Shelburne Durham Markdale report

coolbane

Three of us rode 275 k today on mostly great trails.  From Shelburne to Markdale via Granny trail. Up to Holland centre then down around Durham.  The only ungroomed section was trail from N of Markdale down to Durham.  Base was mostly good except for a few spots on railline and on ploughed fields. It is amazing how good the trails are, considering how little snow is in this area.  

I’d do the area again this week if I could get out of work.  I didn’t take pics of the bare spots 

36202FDB-6C92-4371-9CB9-F7A2FF7C7BC5.jpeg

791F8A83-8E75-408B-ABDE-1AFB91140C77.jpeg

6FE2E733-1D88-4571-B618-4FE62D7A9808.jpeg

If the snow doesnt go away this week, I think I will head up to that area on Friday.  

Looks good! But I’m saving my nickels for northern riding. We were tempted to go back out close to home again, but after riding through a few very thin fields in the wasaga area on Saturday, we chose not to take the chance again. 

Great shots thanks for sharing. Your first photo looks like you guys are stopped dangerously close in a corner. ??????

great news thanks for the update

we ran that area on Saturrday and it was pretty good...must say though, we ran up towards Lions Head and once we got past Wiarton area towards Lions Head, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnthere was alot of road running...with warm temps I am not sure I would have any sliders left running up there...

headed to that area tomorrow, whats a good loop from shallow lake........whats good spot to eat? 

4 hours ago, SteveB said:

Great shots thanks for sharing. Your first photo looks like you guys are stopped dangerously close in a corner. ??????

Ah, the internet experts. Do you know that particular corner????

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Hoping to squeeze one last ride in this area before the warm temps come. Looking at the forecast,  seems like I need to go tomorrow though.

Get out there Blackstar. We must get out to ride again soon. I haven't been out with you since your first day on the 7000, when you convinced me to buy a POS 7000!!!

4 hours ago, SteveB said:

Yes I agree.  Been sledding with him a few times. He stops in some unusually spots. Like middle of roads. Blind hills. Open water. Just don't stop him in cool safe windy spots. 

1 hour ago, coolbane said:

Ah, the internet experts. Do you know that particular corner????

I sense you did not appreciate my comment.

No Internet expert here, not trying to be a smart ass, and I do not know the "corner". Just saying, in the photo it looks like you are close to the corner. I can only assume by your reaction to even comment on my observation, you do not know the "danger" of stopping in a corner or just outside of one. I can help walk you through the "danger" in further detail if you need it. 

3 hours ago, coolbane said:

Get out there Blackstar. We must get out to ride again soon. I haven't been out with you since your first day on the 7000, when you convinced me to buy a POS 7000!!!

Ya, we should try to get out again. Been tough to plan anything in the south for the last 4 years though.

I've read about your troubles with the 7000, sorry to hear. I ditched mine before I got many miles on it.

I found a buddy to ride with tomorrow so looks like I will get a few more kms before it melts.

7 hours ago, Diceman said:

we ran that area on Saturrday and it was pretty good...must say though, we ran up towards Lions Head and once we got past Wiarton area towards Lions Head, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnthere was alot of road running...with warm temps I am not sure I would have any sliders left running up there...

how bad is it? might head that way tomorrow was there decent snow? I don't mind running ditches if needed but don't like a ton of roads. 

6 hours ago, Motorhead said:

Yes I agree.  Been sledding with him a few times. He stops in some unusually spots. Like middle of roads. Blind hills. Open water. Just don't stop him in cool safe windy spots. 

Just for background information on this guy, here is how Motorhead parks his sled. 

Picture 024.jpg

18 hours ago, diesel04 said:

how bad is it? might head that way tomorrow was there decent snow? I don't mind running ditches if needed but don't like a ton of roads. 

well some roads you can run the side or ditch but after the sunshine yesterday I am guessing that most roads are bare...it kinda reminded me of atving abit in southern Ontario,,,ride a bush area then run road aways to next section of bush.....bush trails however are excellent and club did an amazing job on trails....

5 hours ago, Motorhead said:

Again the skidoo is parked in the middle of the road.

The issue is, he does not even understand he is a liability. He does not know what a danger he is to the riding community and himself. Common sense goes a long way  but some people ......

forget it. You just can't fix stupid even with duct tape. 

On 2/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, Blackstar said:

Ya, we should try to get out again. Been tough to plan anything in the south for the last 4 years though.

I've read about your troubles with the 7000, sorry to hear. I ditched mine before I got many miles on it.

I found a buddy to ride with tomorrow so looks like I will get a few more kms before it melts.

Did you get out on Wednesday? What does it look like

5 hours ago, coolbane said:

Did you get out on Wednesday? What does it look like

Didn't go because of the forecast for freezing rain....which didn't come until 8pm last night.:shock:

Going Friday now regardless of conditions.

Dropped in Varney. Rode west then north around the west side of Durham. Once on the railbed we headed north to Owen Sound. Turned east on the B and had lunch at Ted's. South out of Ted's, down through Walter's Falls and back to the rail bed. Stopped for gas at Holland Centre. 22 liters for the 800 Etec, 35 liters for the turbo kitty, premium at $1.21 to boot. Came back down the east side of Durham.

All trails were in pretty good shape. Trails on east side of Durham were getting a bit beat up from traffic. Only bad section was just outside of Owen Sound where the trail runs through a construction site for 1000'. I see that section is now closed. Even the gravel roads were good and there are plenty of them around that loop. Sad how much trail has been lost around this area.

Has anyone ridden Durham, markdale, meaford, OS lately? 

I am seriously thinking about heading to Durham tomorrow by myself.   I will post some pics/reports along the way. 

Archived