195 charges laid this past weekend in Eastern Ontario

Yukon

Hopefully people will start getting the message. I wish stats were made available..

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-news/police-snowmobile-unit-lays-195-charges-over-weekend/wcm/71ad128a-cb27-45c2-b8a5-5f934e0a6ab6

I like the trail pass violation part

Too bad the Ottawa Police Services don't patrol the rest of the province. 

Good to hear, agreed would be so much more informative to know what was laid.

Knowing how the media and police sometimes like to stretch things a bit, I also wonder if the real number was 195.....Odot1 might have some inside details that he might share seeing I think he works out that way'ish.

I ran into a a couple trail side stops actually on Sat, the first was three officers at D102B and 54, it was myself and two other riders, officer came over, talked for a short bit asking about the trails & I assume checking out for my permit and sticker, than off I went.....the other two guys that I followed into the check were pulling out all their paperwork to show the officer that was checking them. 

Second stop was I assume a trail patrol guy checking for permits on the D trail heading back into Ghurst.

I did pass a sled that was tapping his helmet, so I assumed there was another check point ahead, but never actually saw or ran through another trails side check.

I got stopped on Family Day too.  My paperwork was almost all in order, except for the little licence sticker wasn't affixed to the ownership.  They let me off with a warning.  I found the sticker putting on the floor of my truck today...phew.

5 minutes ago, Grimm said:

I got stopped on Family Day too.  My paperwork was almost all in order, except for the little licence sticker wasn't affixed to the ownership.  They let me off with a warning.  I found the sticker putting on the floor of my truck today...phew.

You sir are an arch criminal.....ticket for something so benign would be stupid and not serve the public in any way.

Passed same two cops in two different places Sunday in Port Perry. Just made sure I had trail pass and license sticker.

48 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

It would pad the numbers though 

It would, but I would likethink most cops if all else is good would forgive that one. Unless you were mouthy or had other issues, they may just tack it on.That is a large number of fines which leads me to believe that a zero tolerance type enforcement was in effect. so maybe in this case they would have ticketed for it. The Ottawa police service covers a fairly large area since amalgamation you cn be a 1/2 hour away from Ottawa and still be in their jurisdiction, no mention on the number of sleds stopped, but it must have been thousands.

7 hours ago, zoso said:

You sir are an arch criminal.....ticket for something so benign would be stupid and not serve the public in any way.

Agreed, I think I would have lost my cool had I gotten a ticket for that oversight.  

7 hours ago, Grimm said:

Thanks for reminding me to put my little sticker on my ownership and then re-photocopy them and put them back in the sleds....!!!! havnt put that little sticker on my ownership in many many years....but since they are becoming sticklers, i guess i should to avoid any potential problems...

4 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

We have had two valtags stolen from our rental sleds this year more than a little odd both at the same hotel 

People have been warned for years not to keep sticking valtags on top of s 'stack' of them. Makes it easy for someone w/ a knife to peel off the stack leaving current valtag intact.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

People have been warned for years not to keep sticking valtags on top of s 'stack' of them. Makes it easy for someone w/ a knife to peel off the stack leaving current valtag intact.

Yep, I don't let more than a couple/few accumulate before I remove the old ones. Just a hairdryer or heat gun and they come off pretty easy. Stealing them from vehicles also happens quite often so I also make sure those ones don't accumulate either.

This should not be "news" although I am glad they posted it.

We pay for enforcement. 

And receive little.

12 hours ago, Grimm said:

I'm confused! (not a unusual occurrence)

What sticker goes on the onwership?  I just get the one for the licence plate

16 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Most times the person at the mto counter puts it on the back side of ownership....otherwise it's on the same paper as your sticker.

8 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

If you take your registration (ownership) slip to Service Ontario when getting your new stickers, they would put the white copy of the validation sticker on the ownership for you. If you don't take the ownership with you, you would receive both the coloured validation sticker and a white copy of same to take home with you. You are supposed to put the white copy of the sticker on your registration (ownership). On sled registration slips the white sticker goes on the bottom of the front of the registration. On other auto / commercial registration slips the white copy goes on the backside of the slip. 

I get mine online and have them mailed to me.

There is only 1 piece of paper which comes with the licence sticker on it.

I just bought $500 worth of licence stickers (2 sleds & 3 vehicles) 2 year stickers, and I received 5 envelopes in the mail, with just the licence sticker in them.

17 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

I like the trail pass violation part

I like all of it... especially the impaired.

17 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Good job. Now lets make that province wide..8-)

17 hours ago, Blake G said:

Too bad the Ottawa Police Services don't patrol the rest of the province. 

Amen to both. Start some real enforcement and some real consequences. Hit the wallet enough and people will change their behaviour.

8 hours ago, Grimm said:

Agreed, I think I would have lost my cool had I gotten a ticket for that oversight.  

Not a good approach... you start going nuts and they can start being even more picky and make your life even harder.

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

It's a little sticker with a white background and black numbers that correspond to the numbers on your val tag on the sled. They are supposed to match to ensure you haven't stolen the sticker that's on your sled.

I just bought $500 worth of licence stickers (2 sleds & 3 vehicles) 2 year stickers, and I received 5 envelopes in the mail, with just the licence sticker in them.

The coloured sticker and the white sticker are on the same piece of paper at the service Ontario Locations as well as a second white sticker that Service Ontario uses internally.

Right where this guys thumb is, BF. There are normally 2 small stickers there. One goes on the back of your ownership. 

plate.jpg

Ok, I see what your talking about.

Never noticed them before,  guess I've been throwing them out for 36 years now!

But I've been stopped numerous times over those 36 years and never questioned about it.

Strange!

Archived