Green trail =staked lake?

Poo Man

Just because a trail is crossing a lake and is designated green on the ITG does not mean it is safe to cross. At the start of the season the club installs the stakes and signs per the sign guide and turn in the A01 forms. This only means the trail has been set up to the OFSC standards. Ice conditions change. It is up to the rider to take on the responsibility for risking their lives.

2 hours ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

Just because a trail is crossing a lake and is designated green on the ITG does not mean it is safe to cross. At the start of the season the club installs the stakes and signs per the sign guide and turn in the A01 forms. This only means the trail has been set up to the OFSC standards. Ice conditions change. It is up to the rider to take on the responsibility for risking their lives.

While I agree generally with your statement, if you know (or in legal-ease should have known) the ice is unsafe you had better have the ice portion of that trail showing as red on the ITG since by our own policy statement the ITG is the sole source of trail status info for the province. 

As for the A01 form, it can not be completed until the lake is staked. So why would you stake an unsafe lake? Once you stake it and file the A01 the onus is on the club to monitor ice conditions and advise any changes in ice conditions (minimum twice per week). That would include checking thickness and quality of ice at reasonable intervals along the trail. 

3 hours ago, zoso said:

Sorry but the Provincial government has very limited jurisdiction on lakes. the one they just got was impaired charges being tied to the provincial dl, and that had to get the blessing of the feds. So the quote above does not pertain to lakes, nor has the LG attempted to do so. Again, the information the OFSC is providing clubs is wrong. Like I always say, just because you do not like it, does not make it true. i know you love to tow the line, but man, take the blinders off, this one is obvious. Further you should not want a prescribed trail on a body of water, if that were the case the OPP would be doing radar on the stake lines and nobody wants that. Well nobody other than perhaps cops.

Tow the line, blinders ??   The ofsc does not consider stake lines to be prescribed trail,  and they have never asked clubs to sign as such ?   My posting the link was in reference to that the OFSC doesn't decide what is or is not a prescribed trail, that is up to the province to tell the OFSC what can and cannot be.  Permits are property of the MTO, which makes them the temporary/seasonal occupier of the trail system, the OFSC is the custodian of the program. 

2 hours ago, Nutter said:

Tow the line, blinders ??   The ofsc does not consider stake lines to be prescribed trail,  and they have never asked clubs to sign as such ?   My posting the link was in reference to that the OFSC doesn't decide what is or is not a prescribed trail, that is up to the province to tell the OFSC what can and cannot be.  Permits are property of the MTO, which makes them the temporary/seasonal occupier of the trail system, the OFSC is the custodian of the program. 

According to the trail signage guide, if a lake is on the map you sign it as per the trail sign guide. Others have posted they believe that to mean that prescribed trail signs are to be posted as stated in the guide. This would be the OFSC error.

Archived