes ago, gobills said:

My buddy was there this past weekend and said guys were getting stuck up to their bumpers in slush.  He had the kids with him and they were on the back and got pretty wet he said.

This just confirms what Ive been hearing, great...thanks jeff

Very true. Lots of slush. We had a lot of snow, then rain/freezing rain a few Sundays ago weighed the ice and snow down causing the water to push up. 

So, there is 6" of snow, a hard crust, then when you break through that it's all slush until you get to ice again. 

Are the Sudbury lakes with staked trails rideable or is it just bad when you get off the beaten path? 

I’m hoping the lakes that are staked are rideable...they should be. 

23 minutes ago, Xfirecat said:

Are the Sudbury lakes with staked trails rideable or is it just bad when you get off the beaten path? 

Rideable but rough,  A lot of people said screw it and started making there own paths beside the staked portions, which of course some spots you ended up stuck.

6 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Multiple reports of stuck snowmobiles on Lake Talon, BF201.

An acquaintance of mine was helping sledders and someone stole his JackAll out of the sleigh when he left it to go back to his cottage.

$125 gone for being a Good Samaritan.

That's brutal.  I hate thieves!

We crossed a few lakes last weekend in the Sudbury area and all that were staked were passable, although most were slushy and all were rough. We did cross Fairbanks and Whitewater.  The exception was Lake Panache, which we crossed and found it to be exceptionally slushy, icy, really rough and should be avoided if at all possible.  

All lakes with trails are marked.

Stick to the picket lines and you will be fine.

All lakes are rough.

33 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Conditions change,do you expect volunteers to go out and remove stakes and get stuck? 

The OFSC ITG is supposed to be the only source of trail conditions and that is why the ITG should be set up with the lake trail portion as a distinct section so that Club/District can quickly update to Red - Unavailable, regardless of the land based trail classification.

Of course a staked trail shown as Yellow or Green should not be taken to give a person the assurance that the entire lake is safe

There is no way a Club can be removing and then re-installing lake corridor markers during the season.

The ITG is the gospel.

9 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

The OFSC ITG is supposed to be the only source of trail conditions and that is why the ITG should be set up with the lake trail portion as a distinct section so that Club/District can quickly update to Red - Unavailable, regardless of the land based trail classification.

Of course a staked trail shown as Yellow or Green should not be taken to give a person the assurance that the entire lake is safe

There is no way a Club can be removing and then re-installing lake corridor markers during the season.

The ITG is the gospel.

Clubs can do that.

We have done it many times in the past.

4 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Just out of curiosity, and not knowing where you're from or where you ride, but have you personally been on the lakes around Sudbury ?  Ours are polluted with slush and they have twice the snow we have ... just saying .... 'cause that's a pretty smarta$$ comment if you don't know first hand .... 

I hear you all the lakes here in the Muskokas are slushing up real fast .no lake running for this guy for abit 

54 minutes ago, gtserider said:

And you have been stuck many times in the past.

Yup I have.

5 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Dennis, I did finish with an lol!

Been stuck many times as a kid with elan's and Enticers in lots of slush. I am just south of Sudbury in Parry Sound and we are starting to get quite a bit of slush on the lakes also. Seem to be able to power through all of it so far.......

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

I hear you all the lakes here in the Muskokas are slushing up real fast .no lake running for this guy for abit 

Thanks for the update on the D trail the other day Muskoka Man! The conditions were stellar. We Rode Muskoka/Rosseau/Joeseph from Bracebridge to Gravenhurst to Port Carling and up to Parry Sound. We only encountered a couple small spots of slush. must have really gotten bad today with the warmer temps?

Lake Muskoka today between Gravenhurst and Bracebridge, then from Milford Bay to Mortimer's Point. No slush.

2 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Thanks for the update on the D trail the other day Muskoka Man! The conditions were stellar. We Rode Muskoka/Rosseau/Joeseph from Bracebridge to Gravenhurst to Port Carling and up to Parry Sound. We only encountered a couple small spots of slush. must have really gotten bad today with the warmer temps?

Didnt ride today as I had to work but could see the colour of the lake changing and calling for very warm temps on the weekend. Lake riding will be toast as will be Rd riding 

2 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Dennis, I did finish with an lol!

Been stuck many times as a kid with elan's and Enticers in lots of slush. I am just south of Sudbury in Parry Sound and we are starting to get quite a bit of slush on the lakes also. Seem to be able to power through all of it so far.......

With the yammi---LOL

Archived