Shelburne Durham Markdale report

coolbane

I went from Teviotdale to Markdale and up the rail line to swing back around Durham today. Can you say ROUGH!! Pretty much anything south of Durham isn’t worth it. Need a good 10” of packed snow everywhere. Yes some spots are ok but I’d steer clear if anyone is thinking of anything in that area. Was a nice sunny day anyhow and put another 200 km on the sled. Not bad for March 1st. I wonder what the heck anything in Burford is open for. Gotta be pretty bad around there too. 

Thanks for the update 

Just got back from riding fergus to Arthur. Was ok, but Arthur needs snow pretty bad. Ploughed fields hurt the sled tonight I’m sure. 

Trails will be shot come Monday....

I would start on rail line from Orangeville to Owen sound some where,and explore markdale area.dont go to far west or south of markdale and conditions are good.I did 185 miles Mt Forest to Meaford(thin there too) to Owen Sound to Mt Forest on Thursday.Also lost trail on the way into Walters falls and ran roads into there(not recommended).If MtForest groomed plowed Fields (lots)before they froze there trails would be ok but I guess they probably get enough snow most years yo not have to(not this year)

9 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Just got back from riding fergus to Arthur. Was ok, but Arthur needs snow pretty bad. Ploughed fields hurt the sled tonight I’m sure. 

Trails will be shot come Monday....

My carbides are shot,1 idler wheels chewed,and slides need replaced but we’re getting low anyways

Did anybody get the car unstuck on trail northeast of mt Forest Thursday out?I tried to help old fellow but it was to stuck and wasn’t hookin my sled to it!Was a nice sunny day so he was walkin(no phone) to house near by.Gotta love no winter maintenance roads

11 hours ago, ecarnell said:

Anyone ride Durham / markdale area today? Conditions ?

Ya, I did, 

Conditions were generally OK, except for a few ploughed fields which were windswept and bare in patches. I'd ride it again, if I wasn't getting on a plane this evening. 

Most of the trails have an OK base, which is surprising considering that there is not alot of snow in this area. Markdale was better than Durham. 

Met my brother from Cambridge in Mount Forest and dropped at the high school at noon on Sunday. We rode  a loop to Owen sound and back. Trails were rough as we expected for the end of a busy weekend. Bro has been coaching kids hockey so he had not been out this year. 150 miles in an afternoon on rough trails but he was still smiling. At least until Monday morning....

Snow coverage was not bad/better than expected overall.  Durham/ Markdale North was fine and the road running was not even bad with the snow that fell while riding. Looks like they are getting some flurries today again so should be similar.  I would say anything groomed since the week end would make nice trails.

Dropped at Snowmobiles Unlimited. Rode up the west side of Durham and up to Walter's Falls Inn  for lunch.

Rode the Doo for a change just to see what it was like. Missed my big kitty all day.

3-4 inches of fresh snow over night helped this area greatly. (I suspect other clubs will open a few more trails for the weekend.)

We were making first tracks for the first hour. Didn't see another sled until almost noon. The railbed and west side of Durham are being ridden more heavily. We made our way back down the B111. Closer to Durham there are a couple fields with tops showing and corners in the bush are bare on the inside but over all really good ride.

Durham's groomer is broke down and their Facebook page says they don't expect to get it mobile before the weekend. Too bad cause they could work wonders tonight. Markdale groomer was out today.

DurhamMarch62019.jpeg.90c7c67b456843328c8691b9a3dc6b63.jpeg

Durhammarch62019-2.jpeg.e22a495a3e27a485760fb79e51dd4c38.jpeg

DurhamMarch62019-3.jpeg.9868d297a194e6b172b0ac86f1d2abb1.jpeg

DurhamMarch62019-4.jpeg.af458a162098357b6d513431c40a615b.jpeg

Get out there and ride folks. The weekend weather looks damaging and the long range is more warm and rain. This may have been my last ride unless I can get north next week.

Archived