Alternative to AC mineral 50 oil

Mcdeez

I have a 500cc arctic cat without powervalves and was looking to make a switch from the AC brand mineral 50 oil to something that will produce a little less smoke. Either synthetic blend or full synthetic. Trying to find a balance between price and availability.  If anyone has made a switch I would love to hear what you switched too and the benefits/ cost of new oil. 

Your going to get a ton of opinions on oil.

Run whatever you like that meets manufacturer specs.  My buddy has run shell oil for 12 years not one problem.

I'm pretty sure that all brands are made by castrol.

Have used Shell Advance Synthetic for years with great results. I have a high mile 2002 AC Suzuki that still runs strong and has never needed power valves cleaned. This oil is readily available and goes on sale quite often at Canadian Tire.

However, ask 100 sledders about oil and get 100 different opinions !

44 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Have used Shell Advance Synthetic for years with great results. I have a high mile 2002 AC Suzuki that still runs strong and has never needed power valves cleaned. This oil is readily available and goes on sale quite often at Canadian Tire.

However, ask 100 sledders about oil and get 100 different opinions !

Did you notice a large reduction in exhaust fumes after switching to this oil?

1 minute ago, Mcdeez said:

Did you notice a large reduction in exhaust fumes after switching to this oil?

Can't really say because I only used Shell from day one in both the 2002 AC 800 and a 2016 Polaris 800. I have another sled in between these 2, but it's a 4 stroke. Just used up whatever was in the sleds from the dealer, and went with the Advance. I have been told that Shell oil seems better for smoke and odour than other oils.

Archived