Timmins to Sudbury

yamaha06

So I’m currently in timmins and heading back to the truck in Sudbury tomorrow morning.  Has anyone rode the L143 trail this year?  Trying to figure out which route would be faster, taking the L143 or coming down the C trail.  Have never rode the L143, attempted to a couple years back but all I really remember was a long icy road which not much for signage.  

I know if we come down L143 we will have to shoot up to shining tree to fill up.  When planning my route on the Ofsc app it shows if I come down L143 and shoot up to shining tree and then head towards Sudbury trail plan association, it’s about 30km less then coming down C trail. 

We were on the C trail Saturday and it was down to a single track with all the snow that they recently got. I think they are having some groomer issues from Shining Tree going north, it got a lot better from the south end of lake Missanabi. Hope this helps you out.

If I remember t correctly the L143 is the grassy lake rd.

Talked to a buddy that ran it on Monday, no groomed, no signs and LOTS of deep snow.

3 hours ago, soupkids said:

Talked to a buddy that ran it on Monday, no groomed, no signs and LOTS of deep snow.

I thought that changed a few years ago and it no longer followed the Grassy Lake road. On my laptop if you enlarge it on the ITG and then move either north or south on the map, it does not follow a road shown on the base map except for a short portion near Triple Lake. The ITG does show Pine St. South to the west of L143.

21 hours ago, soupkids said:

Not the same trail.  L136 used to run Grassy Lake road.  Was super fast for 100 miles.  I prefer the C trail over the L143.  Ran the 143 to Timmins a few weeks ago and it was groomed and marked.

We did end up making it back to the truck yesterday, ended up taking the L143 trail which ended up being a bad idea.  Trail had a lot of deep snow and was pretty much like following a cow path, was not signed very good, a lot of twist and turns through out the entire trail plus a couple downed pine trees in the bush sections.  Of course once we meet up to the C trail near shining tree it was freshly groomed Tuesday night.  Rode into shining tree on the nice groomed trail, filled up and headed towards Sudbury.  C trail going to Sudbury was brutal, body took a good beating.  Once we arrived to the C206D trails were nicely groomed all the way back to the truck at Sudbury trail plan.  All in all was a good 6 days of riding, managed to put 2100km on the machine with no issues.

Archived